C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2002 C240 won’t shift past neutral to park, car stuck in limp mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c240
2002 C240 won’t shift past neutral to park, car stuck in limp mode

Keep in mind that I started having the same limp mode problem “without the shifter issue” last winter when my car battery went dead over night but was fixed after I had purchased an icarsoft reader to reset the tcm. Fast forward 9 months, as of yesterday my car started having 3 separate issues on the same day which got down to 20 degrees the night before which has been the coldest time of the season so far. The first issue I started having was my car having a misfire on cylinder 4, after that I parked the car and let it sit for about 6 hours while I was at a thanksgiving dinner. On my way back to my house, the car was immediately set in limp mode, I pulled to the side of the road and tried putting the car in park but the shifter wouldn’t go past neutral to get in park. I went ahead and turned off the car and was able to get it into park. After starting back up, limp mode seemed to have been turned off and I was able to make it home. Now, the following morning I tried making my way to an auto shop but couldn’t even make it out of the driveway as the car was set back to limp mode along with the car not wanting to shift back into park while running. I went ahead and used the icarsoft to reset the codes but unfortunately it didn’t seem to work this time around. I finally decided to go and get a new battery for the car, got it installed, went ahead and tried resetting the tcm and p0705 codes again and that still didn’t seem to resolve my issue. Hopefully someone can recommend me some solutions here? Is there a reason why all of these issues are happening within the same day and are they all linked with one another somehow? Which parts should I be looking at fixing and replacing first?
thanks.