C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

c70 vs c230 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 kompressor C2 C7
c70 vs c230 coupe

ok, i am dying to get my 230 coupe. my build date was on 4/30. today i was at work, and went for a walk. i was walking down one of those mile of cars. i looked at this and that, couldn't find an rx8 or 350z. looked at the s2000 again, they still want 6000 over sticker( no way) it isn't that rare, there was 3 on the lot, then i come to the volvo dealer. there it is, a c70. i have always liked this model. so i ask the sales guy how much it was, and he says this is a new 2001. and it is 8000 off sticker. they want like 32000 for it. now the wheels in my head start to spin. this is a high pressure inline 5, with 236 horsepower. i really don't know much about the car. there are two things that jump to mind that i don't like about the car. first is it is front wheel drive, and second is a 2001 model. i looked on kelly blue book, and the car is basically selling for trade in price. the car has 99 miles on it and it has never been registered. what does everyone/anyone think?
Old 05-04-2002, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic

this car??? heheh, very tempting! the year doesn't bother me as much. i'd also have preferred a RWD but FWD is ok w/ me. i just checked carsdirect and it is selling below invoice in philly area.

it's a good deal so i'd consider it.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:03 PM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
young,
it is that car, it has the 17" wheels and is the same color. in person the color is cool. it is metalic grey with a slight hint of blue when viewed from an angle with the sun just right.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:58 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
well...IMO you'll have to think about what is your actual window price for the C230K coupe you ordered and compare it with the C70's price.

personally i like the C70 better than the C coupe since C70 is a true coupe not just a hatchback. the C70 handles quite well for a FWD. i have test drived it when i made my decision with my late 328CI back in 2000. C70 is faster in the straight but i would expect it to be a little less agile compare to the C coupe. and Volvo are not to far behind when it comes to safety

my advice is...go back to the volvo dealer and ask for a test drive, so you can really give a thought. keep in mine that C70's original msrp was around 43k fully loaded (if i didn't remembered it wrong)

doesn't matter if you get a C coupe or not you are still welcome to this forum and talk to us about your car.

happy hunting
Old 05-05-2002, 01:10 AM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
thanks for the imput, the c70's asking price is now like 32000, that puts it only 3000 more than the coupe that i have on order. the c70 also adds power seats, seat heaters, and has a good stereo with indash changer(3 disc) i sure wasn't expecting to have this decision to make. before today, my biggest question was what personalized plates to get. i am going to the dealer tommorow. and going back to the mb dealer too for a second test drive. i am going to tell my mb sales guy the whole story. he is a straight shooting guy, and he will understand if i change my mind. i just don't know for sure if i will be able to get my deposit back. if i can't get back the deposit, i am pretty sure that i will stick with the mb. decisions decisions
Old 05-05-2002, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
The C70 is a nice car, but there are a few things to consider:

1. it's a FWD car. Of course on a highway in a straight line it's fantastic and will beat the living crap out of the C Coupe and many a Bimmer. But it doesn't handle nearly as well, has bad torque steer, and its front end is very heavy due to uneven weight distribution.

2. Unlike all other current Volvo models, it's built on an old platform (same as 850) that dates back to 1991-1992.

3. It's notorious for quality problems that are common among all Volvo S/V/C70 - in 1997 Volvo's quality took a plunge that lasted pretty much until they replaced those models with the new P2 platform in 2001. Note, that the C70 is *not* based on this new platform.

So, it's for a reason that they are selling well below MSRP now. It would have been a good choice 5 years ago, but now... I'd pick the C Coupe (which I did - my other car is a '98 Volvo S70).

Just my 0.02

P.S. I'd sure wish to have the Volvo's inline 5 with the high pressure turbo in my Coupe... Awesome engine that's easily tuned to 270 Hp with a chip swap.

Last edited by vadim; 05-05-2002 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2002, 01:20 AM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
excellent point from someone that owns a volvo. that is just what the doctor ordered. i know there has to be a reason for everything in this world. and there too is a reason that volvo is having to discount this car this low. i knew it was built on an older platform, but wasn't aware of how old. so i guess the car is priced appropriate for its short commings and strengths. well tommorow i will get a chance to see for my self.
Old 05-05-2002, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
stick with the Benz...

The Volvo, though nice and relatively good-looking for a Swedish shoebox is not as good a choice as the C 230 K. So, don't get it unless you are a Volvo freak and want to keep it for a LONG time. It'll depreciate like a stone thrown in water (hey. it's already lost $8K US in value and it's not even been sold yet...) and the C 230 K will handle better.

Besides, your C 230 K has the "apparently more desirable" 2.3 litre engine, it'll be a collector's item soon
Old 05-05-2002, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Frankly speaking...I love the C70....elegant looking..classy...

well..if i were offered a c70 for 32,000..i guess i won't be in this forum...but then...something to share with you guys

My family own a 850 T-5 R Limited..not those u see on US road..i am not sure if they are avaliable here..from what i remember last time...the dealer told us that is is a limited edition car...not regular T-5....and guess what..that car..beat my SLK 230 flat!...on acceleration and speed....i was driving the slk...and tried to overtake my mum in the T-5 R....well...i am the more aggressive driver..but then..too bad...she had the better car...haha...

