C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

1.8 liter C coupes are on the way!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
600cc Rice Rockets develop 100hp at 15,000+ rpm and are buzzy and not the type of HP I want, not on a car anyway. I've enjoyed my Buell which developes 101hp but with a 1200cc twin so I had power at 4-5000 rpm where it was comfortable and I didn't have to downshift it to pass. The smaller bore motors require too much shifting at high revs to keep the motor in it's power band. I hope that the smaller 1.8 motor doesn't have the same problem as on the Honda S2000 where you have to drive it like you're mad it to get the power out of it.

I got the coupe as a compromise to the Subaru WRX I originally wanted so the coupes power is marginal for me, any less, without any tuning capabilities would have steered me to the Subie in a heart beat. I see WRX's and I sigh. My wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting a Subie over an MB.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 coupe 6sp
Buellwinkle, Your wife is right. Anyone who wants a Subaru over a Mercedes is nuts. As is anyone who wants a Buell over a comparably priced Japanese sportbike. If you have to have a twin, at least get a Ducati so you have something that handles good, and has good brakes!
Old 05-08-2002, 08:27 AM

2002 C230k
Originally posted by speedfrk
Buellwinkle, Your wife is right. Anyone who wants a Subaru over a Mercedes is nuts. As is anyone who wants a Buell over a comparably priced Japanese sportbike. If you have to have a twin, at least get a Ducati so you have something that handles good, and has good brakes!
As a died in the wool Ducati fan (My first new bike was a '91 907, I still own it. My other bike is a 996. I traded in a 900ss for it) I have to say, you're kidding, right?

Up until recently, Ducati's were known for having poor brakes. As for handling, a Buell turns faster than any Ducati has ever dreamed of. Personally I prefer the more stable (read "slower") steering of the Duc, but that's just my preference. If I had spent my youth on racetracks, as Erik Buell did, my story might be different.

I've met Erik Buell and have the utmost respect for him and his bikes. I'm wondering when you rode one last if you're claiming the Duc has vastly better brakes/handling...

Strangely enough, I was also rather taken by the WRX, but decided my boy racer days are over.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:51 AM
hrh
Almost a Member!

C230K
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I got the coupe as a compromise to the Subaru WRX I originally wanted so the coupes power is marginal for me, any less, without any tuning capabilities would have steered me to the Subie in a heart beat. I see WRX's and I sigh. My wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting a Subie over an MB.
I looked at the Scubie too, having owned a couple in my snow-covered college days. Until I sat in it. It's a 12K car with another 12K in engine and transmission. The car felt so cheap, I could not see spending 24K on it. One reviewer commented that they weren't sure if parts would fall off before the short-term road test was over. I thought that was harsh, but having seen the car, I had to agree.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:06 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Craig,
Are you honestly saying that you think a Buell will run with your 996 on a race track? Actually I haven't ridden a Buell in several years, and maybe the one I rode wasn't what is out now, but I didn't like it. It is really hard to compare bikes-or cars without a side by side test. That's why the magazines do it that way. Just because the Buell has quick steering, doesn't mean it handles good. BTW, "vastly superior" is your words not mine. I don't remember much about the brakes on early Ducs, but certainly in the last 4 or 5 years, the brakes have been good. I will ask my friend who is the head test engineer at Dunlops proving grounds what he thinks of the Buell. He and I used to race together, and he of course has ridden everything there is to ride.
I too, was interested in the WRX until I shut the door. "Crude, but effective" is the phrase that comes to mind.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: Tuning

Originally posted by Mike T.
It's at 107 DIN HP per L. That's high already (the 2.3 is only at 86 DIN HP/L). A 2.3 with the same specific power as the 1.8 would have 246 DIN HP.
I think one of the best ever specific outputs for an automotive engine was BMWs mid-80s 1.5L F1 motor (which actually used a stock BMW engine block and not a fancy race casting).

It had about 900 HP per L.

That's what 77 psi of turbo boost will do for power. Of course the racing press at the time used to call it "grenading" when one of these motors failed - usually rather spectacularly as one might imagine.

BT
Old 05-08-2002, 07:40 PM

2002 C230k
Originally posted by speedfrk
Craig,
Just because the Buell has quick steering, doesn't mean it handles good. BTW, "vastly superior" is your words not mine. I don't remember much about the brakes on early Ducs, but certainly in the last 4 or 5 years, the brakes have been good.
True, there's more to handling than quick steering, but some people think ducati's steer like trucks, and the buell probably feels better to them. Yes, vastly superior was my term. but you did say buy a Duc to get a bike that handles well.. ie the Duc does but the buell doesn't... so it comes down to defining "vast' which I'm sure neither of us cares to do.

As for brakes, if you get the chance read a review of an 851 or early 900ss or whatever from the early 90s. the brakes will likely be panned, or it will be mentioned how this year's are better than last year's... in any case Japanese bikes have had great brakes for a lot longer than Ducati. (Ride my 907 right after a 996. Yikes! or maybe a better comparo is a 900RR or something of that vintage) As much as I like the brakes on my 996, they're no better than some of the japanese bikes I've ridden...

But enough thread highjacking. Suffice it to say the rider makes a lot bigger difference than the bike anyway. Doug Polen could likely smoke me on a dang moped let alone a buell. oops. my age is showing, isn't it?

Last edited by Spyke; 05-08-2002 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:09 PM

2002 C230k
I didn't even get around to driving the WRX. I opened the door. I think it weighed about 5 pounds, that was enough for me.