C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Rough C-coupe words from Autoweek

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 08:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
It should be "3,100" pounds. Now that's downright ponderous.

No, I have not seen the CR article. But, the entire C Class is "recommended" in their annual review. So, I don't know what dat guy wuz talkin bout.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
Originally posted by tommy
No, I have not seen the CR article. But, the entire C Class is "recommended" in their annual review. So, I don't know what dat guy wuz talkin bout.
I subscribe to CR and have not seen a specific article about the C230 Coupe. Tommy and others are correct in saying that the entire C Class is recommended.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:29 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
AW's writers need to compare notes. THIS week, they write a totally complimentary blurb about the C32 AMG... No mention of "tin filing cabinet vs bank vault" built quality as noted for the Coupe just one week before. Yet, as we all know, both cars are built from the same platform. AW needs some editorial consistency... lest the come off as bi-polar.

That said, the only real objection I had with the Coupe article was the remark about the less than bank vault build. I think we have to admit, that there have been several threads here about the sunshade design and the "agricultural" sounding engine, rough start-up issues, etc. If you owners have questions about these "shortcomings," it's only fair that a magazine could make similar observations.

Their motivation for doing so is another issue for debate...

Last edited by MB-BOB; 05-10-2002 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-10-2002, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by MB-BOB
I subscribe to AutoWeek for the one-week old F1 coverage, and general auto news.
Hey MB-BOB, you should come to the Motorsports Forum and toss in your two cents there.

THIS week, they write a totally complimentary blurb about the C32 AMG... No mention of "tin filing cabinet vs bank vault" built quality as noted for the Coupe just one week before.
Doesn't surprise me at all, I think the automotive press bags on the C230 because they figured it would fail (based on the BMW 318ti) and wanted to be able to say "I told you so."

I also don't really notice that big of a difference between the build quality of my Coupe and my friends CLK 430 - the doors both sound about the same when you close them. People bag on the aluminum trim - but I prefer it over the wood (looks "higher tech" to me). Besides, there is so much resin impregnated into automotive wood trim, so that it won't splinter in a crash, it's essentially plastic anyway .

Cheers, BT
Old 05-10-2002, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by young
but what's the deal w/ the way a door sounds? is it really representative of how a car is built?
It's just one of those things - there is a difference in closing the door of a cheap car and a nicer one. Not really representative of how the car is built - more likely it just shows that the more expensive car has heavy doors. Inexpensive Honda's are very well built cars but often don't have a solid feeling when you close the door - which just "feels" better.

Aesthetically yours, BT
Old 05-10-2002, 03:12 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Question Mistake Made?

In another thread, I mentioned that part of the reason the Coupe may get knocked in some reviews is that MB did too much de-contenting to keep a low price. Perhaps writers expect more.

Does anyone think that MB made a mistake by not offering TeleAid (standard on all other models) and, at least, leather inserts (standard on those models w/o full leather) as standard features. Perhaps that would've quieted some reviewers.

I noted no obvious quality flaws on those Coupes I looked at and test drove. Well, except for the panorama roof sunshade. That did look cheap, but not much else.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by trench
I think the automotive press bags on the C230 because they figured it would fail (based on the BMW 318ti) and wanted to be able to say "I told you so."
I agree! I think critics are this way regarding everything. How many times have we seen a movie review that was "thumbs up" mainly because some big star was in it? Then when you see the movie, it's awful!

]Originally posted by Margo
It is sometimes downright ponderous to read some of the posts on this board. Spelling and grammar are hideous.
No offense, but we all make mistakes on grammar and spelling. Don't be too hard on us.

]Originally posted by Margo

It's been bothering me and I finally had to say something... anyway, I was in the dealership getting my car repaired yesterday (it pulled to the right, among other things, and needed an alignment, with only 3100 miles on it ) and a man in there asked how I liked the car, and asked if I saw the Consumer Reports article on it...that it basically trashed the C230K.
See what I mean (this is one long sentence)?
Old 05-10-2002, 04:10 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Re: Mistake Made?

Originally posted by Mark08859
In another thread, I mentioned that part of the reason the Coupe may get knocked in some reviews is that MB did too much de-contenting to keep a low price. Perhaps writers expect more.

Does anyone think that MB made a mistake by not offering TeleAid (standard on all other models) and, at least, leather inserts (standard on those models w/o full leather) as standard features. Perhaps that would've quieted some reviewers.

I noted no obvious quality flaws on those Coupes I looked at and test drove. Well, except for the panorama roof sunshade. That did look cheap, but not much else.
IMO, is a lack of Tele-Aid a mistake? NO. Is offering cloth instead of MB-Tex a mistake? YES. Offering aluminum dash trim instead of real wood (or a good fake wood substitute) a mistake? YES. (Don't throw any flames at me for this one... With wood trim in place, the interior would look just like a C240/320/C32. The reviewers would have little to throw rocks at, unless they poo-pooed ALL C-Class models, too.)

