C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

!I Got My DipStick!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2003 | 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i thought I read someplace that 2003 Cs don't have a dipstick at all (at least the V6s, don't know about the 1.8). So that would mean the dealers can't do a topside oil change, they must use the drain plug, and must use the computer to check the oil level.
Old 01-11-2003 | 11:13 AM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Yup, that was me who posted that.

Dyno mode still does not work on 03s. MB is telling dealers it is supposed to work but the only cars they checked had not been W203s. I'm still working on that info. If anybody wants to check with their dealer that would be great. The more people we get involved on this the sooner we will get an answer.
Old 01-11-2003 | 11:23 AM

2024 EQE Sedan (on order)
Topside oil drain

The posters who are concerned about not getting all the oil out may be missing how the vacuum oil removal works. You don't hook a pump to the top of the dipstick tube, and pull out oil only until the level in the sump falls to the height of the tube.

To use a topsider or other extraction tool, you insert a smaller tube through the dipstick tube, push it in till you feel it touch the bottom of the sump. Then you pull the oil out, all teh way to the bottom ogf the sump. I suspect that this process removes as much oil as pulling a drain plug - though the time required to pull oil through a line that can fit in the dipstick hole is probably about the same as the time required to put the car on jack stands, get under it, and remove the bottom shroud.

I suspect that Honda would have an access hole to get to the oil drain, if they had a bottom shroud. My wife's Nissan does have a bottom cover, attached by 8 screws, that you have to remove to access the oil filter, so it's actually more inconvenient than the Mercedes. Once I when was short for time I took the Nissan to a quick oil change place - they wouldn't do the job because of that cover.
Old 01-11-2003 | 05:00 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
Originally posted by nyca
i thought I read someplace that 2003 Cs don't have a dipstick at all (at least the V6s, don't know about the 1.8). So that would mean the dealers can't do a topside oil change, they must use the drain plug, and must use the computer to check the oil level.
There's a tube, but no dipstick. A short rubber-like plug seals the top of the tube to keep the dirt out.

Why did MB engineering decide to install the tube but delete what has been a standard feature of automobile engines for, I don't know, 80 or 90 years?
Old 01-11-2003 | 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the original poster is on this thread, I believe there is no tube on the 2003s, no topside access for oil removal or level check. Drain is made via the plug, and level check via the computer (if it works). Perhaps someone more knowlegeable will add to this.
Old 01-11-2003 | 11:54 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 M Coupe and 2001 C320
so can I assume that the oil filter or the oil filter housing is accessible from the top instead of the bottom?

it would make sense to suck the oil out through the tube then have to get under the car to change the filter.

BTW I used the oil sucker on my friends 2002 M Coupe, it worked very well. Out of curiosity we also tried opening the drain bolt and not much came out. Just a drip or two every 30 seconds.

I don't recall waiting until every drop has been removed from the oil pan all the other time I changed oil in the old cars.

Second benefit we saw from the oil sucker was, after removing the filter element there were some old oil in the housing, which we just sucked up with the sucker

Better than using a rag or paper towel to wipe the oil.
Old 01-12-2003 | 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes, the filter is accessible from the top.

regarding sucking that BMW filter housing of old oil, that's OK, but when installing the new filter element, I always pour some of the fresh oil in there to prime it. Otherwise when you first start the car after the oil change, there will be some lubrication delay waiting for the cannister to fill up.
Old 01-12-2003 | 10:20 PM

05 CLK 500 cab
OK, I give up. Where is the filter on the 1.8 engine?