C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203/CL203 Car Buyer's Guide - All you want to know and consider

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-04-2003, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4
Yeah I'd give him the E430 also, but I guess if its between the 3 cars you listed then IMO the C320 is the best option. I dont think overall its the best choice, but better than the Jag and certainly the Lexus.

My personal choice would be either a slightly used Audi S4 or a new A4 3.0 quattro.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by Jim Banville
Unless you're made of money, give him the E class you're driving and go ahead and buy the S class
The E has way too many miles on it and it's starting to show it's age. I want him to have something fairly new before he leaves. I would get myself an S500 now, but I have 4 Cadillacs to buy before that point
Old 08-04-2003, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your son is tall, the seats in the Jag are terrible. And the rest of the car isn't that impressive, either.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Son + college + MB = lots of airbags...

At that age, and entering college, I would put him in a milder benz, like a C240, or even a W202. Unless he is the most responsible teenager on earth.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:19 AM

Whynot the C230?
Old 08-05-2003, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My opinion, the used ones, Coupe, would be an '02 which I adore mine, but it would've been a stoning and a very expensive trip for the parents that bought me one of these, then.

I was trying to recommend something less peppy, more responsibility encouraging.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by finalheaven
Whynot the C230?
The 320 with it's 4 doors would be better for him, especially with moving things back and forth from home to school. I'm also not really crazy about the looks of the coupe either.

Originally posted by nukblazi
My opinion, the used ones, Coupe, would be an '02 which I adore mine, but it would've been a stoning and a very expensive trip for the parents that bought me one of these, then.

I was trying to recommend something less peppy, more responsibility encouraging.
He can definately handle 215hp. Right now he doesn't have his own car and drives my Corvette most of the time. The other primary vehicle he drives would be the wife's X5 (4.4). He's actually 20 and will be in his 3rd year of college, but this is the first time he's moving away from the house.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:24 AM

MB C230K
If he's moving lots of stuff, nothing beats the HATCHBACK of the Coupe. I put the seats down, stash the deck lid and have voluminous cargo space!

Also, if he's into sports, it's a great way to carry your gear, such as bikes, skis, backpacks, etc.

I wouldn't want him to pack all his stuff on those fancy leather seats in the C320 - it makes me shudder just thinking about it - whatever you do, don't get the oyster leather!

--Steffen
Old 08-05-2003, 01:37 AM

C230
I'm a college student myself so, here's my take :-) If he's 20 and into his third year, he's probably pretty responsible about driving already, you're right about that point. I don't do stupid stuff while driving anymore.. one bad experience is one too many.

I think you should keep in mind that ultimately even if you're surprising him with the car you decide on, you should try to ask him what he thinks of it before you buy it.

1. I think he should get your E; too many miles maybe, but still, it's a really good car. Just get it checked up by a good mechanic before.

HOWEVER, if you still want to get him a new car, read on:

2. It sounds like you're into reliability (although we all are to some extent) so you should only be considering the Lexus and MB.
3. Don't get the C-Coupe... I would hate driving that (no offence to all you C-Coupe drivers out there). It is a LOT more convienent having 4 doors in college, especially when your friends without cars all pile into your car to go somewhere.
4. For MB, don't get the C320. I feel it's too much money and too much horsepower. You also shouldn't get the C240, as it's somewhat underpowered. Get the C230 k sedan.
5. So now we're basically we're now deciding between the IS300 and C230k sedan. And that can only be settled with a test drive. :-D (Personally I feel the Lexus has much more bang for the buck)

Tell us what you decide on and if he gets a MB, send him to the forum! Good luck, you're being a very generous dad.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by BlueZone
The 320 with it's 4 doors would be better for him, especially with moving things back and forth from home to school. I'm also not really crazy about the looks of the coupe either.
I mean the 4 door c230 sedan. I guess you don't know about it? I would think that would be perfect.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by midas888
2. It sounds like you're into reliability (although we all are to some extent) so you should only be considering the Lexus and MB.
5. So now we're basically we're now deciding between the IS300 and C230k sedan. And that can only be settled with a test drive. :-D (Personally I feel the Lexus has much more bang for the buck)
Um. Mercedes has a lower reliability rating then BMW. JD as well as CR will back me up on this. Mercedes is below the industry average now if im correct. They have gone down a lot. And if you take that into consideration might as well but infiniti in as well. That also has one of the highest reliability rating (japanese). Infiniti G35.

