C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

I think I blew a speaker....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Vadim

Who is the father of relational database design?
List all of the normal forms.
What is the difference between an Object Oriented Database and a Relational Database?

Yes I am questioning your integrity

Regards
Wyatt
Old 05-10-2002, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by WyattEarp
Vadim

Who is the father of relational database design?
List all of the normal forms.
What is the difference between an Object Oriented Database and a Relational Database?

Yes I am questioning your integrity

Regards
Wyatt
Wyatt, what's your problem? Your ego seems to get hurt every time someone expresses an opinion that differs from yours... Please read carefully - my argumentation has been coherent and substantiated, and I certainly welcome equally substantiated opinions. Judging from your last post, you ain't got any.

Asking irrelevant questions that are very specific to a certain profession in order to intimidate the opponent can hardly be called "questioning one's intergity". It's more like "...but mine is bigger!" And as far as I remember, you got spanked a few times trying to flip it out like that.

Anyway, it's Dr. E. F. Codd, 1970, if you forgot.

I happen to have been working with Network and Relational database systems since 1988, and for the sake of sanity of this board, I don't want to continue this argument with you.

Last edited by vadim; 05-10-2002 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2002, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
vadim, where did you substantiate any of your points? You have given no actual or theoretical basis for your statements.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by mdp c230k
vadim, where did you substantiate any of your points? You have given no actual or theoretical basis for your statements.
Neither have you. My points are based on common sence, a bit of experience (partially due to a fact that I majored in radio optics - eternity ago )

Last edited by vadim; 05-10-2002 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:57 PM

2002 c230k
I'm afraid your 'common sence' is woefully mistaken. I have been in professional audio and video for only twenty years working with consumer equipment and for the past 10 years I have been designing and maintaining large post-production and broadcast facilities, I know of what I speak, both in theory and in practice. My assertions are correct. What is your field of work?

Mark Pindler
Senior Broadcast Systems Engineer
Fox Sports Net
10000 Santa Monica Blvd
L.A. 90067, CA.
Old 05-10-2002, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by mdp c230k
I'm afraid your 'common sence' is woefully mistaken. I have been in professional audio and video for only twenty years working with consumer equipment and for the past 10 years I have been designing and maintaining large post-production and broadcast facilities, I know of what I speak, both in theory and in practice. My assertions are correct. What is your field of work?

Mark Pindler
Senior Broadcast Systems Engineer
Fox Sports Net
10000 Santa Monica Blvd
L.A. 90067, CA.
Mark, I'm not questioning your background or your knowledge of the subject in general. But let's not deviate from the line of our argument. You were stating that the C Coupe's amp clips the signal; I was saying that that would mean that such an amp *in a stock setup* would be crappy. No more, no less. No hypothetical situations like: "what if I take a sine wave generator, hook it up to that amp, set it to 43Hz and crank its output to 10V". Of course it may be possible to make this amp to clip like crazy. Did you really miss my point?

Last edited by vadim; 05-10-2002 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:28 PM

2002 c230k
No, the point is the C-coupe's amp DOES clip. You can not avoid it if you are playing the system loud with the bass cranked up. I have noticed that it does SOME gain reduction if the volume is set high and the bass is cranked, but it can not completely eliminate clipping without destroying the sound. You ears are much more tolerant of a clip here and there than they are of volume changes due to the peak limiting that would be needed. They tried to create a system that is able to play loud enough without too much distortion, not a system that is perfect. It cant be done by anyone within the reasonable constricts of a car stereo. If you wont buy a stereo system that can never be made to clip you will never buy a stereo system, thats a fact.
Old 05-10-2002, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Ok, that's better. Now, my question is: do you have any evidence that clipping does occur? If you noticed some gain compensation activity, why don't we go a step further and assume that there is a soft-knee compressor/limiter that actually prevents clipping?
I guess our argument has hung in the air - none of us has any evidence. To substantiate our respective poins, you use your professional experience, I use, well, my common sense... Also, the initial discussion involved what you referred to as "dirty power", that is, some serious clipping (allegedly) resulting in a speaker blowout - and that's not "a clip here and there".
Old 05-10-2002, 07:27 PM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Originally posted by vadim

Wyatt, what's your problem? Your ego seems to get hurt every time someone expresses an opinion that differs from yours... Please read carefully - my argumentation has been coherent and substantiated, and I certainly welcome equally substantiated opinions. Judging from your last post, you ain't got any.

Asking irrelevant questions that are very specific to a certain profession in order to intimidate the opponent can hardly be called "questioning one's intergity". It's more like "...but mine is bigger!" And as far as I remember, you got spanked a few times trying to flip it out like that.

Anyway, it's Dr. E. F. Codd, 1970, if you forgot.

I happen to have been working with Network and Relational database systems since 1988, and for the sake of sanity of this board, I don't want to continue this argument with you.
I apologize your right, I'm wrong. I had another psychotic episode.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by WyattEarp
I apologize your right, I'm wrong. I had another psychotic episode.
Sorry, Wyatt, I guess I overreacted...
Old 05-11-2002, 08:13 AM

2002 c230k
vadim, what I meant by some gain reduction is that when you boost the bass by a certain amount, the midrange is lowered by a comparable amount. The ratio appears to be based on volume settings, the higher the volume knob setting, the lower the midrange. It is based on volume setting and not on actual power output from the experimentation I did (with my trained ears). This is an attempt to reduce the chance the amp will be overdriven, but not signal level dependant active limiting as would be the case if the system was designed to never clip. Also, over time, clipping 'here and there' will burn a drivers voicecoil to the point where it rubs due to the wire de-laminating or the enamel on the wire bubbling like burnt sugar filling up the gap. I spent five years earning my tuition at Speaker City and have cut open lots of speakers to show their dismayed owners the fried voicecoil and hear 'but i only have a 30 watt amp, thats a 100 watt speaker!'. I appreciate your zeal but there comes a time whem you must defer to someone that actually has the experience and knowledge of what he speaks, as I do.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:54 PM

C230 K coupe Orion blue, Evo, prem leather roof, premium sound and cd changer, auto.
Your audio system may be covered under separate warranty. Check your owners package. I could be wrong.