C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Engine/transmission swap out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 230 Kompressor

Has anyone successfully changed out an engine and transmission from a 2002 C230 2.3 Kompressor and put it into a 2003 C230 1.8 Kompressor? The 2002 engine/transmission is good. The 2003 engine is a total leaker (oil everywhere, how do you track it all down). Has a few other issues, also - water line into the back of the block is broken. To fix that, you almost have to remove the engine, I am given to understand. The 2002 is rusting out due to living it's first 13 years in Chicago, IL, with, apparently little or no TLC. Major rust, everywhere, Had it treated, repainted - no hope. Bottom is rusting out (it has retired in Florida). But engine and transmission is strong. I love driving this car. I LOVE this car. Have swapped out seats between the '02 and '03, plus multiple other interior parts. 2003 interior trashed out. 2002, good. Please, would like good advice. Don't have Jeff Bezos $$. But, if doable, and reasonable, would like input. Have a great mechanic who has done a lot of repairs, maintenance on the 2002. Need honest opinions, or actual experience and input, advice. I appreciate it. Love this car, but have to cut losses, sometimes. First Mercedes ever. Funky looking car. Fell in love with it at first sight. Love how it drove (except for the noises that I eventually tracked down-shocks,etc.)

Thanks, Jackie
Old 07-24-2021, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 342 Posts
C320
Both of those engines are unreliable. If you want something reliable and easy to work on get a C320.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:53 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
w203cl
Haven't done this but the ECU had only minor changes between this engines, emission and charger control related. SIM 4LE and SIM 4LKE
http://mb-teilekatalog.info
The following users liked this post:
GrammieMZB2002 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 201 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
I imagine that as long as you replace all the electronics (ECU, ignition module, possibly steering column lock, possibly instrument cluster?) there's no reason why it won't work. Basically the VIN has to match when the relevant modules do their handshakes.

With that said, the 2003-2005 M271 engines have their share of leaks, but every one of them is a known problem with a relatively cheap and easy fix (ie replace the component with an updated version, no need to remove the engine from the car). The only not-so-easy issue and common point of failure is with the single gang timing chain, but those can also be replaced with a newer version for a few hundred bucks at a local indie. All of the said leaks (cam sensors, vacuum pump, plastic coolant pipes at the rear/side/front) for this engine have been addressed, and the information can be found on this forum. Personally my engine hasn't had a leak in years after everything above was fixed, and I'm still running the original chain.

I think the M111 is also known for having head gaskets go bad. Something to keep in mind. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Last edited by slammer111; 07-25-2021 at 06:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GrammieMZB2002 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 01:30 PM

C 230 Kompressor
Smile

Originally Posted by slammer111
I imagine that as long as you replace all the electronics (ECU, ignition module, possibly steering column lock, possibly instrument cluster?) there's no reason why it won't work. Basically the VIN has to match when the relevant modules do their handshakes.

With that said, the 2003-2005 M271 engines have their share of leaks, but every one of them is a known problem with a relatively cheap and easy fix (ie replace the component with an updated version, no need to remove the engine from the car). The only not-so-easy issue and common point of failure is with the single gang timing chain, but those can also be replaced with a newer version for a few hundred bucks at a local indie. All of the said leaks (cam sensors, vacuum pump, plastic coolant pipes at the rear/side/front) for this engine have been addressed, and the information can be found on this forum. Personally my engine hasn't had a leak in years after everything above was fixed, and I'm still running the original chain.

I think the M111 is also known for having head gaskets go bad. Something to keep in mind. Maybe someone else can chime in.
Thank you so much for your quick reply! I appreciate it, especially the part without having the change out the engines to fix the leaks. I love driving the 2002, and have relatively very few issues with this car, other than the doggone rust!! The attachment holding the emergency brake line rusted through, so John had to find another place to attach it!
Changing out the good interior (2002) to the 2003 has been enough of a challenge! Still can't find driver side A pillar. Why would those ever get lost??

Thanks, again. Your car is absolutely a gorgeous color!
Jackie
Old 07-26-2021, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 210 Likes on 201 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Thanks for the kind words.

Actually there is one problem with the M271 that's definitely much more of a pain to fix, which is the crankcase breather hoses and check valve. Can be DIYed but I totally hated myself the entire time. The good news is that there was a recall in 2008. If the dealer never took care of it (they go by VIN and possibly engine number), they'll do it for free. I don't think recalls ever expire.

They started galvanizing random cars (luck of the draw based on assembly line order) for MY2003, with all MY2004+ vehicles covered. That's why so many 2002s have rust problems.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:19 AM

C 230 Kompressor

Wonderful! Will call a dealership here in FL. Hopefully, one of them will let me know if my car is still eligible. Because there is a hose that makes the car "surge", but when you plug it up, runs fine! Will keep you updated if you are interested in the outcome. May wind up with TWO Mercedes for sale!! Wish me luck!!

Thanks, Jackie