C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Strange electric behaviour + 5 OBD circuit errors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C200K w203 m111
Strange electric behaviour + 5 OBD circuit errors

2002 C200K m111 engine, 203k km on clock. This will be the first time I'll try my hand at fixing a car, since health is forcing me into retirement.

For about a year or 2 the car started losing power intermittently, as if the Kompressor suddenly stopped working. CEL light comes on, one OBD error message (I am sorry, I do not know the code, just wasn't interested at the time... This mighty has fallen!). Each time my local mechanic could clear the error for me, the car would regain it's power and everything would be fine for quite a few months. He never mentioned that he did anything else (a friend that did not want my money), and I'll only be able to ask him in the next world.

A month ago the problem appeared again - NO power, CEL, and this time rough idling. It went in to the new town mechanic, ran fine for a day or two, then back to (ab)normal. He replaced the MAF sensor, the car ran fine for a week or two, and... pffft.

Some things make me wonder if there is a central electrical issue. About a week ago, when I turned the key to position 2 the dash lights started disappearing, the indicator lights outside would flash, the dash would flash, the indicators would flash, etc. Only the one time, though. Also, I bought an ELM327 scanner and got the following readings, all circuit related:

(Please note: this is exactly how the messages showed up on Torque Lite, even though the descriptions do not correlate with fault codes I looked up on different sites.)

p0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
p0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
p0010 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction, Hot-film mass-air sensor ME-SFI – fault code description.
p0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
p0414 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve A Circuit Shorted

So, maybe a short somewhere (like p0414 ) and something I can push the mechanic on a bit, since he did a full service on the car a month before all these new symptoms showed up? I believe I'll be able to work on all these faults thanks to thorough videos and articles on the 'net, but there seems to be a central problem to me. And, no money left, so I'll have to learn to cope

I thank you for your kind help.