BMW 325/330, Lexus IS300, Acura TSX, Infiniti G35... all of these are prolly in the range of cars you are looking for. All of which has a better reliability rating.

Either ways i think a C230 Sedan is the way to go. I am a college student myself and am thinking about that car.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:24 AM
Guest0001

I am turning 20 soon and i am a sophmore in College and drive a C320

Blue Zone - the C320 is a perfect car for your son. it has a nice powerful V6 and is very comfortable and safe
Old 08-05-2003, 06:25 AM
moomeh

get the c320. i do not like the rest. sure, initial quality will be good, but how about the long run? mb all the way...
Old 08-05-2003, 07:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
He's 20 - let him pick. If you're gonna spoil him, at least give him some input on the decision.

Though I'd pick the Lexus, since reliability should be most important. And of course, a manny.

And don't forget that he'll probably want to get rid of it shortly after college to move on to something else, so depreciation is important. Lexus again.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If hauling a lot of things is important and four doors are important, and saftey is important, get him a C320 wagon.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
DO NOT GET THE X-TYPE IN A STICK SHIFT!

It is horrible...and I mean horrible. I love the car, I was going to buy it before I looked at the Coupe, but I could not live with the stick. If your son wants a stick make sure you test drive one or don't buy it...

Otherwise, IMO the X-Type is the nicest of the three (well loaded that is). Don't forget, stock, the car does not have a moonroof, power seats, etc. I love the all wheel drive system, its great in the snow...and I know this becuase I had an X-Type rental for over 45 days in the past year becuase of severe problems with my S-Type. According to the techs, the X-Type doesn't have the problems that plague my S.

I would take a 3.0 sport X-Type over a 320 anyday.

As for the lexus, its a nice car, but feels cheap IMO.

Erik
Old 08-05-2003, 06:31 PM

I went and picked up the C320 this afternoon. We didn't buy it yet, we're just test driving for the evening. He seems to really like it. The paint is black and initially was my only concern, since it did have a fair amount of swirl marks, but the dealer had the paint worked on and it looks practically brand new now. They're also having 1 of the AMG rims repaired because of a very, very small curb rash incident from the previous owner. He still wants to go check out the X-Type in the morning, but I have a feeling he's going to want to stick with the C320. Thanks for the help.

I did check out a 745Li with 6,400 miles on it while I was there, and I must say, I might be rethinking my S500 decision. That car is beautiful.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
E Class

I say give him the E unless it's a total beater. In what respect is it showing its age, and how many miles are on it?

Just as a point of reference, my 1989 Peugeot has 200,000 miles on it and is just fine, thank you very much. Original paint, original engine, original gearbox, original clutch. Broke down once when the ignition coil failed at 170,000 miles. I've changed the brake pads a few times and the 4 discs once, oh, and the alternator. Nothing else worth mentioning. It will see the better side of 300,000 miles with no major work, I'm pretty sure of it.

So, once again, exactly how many miles are on your E and what's wrong with it? I surely hope it's at least as good my newer French car, because it cost four times as much... My older French car is even better, but that's another story

Our 2002 Benz broke down (no start) when it was 7 months old. Hmmmm

BTW, how can you possibly think that a 4 door sedan is any better for moving stuff around than a hatchback? A C 230 K would be a smarter choice IMO. Don't get the V-6 though.

