C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Sputtering and loss of power while driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 Mercedes C240
Exclamation Sputtering and loss of power while driving

Hello! I'm new to these forums.
  • I purchased a 2003 Mercedes C240 W203 (200k miles), drove it home about 30 miles on the highway without any issues. The next day when I went to drive it started having issues.
The car would stop letting me accelerate while I was driving but would let me accelerate lightly from time to time. The RPM’s would go down and the car would eventually stall on me. Turning the car off and on would fix the problem.
I took the car to a repair shop and they said it was reading the following codes (P0300, P0304, P0305, P0306) and recommended to change the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor as well as the engine air filters. I changed the engine air filters with brand new ones from an auto part store (matched to the car) and the MAF with one purchased on EBAY.
  • The car was driven for about 50 miles and when I started accelerating from a stoplight the car started sputtering, the steering wheel locked up and I rolled into a parking lot, turned it off and was able to turn it back on. I drove it 1 mile and it sputtered out on me again (and stalled) but all of the electronics stayed on. I turned it off, turned it back on and it immediately sputtered and stalled but all of the electronics stayed on. Eventually the car would only crank but not start.
I took the car to the repair shop and they said it was the fuel pump. I brought the car home and checked the fuel pressure noticing it was 0. I read the codes with a OBD II scanner which put out P0112 (Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit Low Input) and P0123 (Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit High Input).
I replaced the fuel pump with a Delphi (FG1016) replacement that I purchased at Autozone and it seemed to have fixed the issue.
  • I drove the car for approximately 30 miles and at the very same intersection, heading in the same exact direction as before the car started sputtering and the “check engine” light came on. I was able to pull into a parking lot, turn the car off and then turn it back on. I drove it home and read the codes noting the following:
o P0112 (Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit Low Input) – Generic Pending

o P0123 (Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor A Circuit High Input) – Generic Pending

o P0300 (Random Misfire Detected) – Generic Stored

o P0301 (Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected) – Generic Stored

o P0303 (Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected) – Generic Stored
Any recommendations or suggestions are highly appreciated as I’m going insane with this.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Seller probably knew of these problems... hope you didnt pay too much!
Old 12-25-2020, 12:52 PM

2003 Mercedes C240
Originally Posted by efzauner
Seller probably knew of these problems... hope you didnt pay too much!
The ******* definitely did. Not too much but definitely enough to need it fixed lol
Old 12-25-2020, 12:56 PM

2003 Mercedes C240
Hey guys - So I’ve done some more research and it looks like this issue might be because of a faulty throttle position sensor which would require changing the entire throttle body OR an acceleration pedal assembly... Before I start buying random parts, does anyone have any suggestions on how I could figure out what might be the exact issue?

Happy holidays to everyone by the way!