C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C-Spot $1500 coupon question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport Sedan: Panarama Roof, P2, Multimedia
C-Spot $1500 coupon question

Hi everyone,

So I have C-spot coupon ($1500) from June 6, and it specifys that it expires 90 days after the actual event. (expires 09/06/2004) Does anyone know if I can use it to order a car? Ordering a car usually takes 3-4 months. I went to Penske today, and the sales man told me, you only can use it at the time of delivery, not at the time of order.

It doesn't make any sense, to me at least. Basically you can't use the coupon to order a car if it's at the time of delivery, because ordering a car usually takes 3-4 months.

Can anyone confirm what the dealer said? Should I call Mercedes Benz Corp.? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:59 AM
Banned

Missing my beloved Benz
Use the search feature... this topic has been talked about atleast a million times!
Old 08-31-2004, 09:03 AM

2018 C43 AMG SEDAN
c-spot coupon

I ordered my car on July 15th and I had a coupon that expired on August 28th. I scanned the coupon and let them know it was going to expire before my car comes in (September 11th). I got an email yesterday from the dealership stating they would honor my coupon. However, my car was just built and was just delivered to the Mercedes Processing Center in Jacksonville, Florida. I guess if they have the VIN number they can post date the paper work...who knows. My coupon will be 2 weeks expired by the time my car comes in if the Hurricane (headed towards Jacksonville) does damage my car.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:31 PM

I was in similar shoes when ordering a car earlier this year. I was told that the C-spot coupon could not be used until the car was retailed in the U.S. Because the coupon can only be used with MB financing, which requires that you already have the financed car's VIN, you need a VIN number to use the coupon. I was told you only get the VIN at the last stage of the car's building process. In my case, the car (2005 C230k) was ordered in June and was retailed 7 weeks later -- 5 weeks ahead of my coupon's expiration date.

Note that, if instead of financing I had bought the car for cash, then (according to my salesman) I could have paid for the car at any time after ordering it -- but would not have been able to use the coupon, making this option moot.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
What about the I love Mercedes tour $1,500 coupons? Is there one in your area soon?
Old 08-31-2004, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
LMT is worth the event alone, plus you get a $1500 coupon.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:52 PM

2001 SL500, designo blue and 2004 C320S
Pile of Dealer BS

Originally Posted by ayilar
I was in similar shoes when ordering a car earlier this year. I was told that the C-spot coupon could not be used until the car was retailed in the U.S. Because the coupon can only be used with MB financing, which requires that you already have the financed car's VIN, you need a VIN number to use the coupon. I was told you only get the VIN at the last stage of the car's building process. In my case, the car (2005 C230k) was ordered in June and was retailed 7 weeks later -- 5 weeks ahead of my coupon's expiration date.

Note that, if instead of financing I had bought the car for cash, then (according to my salesman) I could have paid for the car at any time after ordering it -- but would not have been able to use the coupon, making this option moot.

Hope this helps.
Your experience shows why you don't tell them about the coupon until after the price is set and when you're sitting down to write the contract.

My experience: Bought car via phone, basically as a 1 payment cash sale, sent Cashier's check from Credit Union, Cashier's check from Bank, via FedEx (paid for by the dealer in the same envelope used to send back signed contracts.) Had locked in the price at $38.5K plus shipping from Sacramento CA to Las Vegas and received written quote for that amount, faxed in return a copy of my CSpot Coupon, and in the contract it was treated like a $1500 cash down payment.

With truck shipping from Sacramento to my front door, $37.5k.

When I was contemplating ordering a 2005 C320 (until I settled on the wagon, found out the 320 Wagon was a no go for 2005, and had to track down a 2004) the local salesman said the coupon was good at time of order, since you have to sign a contract to even order the car.

Remind me not to shop where you do.

Chuck
Old 08-31-2004, 04:43 PM

Chuck:

I am glad that you were able to use the coupon despite buying cash. I hope that benzo-boi will be similarly lucky.

Still, I stand by my statements. The following assumptions, which you seem to be making, do not hold in my case.

(i) You assume that my car was a regular order. Nope, it was a diplomatic order. The substantially discounted price is set by MB USA, the car does not come from the dealer's regular allocation, and there is not much scope for negotiation. The dealer only acts as an administrative agent for MB USA.

