C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

DIY - setting up the AUX input for iPod, mp3 player, etc.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.65 average.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320 4matic + 2005 ML500
worked fine for '05 c320 4matic

It was a safe 20-min work. Thanks for great info!

My next challenge is to attach my MP3 player (dell DJ20) somewhere on the console. I'm looking at drilling unused button space next to seat heater button, etc. Anyone has done that?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 CLK55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by ctC230K
hmm mine didn't look like that, it was just a single plug.
actually, mine just goes under the passenger seat, I zip tied it to the bars and cables underneath there so it stays in place and you can't see it and you would never know it was there unless i told you. i also got the ground loop isolator from radio shack, you'll probably need that because the aux cable will pick up a lot of noise from the alternator if you plug anything into the 12V outlet in the dash. from there the cable just runs up the passenger side of the center console into the armrest or into the ashtray if i'm using sirius. the cable itself isn't hardwired because i unplug it often to switch between sirius and the ipod.
CtC230,

How did you get the mini plug to run out of the glove box and down the passenger floor to the center console?

I am think of just running the cable out of the A pillar and bypassing the glove box and straight to the center console. Will this work? Also, how long does the mini plug have to be?

Thanks,

D
Old 07-29-2006, 01:30 AM

05 CLK55 ///AMG
I completed the job today. The A pillar started to break because of the upper yellow clip. I had to pull pretty dang hard and still don't know how it came off. My harness was attached to another connected male/female connection. I was able to connect it. Rather than running it to the glove box, I ran the cable above carpet towards the center console. I purchased a cheap mini plug to mini plug adapter because best buy and circuit city were out of the monster cable. Since it was about the 3rd of the size of the monster cable I was able to push the wire between the center console and the carpet and run it towards the passenger seat and up to the cupholder where I can place my ipod. I am going to keep it that way for awhile and see how it goes. Thanks for the help everyone and if any can explain how to get them damn yellow clips off it would be appreciated!

D
Old 07-29-2006, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by DiceCedes
CtC230,

How did you get the mini plug to run out of the glove box and down the passenger floor to the center console?

I am think of just running the cable out of the A pillar and bypassing the glove box and straight to the center console. Will this work? Also, how long does the mini plug have to be?

Thanks,

D
the glovebox? there is no cable running in or out of the glovebox on my setup. that cable that would have run into the glove box just runs from the door sill to the passenger seat and then to the center console, along the side. next to the shifter is a piece of leather or mb-tex trim, below that piece is where it meets the fuzzy carpet, right in there is enough room to fit a cable if u wanna hide it and run it to the ashtray.

one more thing, u will need a ground loop isolator from radioshack. you will get lots of interference from being so close to the drive shaft.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:20 PM

05 CLK55 ///AMG
Thanks CTC230K. I got you now. I did the same and decided not to go to the glovebox. Rather than going to the passenger seat I went the other way. So far there is no feedback.
D
Old 07-29-2006, 07:09 PM

2005 Brabus C55
Check your glovebox before you start tearing into panels!

I got everything apart (not a big deal, but it's f'ing hot & humid & I'm drenched) ... couldn't find an open plug, something was already plugged into the AUX ... the previous owner did the mod already

If you're not the original owner, check the glovebox for a jack BEFORE you order parts & tear into the driver's side of the car.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 C230 Sport Sedan & 02 ML500
Awesome write up!!! Took like 20mins and was sooo simple......Everything was right were it shows.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:40 PM

help to remove center console on 2005 C230 for Ipod aux cable?

does anyone know how to remove the passenger side center console on a c230 2005. i'm talking about the piece next to the gear shift that sits by the passenger side seat. I'm trying to run an auxilary cable under it and into the armrest for use with an ipod.

Last edited by diamonddnice; 08-05-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Uhhh........Shouldn't this question be posed to the guys over in the W202 forum? I'd think you would get a better response from the people that own the car you are refering to.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by ScottW911
Uhhh........Shouldn't this question be posed to the guys over in the W202 forum? I'd think you would get a better response from the people that own the car you are refering to.
no i'm just a moron. cause it i meant to say 2005! better edit my post.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
MERGED to IPOD integration thread.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:40 PM

BLACK 05 C230SS
I just wanted to Thank the Original guy who posted the instructions because i finally got around and did this mod in under 30 minutes without breaking anything. Now like everyone else, i have to figure out how to hide the wire and or relocate it somewhere else like you guys did.

The guy at the Dealer Parts department never heard of this and was so curious on how to do this. He offered me wholesale pricing now on all items i purchase thru him now. I bought the cable for this mod for $32.00 from him and gave him the information.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:58 PM

Great thread and so easy to do with all the fine instructions (well I managed!!)

Having done this I'm thinking that an ipod interface kit would be even better (for my 2006 C220).

But in the UK my local dealer wants £170 for the kit (OK that's probably non negotiable) but they also want the same for fitting

Off now to see if there is another thread that could tell me how to fit it myself!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230 SS
finally did it. ordered cable from dealer ($35, long beach Benz) took about 20mins to install. got a Scoshe steering wheel mounted RF wireless remote, stuck ipod in center console, BAM works great. Sound quality sounds like the CD player. ill take pics as soon as i wash car, its prett damn dirty.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by drho2004
finally did it. ordered cable from dealer ($35, long beach Benz) took about 20mins to install. got a Scoshe steering wheel mounted RF wireless remote, stuck ipod in center console, BAM works great. Sound quality sounds like the CD player. ill take pics as soon as i wash car, its prett damn dirty.

can you show pics on how you got it into the center console?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by sawloo
I wired an extension cable to the center hand rest compartment. I am actually looking for a bluetooth module to connect my cell and ipod wirelessly. Anyone has some good suggestion?
How do I get that piece off so that I can get the extension wire thru there? Also can anyone advise on how to wire this? does it go under carpet to the aux input in the kick panel?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:14 PM

I tried to get it into the armrest thru the whole like the above shot by sawloo but have no idea how to do it...

