C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

DIY - setting up the AUX input for iPod, mp3 player, etc.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.65 average.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by chkdg8
Is that cable a dell or an after market (generic) auxiliary piece?

Edit: I'm just looking for someone who has used this mod for something other than an ipod. It would be real dumb for me to buy my desired mp3 player (creative vision m) and having already bought the auxiliary cable and not being able to perform this awesome mod. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks to all in advance.
just a standard stereo-mini to stereo-mini cable should do to plug in any mp3 player into the aux input. you just plug it into the headphone jack of the mp3 player and then plug the other end into the aux.

I used to use my Dell DJ with it and then used my ipod with it using the same cable... now, I bought the ipod cigarette lighter attachment b/c the sound wasn't as loud as I wanted.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally, an old school mbw hommie comes through! What's up bro? I haven't been on this forum in a while. I appreciate the very simple information that I was looking for. If I wanted to be like everyone else, I would've gone the ipod route but the Zen is a phat 4$$ mp3 player. Btw, how much of a difference in sound is there between the cigarette lighter, cable or cassette tape kit? Thanks dude.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chkdg8
Finally, an old school mbw hommie comes through! What's up bro? I haven't been on this forum in a while. I appreciate the very simple information that I was looking for. If I wanted to be like everyone else, I would've gone the ipod route but the Zen is a phat 4$$ mp3 player. Btw, how much of a difference in sound is there between the cigarette lighter, cable or cassette tape kit? Thanks dude.

no problem man! I know, I haven't seen you on here in a while! the zen is pretty bad ***...

I used to plug in my iPod to the AUX input via just a stereo mini to stereo mini cable and then bought the belkin cigarette lighter adaptor which had a built in amplifier (look a little above in this page). but the sucker had an electrical hum when I used it so it got really annoying. so, I got the noise filter that trekman recommended and it's a lot better. it sounds pretty good. I've never used a cassette kit or anything like that in this car, but I know from past experience, those things suck ***.

If there's some sort of cigarette lighter adaptor/amplifier for the Zen, it would work great with the AUX input.

You should come by the forum more often!
Old 04-27-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C350 Coupe
Thumbs up Cassette Radio without Aux.

I just wanted to pass along some information for those with the old Cassette radio.

I have the factory Cassette radio. I don’t have the CD changer. I bought an IPOD and XM radio. I mounted the XM radio in the ashtray and ran an extra power outlet off the existing one. I keep the IPOD in the cubby below the radio. I once thought about Ice>Link for my IPOD, but decided to save money and use a cassette adapter. I now have all the music, sports and talk radio I could ever want.

Since I have the factory standard cassette radio without an aux input, I had to try and make do using the XM Roady 2’s built in FM transmitter. This was not a good option as the volume was lower for XM than my iPOD and radio. I almost killed my ears a few times. The worst part was that depending where I drove, the station I’d chose to broadcast to went from static to a regular FM station. Unacceptable.

Here’s what I did to become happy:

I turned the tape button into an aux input.

I decided to go to Radio Shack and buy parts.
1 tape adapter
1 adapter to connect the 1/8” male prong from the cassette adapter to the 1/8” male prong of a dual headphone adapter.
2 6 foot male to male stereo cables
2 right angle adapters so the cable could snake the tight turns in the ashtray and the cubby under the radio.

Off the tape adapter, I connected the dual headphone splitter. Into the 2 headphone slots, I connected the 6 foot cables. These cables are connected, one to the sat radio and one to the iPOD. I hid the wires behind the trim so none is seen except a half inch of the cassette adapter cable where it comes out from behind the cassette door and disappears between the radio and cubby below it. The cable for the iPOD, which remains in the cubby below the radio, comes out from behind the trim on the right side where the trim meets the radio and cubby piece. I kind of squished the cable. Everything looks neat. The cable for the IPOD is hidden behind the trim of the consol

I am now able to play the sat radio and the iPOD at the same time hearing both. I select the device I want to listen to by turning on only one source and selecting tape.