Don't buy the Bangle-mobile either. There are major warranty claims on these things and an abnormally high number of buy-backs on the market. Oh, and let's talk about the ridiculous and obtuse I-Drive system, where it takes three or four menu levels to do what was once do-able with a flick of a dedicated switch. Progress? Nope, computer geeks run amok. The 7er is a dog, and the **** end is hideous, making the C 230 K rump look like that of a svelte young woman.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:15 PM

Re: E Class

Originally posted by Mike T.
I say give him the E unless it's a total beater. In what respect is it showing its age, and how many miles are on it?

Just as a point of reference, my 1989 Peugeot has 200,000 miles on it and is just fine, thank you very much. Original paint, original engine, original gearbox, original clutch. Broke down once when the ignition coil failed at 170,000 miles. I've changed the brake pads a few times and the 4 discs once, oh, and the alternator. Nothing else worth mentioning. It will see the better side of 300,000 miles with no major work, I'm pretty sure of it.

So, once again, exactly how many miles are on your E and what's wrong with it? I surely hope it's at least as good my newer French car, because it cost four times as much... My older French car is even better, but that's another story

Our 2002 Benz broke down (no start) when it was 7 months old. Hmmmm

BTW, how can you possibly think that a 4 door sedan is any better for moving stuff around than a hatchback? A C 230 K would be a smarter choice IMO. Don't get the V-6 though.

Don't buy the Bangle-mobile either. There are major warranty claims on these things and an abnormally high number of buy-backs on the market. Oh, and let's talk about the ridiculous and obtuse I-Drive system, where it takes three or four menu levels to do what was once do-able with a flick of a dedicated switch. Progress? Nope, computer geeks run amok. The 7er is a dog, and the **** end is hideous, making the C 230 K rump look like that of a svelte young woman.
I have to have the E until I can justify buying myself a new car this spring, and my son can't go without a vehicle. Between now and that point I have to purchase 2 Cadillac Deville sedans, a Deville limo, and a Deville Hearse. Buying yet another expensive vehicle this winter isn't very realistic for me. The E has got 119,000 miles on it and it's just starting to show it's age. Nothing major other than normal wear and tear, but I think it's time for a new one.

I have 2 things against the coupe. Number one being that 4 doors will be easier to haul people around, number two being that I really don't like the overall look of the vehicle. C320 it is, if he chooses the MB.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:20 PM

2005 Porsche Boxster 987
you guys are who want him to get the old e class are being party poopers.

let him have the new car experience his dad wants him too so stop hating
Old 08-05-2003, 10:25 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by kimchiFLAVA

Old 08-05-2003, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Originally posted by kimchiFLAVA

Oh yeah it would really suck for a 19 year old to have an E430.

If my dad gave me one I'd definately denounce him as a party pooper and ask for a new car instead.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:51 PM

Don’t buy the X type its junk it is one of the worst cars ever made. It is very unreliable. Its based on a Ford conture.
Now as far as what you should buy your son how about this why don’t you let him make the decision? My dad bought me my first car in high school without asking me and I hated it. I wanted a sports car he got me a sport utility. Buy a car that he will enjoy driving.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:58 PM

Between a used E430 with 119k+ miles on it and a new G35 guess which one ill take.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Xpeed
Don’t buy the X type its junk it is one of the worst cars ever made. It is very unreliable. Its based on a Ford conture.
Now as far as what you should buy your son how about this why don’t you let him make the decision? My dad bought me my first car in high school without asking me and I hated it. I wanted a sports car he got me a sport utility. Buy a car that he will enjoy driving.
Not to sound like an old fart (even though I really am) but if I buy my son a practically new Mercedes Benz and it's not good enough for him, he can march his happy *** out of my house and start living on his own.

We've talked about it in the past and this is the type of vehicle he wants, but he wasn't aware that I was going to actually buy one. But now with him moving out, and the fact that his townhouse will have a garage so it won't just be getting beat up in a college parking lot, I think it's time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 Car Buyer's Guide - All you want to know and consider