C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Redline

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redline

Can any of you guys enlighten me to my problem...

sometimes...(i don't know why)...i like to play with my touch shift..at a red light...1....then 2....and while i was thinking to push it to the redline.....my smart car pushes it up to 3 automatically...

i used to have another car (not in this country) which does not do this..and while in city-driving, when i sometimes forgot that my car is in "stick-shift" mode....it will just go into the red zone...at that time...i will appreciate it if the car will automatically shift it..

but now....i really want it to be an obedient car.....too smart is not tat good after all..
Old 05-02-2002, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
yup, the new c-class won't let you damage the car so it will upshift for you at redline (or very near it). i think it's ok.
(don't do this in older c-class or some other class cars... some do not have this safety feature)

i was reading the manual and it talks about 3 modes of accelerating. gentle pressure. hard pressure. and full throttle! and the shifting will vary depending upon how you step on it. upshifting at later points.

i also can confirm that the car will downshift as you slow down.

(also, sort of a side note. i found out that the FSS can be reset by the driver...)

Last edited by young; 05-03-2002 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by young
yup, the new c-class won't let you damage the car so it will upshift for you at redline (or very near it). i think it's ok.

i was reading the manual and it talks about 3 modes of accelerating. gentle pressure. hard pressure. and full throttle! and the shifting will vary depending upon how you step on it. upshifting at later points.

i also can confirm that the car will downshift as you slow down.

(also, sort of a side note. i found out that the FSS can be reset by the driver...)
does anyone experience a delay it takes a cupple seconds to shift after you shift for it. and by the way do any of u down shift when u are comming to a stop? or do u stop just say when its in "4" then down shift to first. and if u try to down shift when u are slowing down do u fell the car basicly Jerk then it goes to a lower gear. it does not come close to red line. but is this bad.?

by the way does this maker u go any quicker?
Old 05-02-2002, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
yes, there is a slight delay. i'd say about 1/2 second. on the bmw, it's like a whole second.

i don't downshift as i slow down; after coming to a stop, i will downshift back down to 1 or 2. but as i slow down, i can feel the slight jerk as the car downshifts for me. (what i would like to do is compare the touchshift on a e-class or clk b/c i hear the c-class is faster)

so here's how i use the touchshift:

when i'm cruising and i want to pass someone, i'll hold the shifter to the left which will automatically downshift to the lowest safest gear (3 or 4 usually), and i can get more power to pass. at around 5k or 5.5k rpm, i'll shift back up to D(5) again.

when i'm at a stop. and the ford windstar next to me wants to race... nah
Old 05-03-2002, 12:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Daily: VW GTI Vr6 Leasure: SLK350
Young, tell me more~

Young!
Tell me more about restting the FSS.

polo_jcp@yahoo.com
Old 05-03-2002, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well..there is a delay for me..and when i downshift..i feel a jerk...which i hate...
Old 05-03-2002, 01:26 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe

does anyone experience a delay it takes a cupple seconds to shift after you shift for it. and by the way do any of u down shift when u are comming to a stop? or do u stop just say when its in "4" then down shift to first....

Damn, I've never downshifted to first, 2nd is good enough.
Old 05-04-2002, 12:03 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by young
i'll hold the shifter to the left which will automatically downshift to the lowest safest gear (3 or 4 usually), and i can get more power to pass. at around 5k or 5.5k rpm, i'll shift back up to D(5) again.

when i'm at a stop. and the ford windstar next to me wants to race... nah
so lets just say yout going 40mph and u wanna pass a car u hold the shifter to the left or tap it? i know if u hold it at a stop it goes to 1 if u hold it when driving does it do that or as u said if u just hold it to the left it will got to the lowest safest gear? it would not let me go to 1 or 2? not like i want to from that speed i just wanna know if it will let me rewin it or if it knows?
thanks
Old 05-04-2002, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

black..u are a senior member..so pardon me if my info is not accurate to u...

this is what happen to me today...i wanted to pass someone real bad..cos he make me spill my coffee in my coupe..luckily...on my bag..

From my experience and memory....i shift it left twice..and down it went to 3...i think that even if u hold it..there will be a delay...i am not very sure about it though..
Old 05-05-2002, 01:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Xeon
black..u are a senior member..so pardon me if my info is not accurate to u...

this is what happen to me today...i wanted to pass someone real bad..cos he make me spill my coffee in my coupe..luckily...on my bag..

From my experience and memory....i shift it left twice..and down it went to 3...i think that even if u hold it..there will be a delay...i am not very sure about it though..
ohh yea i guess we all have the same delay, to bad it does not shift the seconed u tap it. i am still wondering if u are driving and hold it to the left if it will keep going down or stop at a safe gear i dont wanna try it. lol
Old 05-05-2002, 07:47 AM
Almost a Member!

C270CDI Avantgarde 2001 Sedan AMG rims and skirts
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe

ohh yea i guess we all have the same delay, to bad it does not shift the seconed u tap it. i am still wondering if u are driving and hold it to the left if it will keep going down or stop at a safe gear i dont wanna try it. lol
I drove a C220CDI with an automatic for about an year. If you keep the stick to the left it will select a safe gear.

I tried my best to get it to make a mistake, but I didn't succeed . Even if you let it rev it wil slow down very nicely at the red line. Not good for a sprint, cause it takes a while to build up momentum again after you put it in next gear...

Mark