(ii) You assume that I talked to the dealer about my C-spot coupon before agreeing on the price. Nope, it was done pretty much right before I signed the contract, a good 3 weeks after I first talked to him. Indeed, the dealer at first could not believe that the two discounts could be combined and had to check with MB USA that they could be. MB USA told them to honor the coupon, but please note that the LMT coupon specifically excludes diplomatic sales.

(iii) You assume that my info re: the need for a VIN came from the dealer. Nope, it came directly from MB USA.

Note also that I did confirm my dealer's info (re: the coupon's use being conditional on MB financing) with the MB headquarters in NJ. I was told the exact same thing by their European/diplomatic sales unit, with which I had several long conversations during the ordering process.

Bottom line: you bought an already-built 2004, I ordered a diplomatic 2005. Neither case seems exactly similar to that of benzo-boi. My guess is that mine is closer, but I may be wrong. I sure hope for benzo-boi that I am.

Moving to another question: how do you like the wagon? My brother is thinking of getting one for the extra space, but my feeling was that the rear leg space would be far from exceptional for his two (big) kids -- the space on a 325iT was better in my experience. What is your opinion?
Old 09-01-2004, 12:51 AM

BMW325 rear seat space

Originally Posted by ayilar
Chuck:

I am glad that you were able to use the coupon despite buying cash. I hope that benzo-boi will be similarly lucky.

Still, I stand by my statements. The following assumptions, which you seem to be making, do not hold in my case.

(i) You assume that my car was a regular order. Nope, it was a diplomatic order. The substantially discounted price is set by MB USA, the car does not come from the dealer's regular allocation, and there is not much scope for negotiation. The dealer only acts as an administrative agent for MB USA.

(ii) You assume that I talked to the dealer about my C-spot coupon before agreeing on the price. Nope, it was done pretty much right before I signed the contract, a good 3 weeks after I first talked to him. Indeed, the dealer at first could not believe that the two discounts could be combined and had to check with MB USA that they could be. MB USA told them to honor the coupon, but please note that the LMT coupon specifically excludes diplomatic sales.

(iii) You assume that my info re: the need for a VIN came from the dealer. Nope, it came directly from MB USA.

Note also that I did confirm my dealer's info (re: the coupon's use being conditional on MB financing) with the MB headquarters in NJ. I was told the exact same thing by their European/diplomatic sales unit, with which I had several long conversations during the ordering process.

Bottom line: you bought an already-built 2004, I ordered a diplomatic 2005. Neither case seems exactly similar to that of benzo-boi. My guess is that mine is closer, but I may be wrong. I sure hope for benzo-boi that I am.

Moving to another question: how do you like the wagon? My brother is thinking of getting one for the extra space, but my feeling was that the rear leg space would be far from exceptional for his two (big) kids -- the space on a 325iT was better in my experience. What is your opinion?
Didn't personally even consider the bimmer because a friend of mine has a 330 sedan that I don't like driving much.

Tried both the C and E series wagons and found the leg room the same in the rear seat between the C Sedan and the C Wagon. Maybe a tad bigger in the E series wagon, but the 3d seat was a waste, and I just didn't want to go the 10K difference.

I'm over six ft and judge back seat legroom by geting the drivers seat set for me, and then climbing in behind me. More than an inch knee clearance in the C, and that's good enough for me.

The last time I ordered a Benz was back in 86 and picked it up at the factory, with diplomatic pricing at the time. Had considered the factory pickup of an 05 since that gave 7% discount off list, and MBZ picked up the delivery and prep $720 charge, and then taking a vacation with the car. The dealer here knew I had the coupon, and was going to accept it against the overseas delivery order, But when I found out the 05 C Wagon stopped at the 240, the lack of power turned me off and killed that plan.

One great thing about the C Spot Drive was trying all the vehicles for hours in a row. Found out what I liked for speed comfort and everything, and don't really see that much difference between the 05 and 04.

But the dealer here in LV just wouldn't work to find me an 04 that wasn't in their lot. So, even though I got along well personally with him, did business on my own.