I know it may not be the prettiest, but it works quite well.
Attached Thumbnails DIY - setting up the AUX input for iPod, mp3 player, etc.-3.jpg   DIY - setting up the AUX input for iPod, mp3 player, etc.-1.jpg  

Last edited by BeaverMjr; 04-27-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:12 PM

2005 C230SS 6spd Blk/Blk, 2006 C350 SS 6spd Blk/Blk
Really nice and clean! When i had my 02 C320, I couldn't get it looking that nice. Good job!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
I wonder if the local dealers are willing to perform this installation even for a fee. Anybody ask one yet?

I apologize if I didn't search properly. I did run a search and I didn't find much.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by patrick_y
I wonder if the local dealers are willing to perform this installation even for a fee. Anybody ask one yet?

I apologize if I didn't search properly. I did run a search and I didn't find much.
they are. I asked mine when I got the car and they wanted 3 hours of work time for it and they charge over $100 per hour... So add that up...
Old 04-28-2006, 02:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C350 Coupe
the dealer

I'm glad you like the install Neilsam.

Yeah, I asked the dealer and they told me they could do it, but they would have to charge way more than I wanted to pay. Besides, the satisfaction of completing this mod yourself is far greater than if you pay someone to do it.

By the way, circuit city wanted $75 to do it.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:56 PM

2013 C300 Sport 4Matic
I have a 2002 c230 coupe. I have an MBENZNL Comand 2.0 installed into it. I do have the slot in my glovebox for the AUX to go through, but I don't have the connector in my door panel. Is this connector something I can add to my c1/c2 connectors? Anyone have a part number for that half of the connector? Or, could I just hardwire my harness into the COMAND's c1/c2? Anyone know what the 4 wires in the harness do? I think they are audio right, right ground, audio left, and left ground - but not sure on the colors. I just got my harness in today, but even the pins seem to be a diff. size than the ones in the back of the COMAND. Got mine for $31 from New Country here in Connecticut. If I could install the other half of the connector, I'll try to do that. It'd prob be easier to hardwire this into the COMAND though. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2006, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by morph860
I have a 2002 c230 coupe. I have an MBENZNL Comand 2.0 installed into it. I do have the slot in my glovebox for the AUX to go through, but I don't have the connector in my door panel. Is this connector something I can add to my c1/c2 connectors? Anyone have a part number for that half of the connector? Or, could I just hardwire my harness into the COMAND's c1/c2? Anyone know what the 4 wires in the harness do? I think they are audio right, right ground, audio left, and left ground - but not sure on the colors. I just got my harness in today, but even the pins seem to be a diff. size than the ones in the back of the COMAND. Got mine for $31 from New Country here in Connecticut. If I could install the other half of the connector, I'll try to do that. It'd prob be easier to hardwire this into the COMAND though. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
The mod they're talking about is for 05+ cars, not yours. The input Steve put in your glovebox is what you should be using. You can add an extension wire to that and run it wherever you'd like the AUX input to be. Steve did mine so it's in the ashtray area under the climate controls.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:21 PM

2013 C300 Sport 4Matic
I did my own COMAND install, I ordered the parts online - Steve didn't do it. I figured it out though, thanks. If anyone is wondering...

Pin 4: Audio Right (brown)
Pin 5: Right Ground (black)
Pin 13: Audio Left (yellow)
Pin 14: Left Ground (bare)

I just cut my harness, and installed them into these slots on my c2 behind the COMAND. Works fine. Part number for pins: 0085455526

Last edited by morph860; 05-03-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:14 PM

How to remove the door sill?

Hello there,
I have just ordered my interface cable at the local MB dealer (Italy). In order to go ahead with the job, I did a look at the door sill, but didn't undrstand how it is plugged... Didn't want to force, to avoid braking it: could you give me some hints on how it is pluigged?
Old 05-13-2006, 03:22 PM

02' C230k Sport Coupe
jeez, what model do you have?
Old 05-13-2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by fanito
jeez, what model do you have?
It's a C220SW, 1 month old. I found the "closed hole" in the glove box, so now have to unplug the sill. But don't want to crash. No screws, so I guess it is just "locked" and I should press in the right place to get it out, right?
Old 05-13-2006, 05:44 PM

08' BMW E92 Coupe
Originally Posted by zamfr01
It's a C220SW, 1 month old. I found the "closed hole" in the glove box, so now have to unplug the sill. But don't want to crash. No screws, so I guess it is just "locked" and I should press in the right place to get it out, right?
yes, no screws. tug alittle and you'll find the spots were it's locked in place. then slowly apply more pressure until it comes off.

