C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

w203 rough/rumbling on acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w203 c220
w203 rough/rumbling on acceleration

Hi there.

Im owning a w203 c220 cdi 110kw 150ps. 722.6 automatic gearbox. Car is fitted with DPF filter. Im having an issue with the car when accelerating. Start off is fine, when i hit from 2nd to 3rd gear and RPM drop from 2000 (2nd gear) to 1100( 3rd gear) and i hold the accelerator the car starts rumbling, vibrating. I cant point out directly from where the sound comes. Sometimes i believe its from the end, sometimes front right passenger side ( its left hand car ), There is no sound-problem at iddle when revving, when going down a hill. The sound is a combination of vibrations, rumbling, shaking. No squeaking. Its a deep tone. The sound is there only when the car shifts when accelerating and hits lower rpms on next gear, once the revs go above 1500-1600 its gone. When i drive in manual mode i keep it on 2000-2200 rpm, shift at 2500 and the sound doesnt come up.

Things ive replaced on the car

Front engine mounts - both with lemforder
Transmission mount lemforder
Front sway bar end links lemforder
Front control arms - all 4 meyle/trw, lemf was a bit out of the price
Outer tie rod both sides lemforder
Rear springs cant remember
Rear sway bar end links lemforder
Brakes are tight, there is no play on pads.

Im getting out of ideas. The exhaust was checked by a shop. They said everything is fine. I visually inspected the injectors. They are dry. I self inspected for a vacuum leak, couldnt find anything suspicious. jet its a self inspection, dont have a smoking machine. the transmission was services 80k km ago. Need to do an oil change within a month or two.

Note: the car had some sort of a chip box installed on the common rail sensor. Dashboard computer showed false fuel consumption. CIty consumption of 6l, open road 4.5l. Avarage kms of 900+ per tank. It never went above 600km. I took it out, plugged the OEM daimler connector back. It shows now a common normal consumption. Have to test it few tanks to see the numbers. Its mosttly being driven in city with traffic. I believe ill get 650-700kms out of this tank.

Btw i dont have the faulty valeo radiator problem, no glycol problem.

If you have anything to share or give me a hint where to look at please do so. I have an appointment next week at the dealer. I visited so far a couple of shops none of them could track the problem..

Last edited by anel.bahtanovic; 07-16-2021 at 01:46 PM.