Chuck
Old 09-01-2004, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i have a C240 Wagon loaner right now. im not too impressed with the rear seat room. Then again I'm nearly 6'3". plus i dont let people ride behind me too often. expecially in my coupe. i do love the leg room i get in the front seats of my coupe though.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by CitronC230K_03
i have a C240 Wagon loaner right now. im not too impressed with the rear seat room. Then again I'm nearly 6'3". plus i dont let people ride behind me too often. expecially in my coupe. i do love the leg room i get in the front seats of my coupe though.
Well, you've got me by 2 1/2 inches. You're right on the coupe leg room as well.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:11 AM

Thanks a lot for the inputs guys!

Unfortunately, Penske Mercedes and Rusnak in Ca. would not honor the coupon (expires 09-06-04) for orders. They will only use it at the time of delivery. I called Mercedes Corp. to confirm, and they did. I guess if the dealer wants to make an exception, they can.

But, on the other hand. They found a car in stock with the options I want. Only the 6-CD changer option is an extra option in which I don't care for, being that I have an iPod. I'm getting my car for $150 over invoice. It sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I know a lot of people claim they get cars for way below invoice, but I just don't believe every one of them. My friend happens to be a Tech. at Penske, so he's hooking me up.

Thanks again guys.

I will post pics of the ride next weekend!
Old 09-02-2004, 05:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320ss, 2005 Ford F150 Supercrew, GSXR,
Originally Posted by benzo-boi
Thanks a lot for the inputs guys!....
Penske Mercedes found a car in stock with the options I want. Only the 6-CD changer option is an extra option in which I don't care for, being that I have an iPod. I'm getting my car for $150 over invoice. It sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I know a lot of people claim they get cars for way below invoice, but I just don't believe every one of them. My friend happens to be a Tech. at Penske, so he's hooking me up.
Thanks again guys.

I will post pics of the ride next weekend!
I usually don't comment on a deal unless a statement is made that makes it necessary.

1. This deal stinks!! Why are you posting it with such pride considering you have been on this forum over a year and should know better.

2. You are paying almost $700-$1000 for a cd changer you dont want? Why?

3. How is your friend hooking you up and he is a Tech?

4. $150 over invoice and their August special was $500 under invoice?

5. You did everthing wrong in terms of buying a car..... I don't understand considering you have access to all of the information here You have asked enough questions.... What happened?

6. I hope this price did not include the C-Spot coupon.......

7. The reason they did not make you a deal.......... Because you acted like there were no other dealerships and took what the offered you. A salesmans dream.....

Email I received and posted here on the forum

Dear Andrew,

Maybe we're crazy, but the Penske Internet Team has been challenged to break its all-time one-month sales record in August. What does this mean for you? It means we're taking all reasonable deals and giving top-dollar for trade-ins, while still providing the honest & transparent service that earned us the #1 JD Power Customer Satisfaction Score in the Los Angeles Region for 5 straight years.

Some examples of August Internet Specials:

2004 E320 Wagon, lease for only $499/mo + tax (45 month term; 45,000 total miles; MSRP of $53,380; $3,500 drive-off plus first payment, tax, title, license, and dealer fees; requires above-average credit.

2004 C230 Coupe, $1,000 below invoice

2005 C230 Sport Sedan, $500 below invoice
And it is just now September 1st, people want to close their books, make bonus $500 below invoice is a joke.......$1500 is more realistic..

Last edited by Anaheim_Drew; 09-02-2004 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:25 AM

I guess I'm going to make Rusnak shoot for $1000 below invoice. Invoice is $32,640 for:

auto
lighting package
sunroof package
brilliant silver

That'll make it ($32,640) - (C-Spot coupon $1500) = $31,140 + tax & license.

Is that better?
Old 09-03-2004, 04:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How can you renegotiate a deal you have made? You said you are getting $150 over invoice....... Now you are going to try something else?
It is sounding strange like you just wishing.............
Here is my question, would you be happy with $1000 below invoice with no hassels?

Last edited by Anaheim_Drew; 09-03-2004 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you go Drew!
Old 09-03-2004, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by CitronC230K_03
you go Drew!
Old 09-03-2004, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Anaheim_Drew
Man did this thread get convoluted.

Tell you how I worked my last purchase less than 7 weeks ago.

(1) By deciding on a 2004 at the end of the model year and not a 2005 at its start (driven by the fact that MBZ quit importing to the US the C320 Wagon) was sure to find dealers more willing to negotiate. Buy new model, especially any sort of redesign, and you loose a lot of negotiating room.