I sometimes wonder if MB would have been better off without including a sunroof shade. Without it, reviewers could only wonder if it needed one. With it, the shade appears flimsy, but I don't know how one could improve on it.

As far as Margo's comments regarding English, I agree that more attention should be paid to one's writing... If you expect anyone to take time to read what you write, at least spend an equal amount of time drafting your words (or using the edit button).

There are no perfect writers around here... Each of us offer typos now and then. Some are even funny. However, some bash on the keyboard as if they don't care whether anyone has to wade through their remarks. It's obvious that some don't have English as their primary language, but they try, and I respect their efforts. It's the others who know better, but don't invest any time that have me questioning why I should bother trying to read what they throw at me. Sorry. Not meaning to rant.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 05-10-2002 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: Re: Mistake Made?

Is offering cloth instead of MB-Tex a mistake? YES. Offering aluminum dash trim instead of real wood (or a good fake wood substitute) a mistake? YES. (Don't throw any flames at me for this one... With wood trim in place, the interior would look just like a C240/320/C32.
I agree with MB-BOB, they should have offered MB-tex.

However, I think the C32 has aluminum trim (although with a different pattern).

BT
Old 05-10-2002, 04:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Re: Re: Re: Mistake Made?

Originally posted by trench

I agree with MB-BOB, they should have offered MB-tex.

However, I think the C32 has aluminum trim (although with a different pattern).

BT
I think you are correct. The "Sport" edition of the 240/320 also has the aluminum trim.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+

IMO, is a lack of Tele-Aid a mistake? NO. Is offering cloth instead of MB-Tex a mistake? YES. Offering aluminum dash trim instead of real wood (or a good fake wood substitute) a mistake? YES.
I wouldn't have bought it with wood instead of aluminum. As a matter of fact, it was aluminum that contributed to my decision to get the coupe in the first place.

There also are many people who wouldn't have bought one *if* the cloth wasn't an option.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Re: Re: Re: Mistake Made?

Originally posted by vadim
I wouldn't have bought it with wood instead of aluminum. As a matter of fact, it was aluminum that contributed to my decision to get the coupe in the first place.
I agree. Although I think the wood would look fine too, I do like the aluminum. It's a more sporty look!

Originally posted by vadim

There also are many people who wouldn't have bought one *if* the cloth wasn't an option.
They could always get the "aftermarket smurf blue cloth".
Old 05-10-2002, 06:20 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Re: Re: Re: Re: Mistake Made?

Originally posted by revstriker
I agree. Although I think the wood would look fine too, I do like the aluminum. It's a more sporty look!

They could always get the "aftermarket smurf blue cloth".
Not *cloth*, you smurf - leather!
Old 05-10-2002, 07:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Everyone's a comedian. :p

I'll be the better person and ignore your petty jealosy. But I do agree with the comments from the ccoupe owners about the aluminum trim. I hate wood trim, it's for old farts (you know who you are).

I do kind of wish that the cloth were more attractive. I think that it's a good thing that we are offered an option on cloth vs. leather; I don't really care about MB-Tex.

I'm on the fence about Tele-Aid; it does look cheap that the ccoupe is the only MB not having it standard, but I doubt that I'd ever use it (unless I were in a car accident and dead, and wouldn't really care then), and would definitely not re-up.
Old 05-10-2002, 07:36 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
question:
What is the difference between the patterned aluminum trim in the coupe than the textured aluminum trim in the sedans? it is just the way it looks? or is the patterned aluminum trim is just made to look like aluminum?

because i know my C32's texture aluminum is real aluminum with some ugly texture on it.

my C32 has the textured aluminum trim. i wish it has the wood trim though.
Old 05-10-2002, 08:45 PM

2002 C 230K
Hey Revstriker, I agree, that IS a long sentence! I didn't mean to offend anybody; I totally agree with MB Bob, though- use the edit button if you need to. As far as MB not offering Tele-Aid as standard on the coupe- not a mistake. I wouldn't have wanted it. MB-Tex would have definitely been better than cloth. I probably would have gone for that instead of leather if they offered it. And I love the aluminum trim. Wood-grain looks too geezer-y, IMHO.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:33 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS

IMO, is a lack of Tele-Aid a mistake? NO. Is offering cloth instead of MB-Tex a mistake? YES. Offering aluminum dash trim instead of real wood (or a good fake wood substitute) a mistake? YES. (Don't throw any flames at me for this one... With wood trim in place, the interior would look just like a C240/320/C32. The reviewers would have little to throw rocks at, unless they poo-pooed ALL C-Class models, too.)
FYI the c32 has textured aluminum, NOT wood trim. if you look in the back of the MB c class catalog you will see the patterned aluminum from the coupe, and the very similar textured stuff from the c32. Personally i like the look of a nice dark wood, but alumium is sportier, and easier to maintain.