C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Part number for w203 C320 CDI shocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 CDI w203
Part number for w203 C320 CDI shocks

Hi there,

I have a w203 C320 CDI 2006 sedan with the sport suspension (486) option.
I'm getting a clunking knock noise from the right rear and have chosen to replace the struts/shocks. The garage hasn't been able to find fault anywhere else. The rebound feels distinctly different on the right rear - i.e. when you go over a judder bar the front of the car settles evenly left/right, but when the rear goes over the rebound is different left/right which gives the car a funny wobbling feel.

I've looked at the part number on the shock itself and it is 4922120360.
This part seems very hard to find in New Zealand, and with covid unfortunately shipping is quite slow around the world, so although eBay is a good option I'm keen to try and find something local.

Does anyone know what other parts might be interchangeable with this part?
Do I need to get the exact right part?

Thanks for any advice
Aidan
Old 11-22-2020, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 CDI w203
In case anyone finds this later, I ended up using KYB part 553306. Pretty reasonable price (NZD120 ea).
If it was the front, I would've gone more expensive e.g. Bilsteins (best price: NZD259 ea), but I felt less concerned about the rear.

The shock was quite easy to replace. I followed this guide: https://www.insourcelife.com/replaci...-ultimate-diy/
It took me about 1.5hrs in evening light on an outside car pad.

Differences from the guide:
  • The socket sizes were slightly different than in the guide. No biggy.
  • I found it physically very challenging compressing the new shock to get it in - although I could put my body weight on it and compress it out of the car, when the top end was mounted in the car I found it difficult to compress it upwards. I ended up using a scissor jack to help compress it over the control arm. It was also quite close to the brake line so I had to be very careful it didn't decompress and put pressure on that. I broke 3 ribs a month ago so that's my excuse...
  • There were no rubber bushings on either side of the hole for the bottom bolt to go through. I couldn't remove them from the old shock as they had been glued. If I was doing it again, I'd be prepared with some rubber bushings to fit onto it. However it seemed to fit fine with no movement. The rubber bushings don't actually seem to change the fitment.
  • It was very useful to have a head torch, but don't use your daughter's one unless you want to clean the grease off the strap later.
The old right-side shock makes odd gurgling noises when compressed with any weight on it outside the car. And now there's no noises at all in the rear going over bumps.
Very happy to have the knocking noises gone.
The following users liked this post:
DjaKRAbb (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 07:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Bicycle, 2004 c200k
Well done Aidan, hope your ribs healed up