C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Broken Tilt Column Lock Repair Instructions Needed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C240 4MATIC
Broken Tilt Column Lock Repair Instructions Needed?

Hi, I have a 2005 C240 with a broken manual tilt steering column, column won't lock and I need to fix this. I want to make it work correctly again. I've been searching everywhere for detailed repair instructions and had no luck. Anyone know where I could find these instructions? I'm guessing that I have to remove steering wheel, bottom cover under dash and so on....a disassembly aid/study guide would be great! Thanks in advance

Old 02-15-2020, 06:24 PM

C230K
Originally Posted by daredevil95
Hi, I have a 2005 C240 with a broken manual tilt steering column, column won't lock and I need to fix this. I want to make it work correctly again. I've been searching everywhere for detailed repair instructions and had no luck. Anyone know where I could find these instructions? I'm guessing that I have to remove steering wheel, bottom cover under dash and so on....a disassembly aid/study guide would be great! Thanks in advance
Its a not too hard to fix, just an awkward spot to work. There’s a rod that has this plastic ball sortve thing sticks through it. They break easily. The rod is probably just hanging freely. I used a cotter pin. Didn’t remove the center console or dashboard. Took 3 minutes. I’ll send some pictures

Last edited by Mivan; 02-15-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:44 PM

C230K
Originally Posted by Mivan
Its a not too hard to fix, just an awkward spot to work. There’s a rod that has this plastic ball sortve thing sticks through it. They break easily. The rod is probably just hanging freely. I used a cotter pin. Didn’t remove the center console or dashboard. Took 3 minutes. I’ll send some pictures
Not sure how to share a thread so I just copy/pasted this persons instructions

The rod was just hanging freely, you have to feel around for it.
:

stwilson , 09-21-2012 05:39 PM
Thanks Outkasted24. After disconnecting the battery, I pulled the bottom cover off (the one above the gas and break pedals), slid in under there with a flashlight and played with the manual lock lever until I figured out what needed to be done. The manual lock lever (under steering wheel) connects to a plastic slider thing (under/behind dash) that connects to a black plastic threaded rod that fits thru a hole and this engages the locking lever.....the rod was almost invisible, as I did not know what I was looking for and it was not in the hole of the locking lever but dangling in space (it was dark under there and I stumbled upon it by feeling around). The end of this rod had broken off and it was no longer inside the hole on the slider or anchored -only way I know how to say it), which was preventing it from engaging when the locking lever was pushed back into place.

I adjusted the steering column to the desired height and then pulled the black plastic threaded rod with a pair of pliers to engage the locking mechanism. Basically, I set it manually and went about my business for the day. Total repair time was about 25 minutes.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:27 AM

C240 4MATIC
Thanks for the responses, I would like to repair it in one setting but, I need to repair the tilt steering so it could be adjusted again. Different sized people drive this car, it's kind of a family loaner car so, adjusting the column is required. I'm gonna tackle the repair but, was hoping for some insight as to how to approach the repair process. Any links to a repair/disassembly guide? Couldn't find anything while researching google. Thanks in advance and I appreciated the suggestions.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:33 AM

C230K
Mine is completely functional. Adjusts in and out or up and down like new. Here is a link with decent pictures and explanation. I didn’t use a screw like this guy, I used a cotter pin, the ones that look like
an R. If you still are having trouble, I’ll go out to car and walk through the steps with pictures if you need. It was pretty easy once I felt the rod hanging in the abyss and put it back through its slot. Took me 5 minutes. The dealership quote was $678, an my father in law is the general manager! I was much happier with the .05 cent pin.

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/th...5/post-8647897
The following users liked this post:
daredevil95 (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 09:38 AM

C240 4MATIC
Thanks....I'l give the pin a try!
Old 02-21-2020, 12:01 AM

C240 4MATIC
I completed the quick and easy repair a couple days ago, installed a cotter pin into the end of the rod. My tilt wheel works but, the telescoping does not so, that's good enough for me! It's a pretty easy job and I made a cell phone video to show others what to look for and what to do. I hope this helps future people that read this thread.