(2) Paid $40 for the Consumer Reports service that provided their listing of invoice as well as dealer cost prices for the car and all the options, and even provided the hold back they get credited by MB USA for sale of a particular car.

3. Purchase. Did all this by phone please understand -- me in Las Vegas, dealers in CA, never set foot in any dealership. Couldn't tell you what the salesman looks like if you paid me a Million $.

Called four dealers, nobody admitted to being able to help us. Found one who admitted they didn't have what I was looking for, but promised to get his manager to search Northern CA and see what he could find. He called me back in 2 hrs, said found one in SF, in our colors, but w/o phone and command. Knew the MBZ phone wasn't what I wanted anyway and my wife wasn't sold on the command, so I told him the car sounded right, but what was he going to ask.

From the Consurmer Reports package on line, I calculated $38,300 as the dealer cost of the car after the hold back was subtracted.

Sticker was $43040 plus fees. He quoted $39000 plus fees, I countered that I had been looking through the Consumers Reports data and, really was looking for no more than $38000. He said just a minute, let me talk to my manager. Came back and said, can't do $38000, how about $39000 plus about $65 in fees, and dealer will cover cost of truck transport of the car from CA to my house.

I said fax that to me signed by your manager and we have a deal. Two minutes later, heres my fax. THEN I sprung the C Spot Drive coupon on them by faxing a copy, let them know I was paying cash, and by my math I would be paying them $37,565. By return fax, I got a copy of the signed contract (original to arrive NLT Tuesday by FEDEX at dealer cost w/prepaid return of signed documents) showing everything exactly as negotiated.

Did all this on a Sunday afternoon in a period of five hours. Ten days later, my car delivered to my front door. I think I did all right.

Chuck
Old 09-03-2004, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Chuck, I give you a
My opinion now.
This thread would not be for you.... Because you educated yourself and got a decent deal. And based on your method of attack in the buying war, you are not one of the lost buyers searching for someone here to hold their hand while they buy their first MBZ and do no research. Try explaining while trying to help others get a deal like you did and you will end up

I make my living as a broker and 90% of the time I get my client an excellent deal....The other 10% are clients where price is not the issue. There time is what is important.

IMO your only error was not negotiating with the manager..All in all Good Job............

Last edited by Anaheim_Drew; 09-04-2004 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Banned

................ Bell Helicopter & '05 C230 SS
If he doesn't have any use for that coupon, or anyone else that has one that isn't going to use it and would like to help a fellow MBWorld user, I could use it for my new C230 !!!

Last edited by PRHeloPilot; 09-04-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:40 AM

Well, I finally bought the car. I got it for $1700 below invoice + $1500 C-Spot coupon at Rusnak. It took a lot of this dealer that dealer, but overall, I'm happy with the decision I made.

If any of you wanna buy a C-Class in the So. Cal area, go see Jonathon @ Rusnak.

I will post pics over the weekend.

Thanks guys,
Old 09-04-2004, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Congrats on your new car ! What did you end up getting ?

Obviously a C-Class but what model & year ? with what options ?

can't wait to see pics...

Old 09-04-2004, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by benzo-boi
Well, I finally bought the car. I got it for $1700 below invoice + $1500 C-Spot coupon at Rusnak. It took a lot of this dealer that dealer, but overall, I'm happy with the decision I made.

If any of you wanna buy a C-Class in the So. Cal area, go see Jonathon @ Rusnak.

I will post pics over the weekend.

Thanks guys,
Congrats are in order.

IMO I think your post should have read more like this....
Edited by Anaheim_Drew aka The Editor

Originally Posted by benzo-boi :y
Hey guys I finally bought the car. I got it for $1700 below invoice which is $1850 less than I was going to pay + $1500 C-Spot coupon at Rusnak. Wow I thought I was really getting a good deal at $150 over invoice. I was so sure I knew it all, and there was no way to get a car well under invoice. It took a lot of this dealer that dealer, but overall, I'm happy with the decision I made.
A special thanks to Anaheim_Drew and the others who spent their time pounding the information in my head.

Thanks guys,
You are welcome

Last edited by Anaheim_Drew; 09-04-2004 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:21 AM

haha, okay, okay, thank you anaheim drew..
Old 09-04-2004, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Cool

Drew IS " DA MAN "

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C-Spot $1500 coupon question