So..test drive the C70....forget the S2000....don't wait for the 350Z....and if you like it..abandon the Coupy....if not...we always welcome you here!
Old 05-05-2002, 04:37 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
850 T-5 R is a very nice car and yes, it was sold in the U.S. i have seen many of them on the road but hard to find though.

the 850/70 series chassi is very solid even for today. thanks to the boxy swedish engineering.

another reason i think that Volvo is selling C70 below msrp is because its main competitors 328/330 coupe and CLK 320 are doing so well in the U.S. market and C70 is just not hot enough to compare with those two. also i think that the low price is because of that 01 or 02 is going to be the last year in production for the C70 (i might be wrong though)

I'd say take the C70 for a test drive while you still have a chance.
Old 05-05-2002, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A minor correction...the 850 was available in North America in the summer of 1994 (because I was one of the few to have the first shipment). I test drove a C70 back in '99 when I traded my 850, since I would like to have an AWD car, I ended up getting a S70 AWD. Volvo made some very solid cars. To date, the S70 is still like new! The only complaint about the S70/C70 is the handling. It can be categorized as "awful". If you were to get a C70, treat it as if you're driving a sedan. On a straightaway, you can beat up many European competitors, but you'll lose in a very ugly way on twisties.
Just ask yrself one question....will you settle luxury for handling? The C70 is one of the top model in the Volvo lineup, the C-coupe is not quite in the same class.
Old 05-05-2002, 06:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
I was considering the C70 prior to the release of the C230 Coupe. I test drove the car against Audi A4, BMW325 and a fe American cars. The C70 HP Coupe with sunroof, leather, sport package would have been the most expensive of the group. My complaints were: FWD feels like FWD, handling felt heavy...even with the HP turbo, the car just wasn't FAST.

(A4 was like an over-refined Jetta, 325 was.....well.....a BMW....and the dealer sucked)

Long story, short version....after all the maturations and circus tricks with the salesmonkey, I'm glad I waited for the Benz. While a Cobra or Camaro SS would have more bang for the buck, the C Coupe is a fine car with an exceptional value to hassle ratio (and the girlfriend LOVES the heated seats)
Old 05-05-2002, 11:22 AM

C230K
As a former C230K owner and a current S60 2.4T owner, I would like to offer my input.

Yes, as most people have pointed out so far, the FWD handling is not in the same league as the C230K, but that's where the "not as goods" end.

The motor is far more refined than the MB's, the quality of the steering wheel switches is vastly superior, the stereo is simply awesome, the seats are far more comfortable, the doors close with a solid thunk, it has no wind noise, and, most importantly, it has been totally reliable.

As far as safety is concerned, I feel the Volvo is at least as good as the MB, some say better than.

I still miss our C230K, but I wish it hadn't been so unreliable and that the dealer had not been so pathetic. (It spent 34 days at the dealer and we had it only 5 months).

All I suggest is to drive them both, and don't be seduced by the star, base your decision on what you think.

To all the users of MBWorld, I really enjoy coming back here. It is a great forum, with many pieces of good information. The Volvo forums (fora?) are dead by comparison. Maybe Volvos have fewer problems, and hence fewer resort to the web to look for answers?
Old 05-05-2002, 11:38 AM

C250 Coupe 2012
This is my C70 I sold to buy the C230 Coupe
Old 05-05-2002, 11:48 AM

C250 Coupe 2012
Now my C70 replacement. I had 25000 mile on the car and had no trouble. The reason I traded was wanted real wheel drive and a 6 speed. Use to race Datsun 204Z and wanted to get back to that type of car. The C70 was more a large coupe and had all the goodies at a good price, but you can not beat what you pay for a get in the C230. Now if you like Volvo, might try out the new S60. I bought my wife the S60 2.4T and we really enjoy it. To me it's a big sporty sedan, with auto/shift, CD,leather, and all the other goodies. This is car has all problems fixes (like air conditioner) that Volvo found in their previous S70 and 850's. I bought the first 850 GLT when they came and the S60 is a vast improvement, try the T5. So I fell have the best of both worlds and both red. WIfe had to have a four door and me a Sport good loooking and fun to drive Coupe. To me the C230 Coupe is the best value on the market and I plan to keep mine a long time.
Best of Luck in your decision, drive them all and then you will know what you want.
GOOD LUCK.
Tom
Old 05-05-2002, 12:31 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
no offense to any volvo drivers the c70 is dated looking, built on an old platform, wrong wheel drive, and is do for a major overhaul soon, even further devalueing it.

