C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Car getting painted for no reason????HELP!!!????????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004.5 C230 Kompressor
Car getting painted for no reason????HELP!!!????????

How's it going everyone. I f--kin taxi hit me about a month ago in NYC. I had to deal with a commercial insurance company for 2 months until I was finally able to get me car in the shop. I took it to a guy they my family has dealt with for 20 years, and he has been there for over 30. He is suppose to be really good.

My car has been i the shop now for over a week. The shell, skin, handle and some mouldings are being replaced. I went to see what was taking so long, and I saw half the car being painted! I was wondering what the hell was going on! I thought since only the door was damaged, only the door was going to be painted.

He told me the car's paint needed to be blended. My car is only 6 months old, and I have kept it in pristine condition. In 6 months, I must have only needed to wash it 8 or 9 times since its been in the garage. The paint was perfect. Now I am worried the whole damn car is going to be f---ed up.

Is this guy doing me the favor of doing it right ?? Or is there something wrong here?? I did ask him to remove a tiny scratch on my bumper, but I didn't ask him to paint the whole damn car!!!!!!!!!

I need advise here from some auto body people. This is very upsetting to me.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:22 PM

ARRR
don't worry, the paint does need to be blended... otherwise it's hard to match... same thing for some people who got new style front bumpers, if they just paint the bumper and don't match it, it just might come out a shade different and it's ugly... so most people spend more money on the paint job to blend the car in than the bumper itself. don't worry bro!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
the paint needs to be blended in order to match properly. my accident required the front driver fender to be replaced and bumper. my hood, doors, and front fenders were all painted to blend the paint properly. trust me, if they are reputable and know what they are doing, then everything will be ok. sounds like he's doing it right to me.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Almost a Member!

2004.5 C230 Kompressor
this is upsetting bro. I spent hours claying and making sure the paint was perfect. I also (as Steve mentioned when he was here 2 weeks ago) know the door skin/shell will not be stamped(crimped) like the factory door.

I am really worried about swirl marks now. I don't want him to buff it or anything, but what the hell do I know.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by CitronC230K_03
... sounds like he's doing it right to me.

I totally agree.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:39 PM
Almost a Member!

2004.5 C230 Kompressor
at first when I saw the whole car being painted, I thought maybe he used a different type of paint or something. I thought maybe he didn't get the MB paint, and he used a similar paint. But seriously, I am no pro so I can't judge because I just don't know.

It's been almost 2 months since I've driven my car. I can't take the damn thing anywhere because the window got stuck.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by kompressor2004
this is upsetting bro. I spent hours claying and making sure the paint was perfect. I also (as Steve mentioned when he was here 2 weeks ago) know the door skin/shell will not be stamped(crimped) like the factory door.

I am really worried about swirl marks now. I don't want him to buff it or anything, but what the hell do I know.
Don't forget; your car has been exposed to the weather. The paint will have changed. You just don't notice the gradual change because you look at it every day and try to take care of it. Remember that wet paint will look completely different than dry paint. He is doing the right thing. HTH
Old 07-30-2004, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
mine was in the shop for nearly 6 weeks. i had to wait for the insurance blah blah blah, that took 3 weeks until they could start it. then they ordered the parts and started the work. they use MB paint. at least my body shop did. i dont know of many citron green cars that arent MB. if you went to a good body shop you should have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:46 PM

2004 E55 AMG WAGON
Make sure that if you have a car with the Nano Technology paint that the repair paint is the same . Lots of shops no matter how good they are will use the paint system they have in stock. The Nano paint is special and you want to make sure that the car is fixed using the exact same stuff that is on it. If this means that the shop needs to buy all of the components of the Nano system then so be it. That's why you pay for insurance, so that it is there when you need it. On the note of blending, all the advice is correct. Blending a panel requires spraying into the adjacent panels and usually clearing the whole side.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:00 PM

2001 C240 Tectite
I don't wanna be the bearer of bad news but here it goes.

If the paint wasnt done at your Mercedes dealer then there is no more protection if your car ever rusts around or under the painted area since the advisor can tell by calculating the depth of paint.

Also you can't wash your car for a month and no was for 3 months.

Had the same trouble with my rear door's that was repainted due to a small scratch, even though it was done at mercedes, it was more than a year ago and now a litle bit of rust appeared, and no, it's no protected by the warranty.