I bought the zip linq Stereo 3.5mm Digital Audio Cable (uses the cradle sync area vs the headphone output) and it works great. Sound is pretty decent (kinda flat but fixed with extra bass and treble)

http://www.ziplinq.com/images/prod-i...R%20BUTTON.jpg

I did notice that under the armrest where it meets the carpeting, there's an indentation but it just goes to the area where the holes are and not where sawloo wired it.

Last edited by ikkoku; 09-13-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:03 AM

2006 C280
Originally Posted by ikkoku
I tried to get it into the armrest thru the whole like the above shot by sawloo but have no idea how to do it...

I bought the zip linq Stereo 3.5mm Digital Audio Cable (uses the cradle sync area vs the headphone output) and it works great. Sound is pretty decent (kinda flat but fixed with extra bass and treble)

I did notice that under the armrest where it meets the carpeting, there's an indentation but it just goes to the area where the holes are and not where sawloo wired it.
Ikkoku, if you remove the rear seat ashtray and loosen the bolts attaching the console to the tunnel, you will be able to pull the cable past indentation and into the rear seat area. Shine a flashlight back through the ashtray area and look inside the console for the light. You should see it under a tab that used to be where the cable in that previous pic is now. Either break the tab out or drill a hole and fish your cable back into the ashtray space and through the hole. When you've done that, replace the ashtray and you're done.

There's not a lot of space for your fingers in that rear ashtray area but with some time and patience, it can be done.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by ikkoku

WOW that is awesome!!! I need that cable! That would get rid of my mess of wires and adapters I have to use now!
Old 09-14-2006, 02:25 PM

Great post! I love enjoying my mp3.

I have a 2006 C350. Followed every step as the author said and listed. Everything worked! It's a bit hard to take off your door sill and all those plastic covers. There is a moment me and my friend started to think maybe this is NOT meant to be open as we didn't want to force it. Routing the cable takes a bit time too, but everything worked in the end. Enjoying my mp3 everyday now~

Btw, I got the cable from this dealer in TEXAS which only cost me $22 or 26 bucks (can't remember the exact number) instead of the supposed $44. Found him on eBay. Great guy to work with. I live in CA and he was able to ship the goods to me as well. It was a whole lot better to order thru him than my local dealers. I went to 3 different dealers around OC and LA area, no one know what I was talking about and tried to talk me into buy the iPod kit for $500.

Anyhow, this is a great post! A+++++++++++++++
Old 09-14-2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by barrykaye
Ikkoku, if you remove the rear seat ashtray and loosen the bolts attaching the console to the tunnel, you will be able to pull the cable past indentation and into the rear seat area. Shine a flashlight back through the ashtray area and look inside the console for the light. You should see it under a tab that used to be where the cable in that previous pic is now. Either break the tab out or drill a hole and fish your cable back into the ashtray space and through the hole. When you've done that, replace the ashtray and you're done.

There's not a lot of space for your fingers in that rear ashtray area but with some time and patience, it can be done.
'loosen the bolts attaching the console to the tunnel'
which bolts are you talking about? and what/where is the tunnel? Sorry I'm new to all of this. first MB picked up a 2007 a few weeks ago.

Last edited by ikkoku; 09-15-2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:44 PM

'14 CLA 45
what keeps you from just buying something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Charger-FM-R...QQcmdZViewItem

or

the second one you could just stick in the lighter thing .. take off the trim at your shifter and direct the cable below it into your armrest ... if you dont need it - just pull it out of the lighter and store in the glovbox.

or does this stuff for some reason dont work with MB radios? wouldnt really know why not.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by cyberswap
Hi, I've been able to get the AUX cable harness connected to the connector in the foot panel but I don't get any sound when the AUX Input is active. Did anyone have a similar problem? Also, is there a need to alter anything on the back of the headunit itself?

Thanks in advance.

im having the same issue, pluged it in and tested it before i put it back together and got no sound..... tried two ipods to make sure, then i tried headphones out the ipod to make sure.... is there something that im doin wrong?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by kickR
what keeps you from just buying something like this:

or

the second one you could just stick in the lighter thing .. take off the trim at your shifter and direct the cable below it into your armrest ... if you dont need it - just pull it out of the lighter and store in the glovbox.

or does this stuff for some reason dont work with MB radios? wouldnt really know why not.
trust me you do not want an fm adapter. they're HORRIBLE. I had the belkin tunecast and it sucks. its always static, while you're driving the audio will be cutting in and out and then when you get near a station with a strong signal it will play both your ipod and the radio station. its a waste of money just get the aux cable and do it the right way.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:07 PM

if anyone is interested in using the ipod connector instead of the headphone output, this is where I got it from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zip-Linq-3-5mm-D...QQcmdZViewItem

it works great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.65 average.

Quick Reply: DIY - setting up the AUX input for iPod, mp3 player, etc.