I just picked up my cable this morning and did the install this afternoon. took about a half an hour and works great. the only thing i don't like is my ipod keeps playing after i shut the car off. get back in the car and i realized the ipod was a few songs later. sound quality is great, wasn't sure what to expect but it sounds as good as a CD, sometimes i actually think better. great mod!!! cable cost me $47 at my local dealer.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by nlpamg
they are. I asked mine when I got the car and they wanted 3 hours of work time for it and they charge over $100 per hour... So add that up...
Yikes, $300+ for a simple install like that.

Goodness. It's okay, I don't listen to my iPod anyways.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:38 PM

2006 C280
Aux Input

I just wanted to say thanks to SAWLOO, the person who apparently figured this out. Last Wed. I picked up a CPO C240 wagon w/o COMMAND. The car is great but my Griffin Roadtrip iPod FM modulator sucked. I found this thread and went to my dealer. He only knew about the $299 factory iPod kit. Once I gave him the part number, he checked the computer and found that there are 70 of them in the US. The part came in the next day. It took just 15 minutes to install, cost me $31 (Mercedes Benz of Pompano) and it works great!

Next item on the list is Sirius Sat Radio. Assuming I can even find the factory kit for less than the $1,200 my dealer wants just for the parts, does anyone know if it is a difficult install?
Old 05-20-2006, 12:26 AM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
Again the collabo round here pays off! Finally got around to doing mine. The steps/hints/warnings here made it about 15 min install, & working great.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Ok...so far what I got from this thread is you need a command unit with active AUX in. My question is this: using this AUX cable, can you use the steering wheel controls to change songs and go to different folders in the ipod itself?
Anyone here have a 2006 E class or CLS class and have done this method? Is the connector still under the door sill or have they moved it for model year 2006? Thanks guys.
Stiggs
Old 06-11-2006, 10:23 AM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
No, using the AUX cable will NOT allow for steering wheel controls. You'll need the kit for that.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Thanks man!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 clk320 cabriolet
Just added aux to 05 clk

Just wanted to thank everyone on this thread. I would've never got it done without all the information everyone gave. It does definitly work on 05 clk. Hope this helps anyone that was wondering if it worked on a 05 clk. Took me 15 minutes to install it. I bought my cable at sf benz. $41 including tax. The onlly difference i saw between the clk and c, is that when i was fishing for the connector, it was connected to three others. The aux connector was the only one that didn;t have anything connected to it. Hope this wasn;t to confusing. Good luck to everyone.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:06 PM

'06 C230
Question 2006 C230 A-Pillar?

So I tried to take the A Pillar off but encountered 2 clips (painted in yellow) that hold the pillar in place. I did take the screw off but the clips maintained the pillar in place and I was afraid to pull any harder thinking I could damage something.

It seems like the older models do not have these 2 yellow clips that hold the pillar in place but in case someone knows of what I refer to please reply.

The car I have is a C230 - Year 2006

Old 07-01-2006, 05:11 PM
Almost a Member!

07 C230 SS Black/Black
Originally Posted by erickpro
So I tried to take the A Pillar off but encountered 2 clips (painted in yellow) that hold the pillar in place. I did take the screw off but the clips maintained the pillar in place and I was afraid to pull any harder thinking I could damage something.

It seems like the older models do not have these 2 yellow clips that hold the pillar in place but in case someone knows of what I refer to please reply.

The car I have is a C230 - Year 2006

After remove the torx screw, you need to push the panel reward.
Those two yellow clips are holding the panel to the door opening frame.
Need to apply a little force to it. Rearward and up will remove the kick panel.
Good luck.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
w215 - CL55 w/stage III
IPOD intergration

has anyone tried the ipod interface availble at MB of Milton-Keynes?

Link: http://shop.mercedes-benzofmiltonkey....php?cPath=148

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.65 average.

Quick Reply: DIY - setting up the AUX input for iPod, mp3 player, etc.