C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Best Back up camera for W203

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 10:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
Best Back up camera for W203

Hi guys
I've been working on my C55 this weekend, trying to fit a reverse camera while I'm waiting for the fibre optic decoder to come for my new radio. I stripped the trunk lid trim but the camera I have would not really be a great fit anywhere around the back. I have this type:

Besides the look of it, just being suspended from a flimsy bracket, I don't really want to drill a massive hole in the trunk to get the power and video female RCA in there. It doesn't seem as though I can open the camera up to desolder the wires either, even if I could this would probably affect how waterproof it is.
I thought about this camera:

I Would fit this somewhere between the release handle and license plate light. But, upon closer inspection, there is a big torx screw either side of the trunk lid release handle. I had this thought because there is a hole for a cable next to the handle that was made previously to fit a rear radar/speed camera sensor (which I've now removed).
So, I would like to know what solutions you guys have for the W203, I know there is a license plate lamp back up camera but then you lose one lamp, the benefit of this being that no holes would have to be drilled. Any advice or help would be appreciated, maybe some pictures from those of you that have done this already.

Last edited by Sly1980; 11-07-2021 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:08 PM

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
Check out posts 5 through 7 of this thread

It shows the installation of a camera that mounts under the license plate and how I installed it without drilling any holes.

Good luck with your project.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:45 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by KevinH2000
Check out posts 5 through 7 of this thread

It shows the installation of a camera that mounts under the license plate and how I installed it without drilling any holes.

Good luck with your project.
​​​@KevinH2000
​​​​Looks like you have done some extensive work on your Merc, great job documenting everything!
I was unclear of where the camera mounts, you mention under the license plate, does this mean behind? I had thought of the same, although our license plates (or number plates as we call them in SA) are narrower and have a plastic holder which could be used to mount. With regards to the hole you mention, this has a stud which hold the license plate trim, in addition to the 6 clips. Is that trim ok without the stud? Then there is also the matter of how to get the female RCA plugs through that hole. Here is a picture of the SA style plate.

Last edited by Sly1980; 11-07-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2021, 08:13 PM

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
The camera I used looks like this one

The camera mounting bracket is captured between the vehicle and the license plate - like the filling in a sandwich is caught between the two pieces of bread.

I cannot determine whether it would work with your style of license plate and license plate holder. It appears that Mercedes designed the trunk/boot lid to accept several different styles of license plate holders and the mounting points and hardware may vary significantly. The back up camera I have partially blocks the external trunk release. There is enough room to slip my fingers in if I want to use the release.

The cable for my camera has a thin segment that attaches to the camera. It plugs into a connector on the main harness of the camera. The part that I needed to thread through the existing hole in the trunk lid was small enough that I didn't have to enlarge the hole. There was no need to push the RCA cable to the exterior of the car. (The camera in the link looks similar to mine in this regard.) In your car it appears the hole I used may be used as part of your license plate mount. I cannot say whether you can do without it.

Last edited by KevinH2000; 11-07-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:39 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by KevinH2000
The camera I used looks like this one

The camera mounting bracket is captured between the vehicle and the license plate - like the filling in a sandwich is caught between the two pieces of bread.

I cannot determine whether it would work with your style of license plate and license plate holder. It appears that Mercedes designed the trunk/boot lid to accept several different styles of license plate holders and the mounting points and hardware may vary significantly. The back up camera I have partially blocks the external trunk release. There is enough room to slip my fingers in if I want to use the release.

The cable for my camera has a thin segment that attaches to the camera. It plugs into a connector on the main harness of the camera. The part that I needed to thread through the existing hole in the trunk lid was small enough that I didn't have to enlarge the hole. There was no need to push the RCA cable to the exterior of the car. (The camera in the link looks similar to mine in this regard.) In your car it appears the hole I used may be used as part of your license plate mount. I cannot say whether you can do without it.
@KevinH2000
Thanks for the reply, that camera would definitely work, especially the slim plug to fit through that hole. With regards to the stud, I guess this is standard for that plastic trim piece, you mentioned the nut for it in your reverse camera post. Below are some pictures of it.