However it is a bargan because of all of these factors, and is in no way a shabby car. Good luck with whatever you choose, but theres not a day that goes by that i dont love my c230... except when i test drove my friends clk320 I could have gotten a stripper clk for about 6 or 7 grand more then my coupe.... but i love all my gadgets, and dont know how i would survive in a car without a nav, cell phone, and voice activation all integrated.
Old 05-05-2002, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now i remembered that C70 was on my list too....but then..when i checked out some .com companies....it was a llot more expensive then my coupy....maybe they didnt show a below msrp price..or maybe, i was taken in by the cheap base price on the coupy....com'on...i don't think there are many 24,959 coupes around...i don't mean to say that they are bad (no offences to base coupe owner)...but then..mercedes are really a bit too much with their marketing..pricing the car at 24,959 ( something like that), but then, you can hardly get one like those!

Mine roll off the lot at 35k (including cd-changer) after a $500 discount
Old 05-05-2002, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
the real price of the C 230 K

Originally posted by Xeon
....com'on...i don't think there are many 24,959 coupes around...i don't mean to say that they are bad (no offences to base coupe owner)...but then..mercedes are really a bit too much with their marketing..pricing the car at 24,959 ( something like that), but then, you can hardly get one like those!

Mine roll off the lot at 35k (including cd-changer) after a $500 discount
Ours, with all fees and options (roof + wipers) cost $23,500 US, not including sales tax.
Old 05-05-2002, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
the reason it's been reduced 8000 is probably because it is nearing the end of it's production. true, it is based on the old 850 platform, with that funky patented semi-independent delta link. my 850 rattles quite a bit, and the platform is harsh with bilsteins, lowering springs, and 17" rubber. my understanding is the c70 is a little better. a number of quality issues were resolved and it also came with factory optional 18" bbs rims and ohlins remote reservoir 8-position adjustable shocks. it had a little problem in it's convertible production (in conjunction with tom walkinshaw) with it's structural rigidity early on, but that was solved. personally, i really like it. i still like the older style 70 series better than the new volvos. the engine is great, designed in conjunction with porshce for i6, but lopped off one cylinder to place it transversily in the engine bay. both cars would be nice...u really can't go wrong with either a volvo or a mb. but the c230 coupe is on the lower end of the mb production spectrum, while the c70 hpt is on the higher end. fwd vs rwd...isn't that always the debate? lemme know if u have anymore q's.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by raymond
As a former C230K owner and a current S60 2.4T owner, I would like to offer my input.

Yes, as most people have pointed out so far, the FWD handling is not in the same league as the C230K, but that's where the "not as goods" end.

The motor is far more refined than the MB's, the quality of the steering wheel switches is vastly superior, the stereo is simply awesome, the seats are far more comfortable, the doors close with a solid thunk, it has no wind noise, and, most importantly, it has been totally reliable.

As far as safety is concerned, I feel the Volvo is at least as good as the MB, some say better than.

I still miss our C230K, but I wish it hadn't been so unreliable and that the dealer had not been so pathetic. (It spent 34 days at the dealer and we had it only 5 months).

All I suggest is to drive them both, and don't be seduced by the star, base your decision on what you think.

To all the users of MBWorld, I really enjoy coming back here. It is a great forum, with many pieces of good information. The Volvo forums (fora?) are dead by comparison. Maybe Volvos have fewer problems, and hence fewer resort to the web to look for answers?
Raymond,

Don't forget that you are describing a new P2-based S60 which is day and night compared to the old platform based C70 in every respect, be it structural rigidity, or handling, or quality of the assembly.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:03 PM

C250 Coupe 2012
I agree with the last post. THe C230 offers me the extra sport (6 speed and rear wheel dirve) but I do enjoy driving our S60 2.4t as mention above for the same reasons. I am lucky, to be able to have both for there different driving pleasures.
Tom
Old 05-06-2002, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: the real price of the C 230 K

Originally posted by Mike T.

Ours, with all fees and options (roof + wipers) cost $23,500 US, not including sales tax.
Mine includes taxes
Old 05-06-2002, 06:45 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
As the only Swede (?) reading this forum, I guess I should have an opinion as well. To be honest, the C70 was no success story for Volvo, and you don't see many of them around in Sweden. If it was me choosing between the C70 and the C230 Coupé, I think my choice still would be the Volvo (for reassons like it's a more powerful car and a true coupé). Dated or not, the construction is solid. In a hypothetical choice between the respective sedan models (ie. 850/S70 vs. C240), I would choose the Benz (just not to go with the flow...)

But, I don't think you can go wrong with either of them
Old 05-06-2002, 06:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
IMHO i always hated Volvos they might be good cars even safe but i still hate every single one built to this day, that is one car company i would never purchase a car from EVER.
I am not trying to talk u out of it if its a good deal and u like it get it.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320
I just read in this months Motor trend that the c70 will be replaced next year with a "C60"..but will include an option which is the "c60-R"...which includes a 300hp turbocharged I-5, 6 speed and my personal favorite...all wheel drive. Its gonna be SICK!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: c70 vs c230 coupe