C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

6-Speed or TouchShift?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 04:23 AM
BANNED FOR VIOLATING TOU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230k
6-Speed or TouchShift?

I'm about to get the c230k this week...

I realize the 6-speed can utilize the powerband of the Kompressor more effeciently, but would TouchShift be more pratical in the longhaul?
Old 05-07-2002, 04:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Where do you live and what type of drving do you do? Guess that is the question.

I live in the Bay Area and got an automatic and regret it even given the hills and traffic. But the automatic is nice in traffic.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:24 AM

2008 C300 Sport
A manual can be a bit of a pain if the majority of your driving could be considered 'big city stop and go' traffic. However, even if your driving is mixed, a manual would be well worth it. From most automakers a manual is cheaper and it allows you to have greater control over your vehicle. Also, it is less weight than an automatic. If you've never driven a manual, once you learn, the foot movement and hand shifting become secondary and you're almost not aware you're doing it.

So, unless you're in constant bumper to bumper traffic, go for the stick.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
do you like driving a manual? if so, get it. if you don't care, get the touchshift. but just by asking this question, i'd guess you don't care.

but, just don't have any regrets either way. someone who got an auto here keeps complaining that he should have gotten a stick. that sucks.

Last edited by young; 05-07-2002 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:59 AM

2002 C230K, 2001 Audi TT 225 Coupe
Auto or 6 spd

I tend to go more towards the stick. I had an Audi A6 with tiptronic - similar to the MB setup - and just didn't get the response I like. The only auto I would get is the Audi CVT - responds like a stick. Having said that, I drove the MB with stick and auto and told the saleman I would get the stick - response and control is better - but get the C7 package. Only thing I did not like was that the clutch engaged too quickly after foot starts to climb off the floor - guess that will take some adjustment. If the clutch is light, a stick in traffic is OK - on my TT, I have no problem in traffic and leg fatigue.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:41 PM
BANNED FOR VIOLATING TOU

C230k
Thanks.. I ask this because I live in the Bay Area with many hills and traffic.

I'd love the control of the stick but am worried about steep hills without a handbrake? Should this be a real concern?
Old 05-07-2002, 01:48 PM
gab

if u always drive in very heavy stop and go traffic get youself a automatc beater econobox or pick up truck to drive around, and save the coupe for weekend fun

IMHO stick is fun when there is some traffic there vs no traffic at all or bumper to bumper traffic
Old 05-07-2002, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Originally posted by kineda
Thanks.. I ask this because I live in the Bay Area with many hills and traffic.

I'd love the control of the stick but am worried about steep hills without a handbrake? Should this be a real concern?
Hey, another Bay Area native. We are taking over the board!

You hit the nail on the head on why I got a automatic, but, that said, the Coupe is heavy and I find I need to use the emergency break trick sometimes on a hill, I think I would be fine with a stick and foot break. It just adds a step to the process of starting on a hill.

The traffic is a pain with a stick, but you know the scoop on that one.

Make sure to get the wheel package if you get a stick. The throw is much shorter.

Beth
Old 05-07-2002, 02:25 PM

2002 C230K, 2001 Audi TT 225 Coupe
Bay Area stick

Having visited the Bay area frequently, If you live in the bay area and can't avoid the bumper to bumper drive in from north of the city and can't use the hov lane, I'd be tempted to do the auto. Wouldn't like it, but I'd be tempted. On the other hand, a stick is really a lot of fun in the hills and generally, in California. Wouldn't worry about the hills as much - but it may take some learning time with the stick and new clutch.
Old 05-07-2002, 02:26 PM

C230 Kompressor (02 Copupe)
hm...

Myself I regret getting automatic, but Its pretty nice. In terms of performance its pretty good, but If you are an agressive driver (like me) I would go for stick.
Old 05-07-2002, 02:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
If you're on the fence, the C7 manny would be the best option. Besides, I'm sure that you could use that $1200 for something else, couldn't you?

As Duffer said, the clutch engages quickly, and kindof feels like Subaru's old "Hill-Holder Clutch", so you wouldn't need to use the parking brake for non-giant SF hills. Also, you won't be constantly in up and down traffic. Do you really want to be saddled with an auto when going on weekend drives in CA? Buyer's remorse on which tranny you pick is awful, so be sure of your choice.
Old 05-07-2002, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
I usually only have a little trouble with the stick on the super-steep hills in San Francisco (primarily because I became addicted to the hand-brake - the car I had in college was a manual with a foot-brake and I don't recall it ever being a problem - apparantly I've forgotten the technique I used to use). I usually don't mind the manual in stop-and-go traffic and mild hills are no problem.

If you're interested in spirited driving, I'd say go with the manual with the C7 package. If you lived on a steep hill where you had to parallel park every day would be the only reason I'd consider an automatic.

Cheers, BT
Old 05-07-2002, 04:07 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Can't you go to the dealer and drive both of them and decide which one you want? I wouldn't buy one or the other without driving them to see if you just love one and hate the other.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
I love driving the 6spd. I drove the auto touchshift also, but wasn't for me. Here in calgary there is not too much traffic so the 6spd is great. But if you have lot's of traffic where you live maybe an auto would be more understandable. Drive the two and make your decision.
Old 05-07-2002, 08:02 PM

Manuals are fun ... but if you have a spouse that could never master the intricacies of driving a stick without mashing the gearbox and they need to drive it sometime then get the automatic.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by young
do you like driving a manual? if so, get it. if you don't care, get the touchshift. but just by asking this question, i'd guess you don't care.

but, just don't have any regrets either way. someone who got an auto here keeps complaining that he should have gotten a stick. that sucks.
i think i am one of them if not the one u are talking about.
i woould have loved the stick but i just could not wait 3 months for it i had to get what they had which was an auto.

i have to say i am a very aggresive driver and drive the car hard alot and really push it to its limits. Of course the stick would have really helped me alot. but i have to say i still have fun with the auto. and it still can drive very aggresive if u want it to. so its not a bad tranny at all. (for an auto)