The hole in the center is where it goes.

The stud that goes into the hole, notice the square shank that matches the cutout on the plastic trim. I guess it's there to prevent the trim piece from falling out should the clips fail.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 108 Likes on 101 Posts
2005 w203 C230
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-5KIMCD...x-ACA501D.html

I used that and was pretty happy with it overall. Originally it pointed too low, so I had to wedge it up. I have it mounted as “OEM” looking as possible, I’ll try to upload pictures later/soon, and it’s caked in dum dum weatherproof putty.

Here is a picture at night…

Old 11-08-2021, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
Sorry for bad pictures…

Old 11-09-2021, 10:09 AM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by BF_JC230
Sorry for bad pictures…

@BF_JC230
looks really good! Did you have to still any holes for this?
Old 11-09-2021, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
Yes, it required the hole in the plastic to mount the camera…and, because of poor planning, it then required a larger hole in the sheet metal than I wanted. It’s a small camera, but here’s my takeaway:

I mounted it vertically as per the camera’s mount indicates. I thought I accounted enough room when replacing and re-attaching the OEM license plate plastic tray surround. The license plate tray mounts horizontally, so, I did not plan well enough…Final fit, with camera up and snug, as well as providing comfortable wire loom room indicated that I had to take it off/on/off/on a few times to get the smallest hole, and the best not crimped fit. I did not properly account for the already mounted camera and the height of the cable…that’s what threw me the most after thinking it through after. Maybe I should have snapped the camera in after mounting the license plate frame, but, I didn’t, as I built the footer and base for it on the bench…

Anyway, I have seen some avoid holes and mounting issues altogether by buying a 1/2 license plate lamp housing 1/2 camera housing like above. I did not prefer that look and wanted a different camera. Crutchfield helped me select a good camera for my application, which I feel looks very OEM.

Last edited by BF_JC230; 11-09-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:06 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by BF_JC230
Yes, it required the hole in the plastic to mount the camera…and, because of poor planning, it then required a larger hole in the sheet metal than I wanted. It’s a small camera, but here’s my takeaway:

I mounted it vertically as per the camera’s mount indicates. I thought I accounted enough room when replacing and re-attaching the OEM license plate plastic tray surround. The license plate tray mounts horizontally, so, I did not plan well enough…Final fit, with camera up and snug, as well as providing comfortable wire loom room indicated that I had to take it off/on/off/on a few times to get the smallest hole, and the best not crimped fit. I did not properly account for the already mounted camera and the height of the cable…that’s what threw me the most after thinking it through after. Maybe I should have snapped the camera in after mounting the license plate frame, but, I didn’t, as I built the footer and base for it on the bench…

Anyway, I have seen some avoid holes and mounting issues altogether by buying a 1/2 license plate lamp housing 1/2 camera housing like above. I did not prefer that look and wanted a different camera. Crutchfield helped me select a good camera for my application, which I feel looks very OEM.
@BF_JC230
Yes, I agree that it looks very OEM. I guess that's the trade-off, having to drill into the sheet metal for this look but the end result is arguably the best out there.
But thanks for taking the time to replay to my thread, I really appreciate all the input and it will definitely help me with my project.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
You’re welcome.
Again, I coated the seams here in rubberized dum dum putty - not the cleanest - but -
wanted it waterproof. Hopefully this picture shows scale, spacing and mounting. It had to thread between the light, the handle and the associated internal mounting flanges and hardware…

Old 03-12-2023, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
I have received a few messages about my install:

OEM headunit: all you need is a MClass w164 (USA standard with back up cam) I bought a unit off eBay
164-820-1779 for $180 May/2021.

Swap over w203 face and screen onto w164 unit:

From there (ask seller if they can include harness for ends) you need to connect camera + to pin 7 (top row) for Video and the - to pin 1(bottom row) in connector block three.

Aftermarket:
I bought from Crutchfield Voxx 220ACA501D. It took some work to fit for sure as mentioned above based on vertical load orientation and me mounting it into the plastic plate that mounts to the car horizontally…

Hope that helps!