C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203/CL203 Car Buyer's Guide - All you want to know and consider

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
I am starting to hear some of the same things we tell potential Audi owners over at the Audi forums.

I am advising my wife that if she does not get extended warranty with the c230, be prepared to sell the car right at around the time when the warranty expires. As long as MB will take care of my wife and her car well within the warranty, I think it is fair to expect little problems here and there.

Now, about the service A/B. Those are pretty expensive, what do they cover and are they necessary (both in terms of keeping the car in good shape and for the warranty)?

Thanks for the responses so far, you guys have a good forum.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
With German cars (Audi/BMW/MB), you'll see owners who have had no issues and others who have had nothing but issues. If you look at all three brands various forums, you'll see what I mean. There are people here who have had issues and others who have not. Same on the Audi and BMW side. Some brands might have less issues than other brands.

My '05 A4 has been fine aside from regular maintenance and a recall taken care of, 40k miles so far.

MB powertrain (engines and tranny) are pretty reliable in terms in engineering and such. Those parts generally won't give you problems. It's the electronics that'll get you (as with any German car).

Generally, the A/B services are oil changes and "glorified" oil changes (check fluids, tires, etc).
Old 07-18-2006, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by patrick_y
I acquired my C230 Kompressor in January of 2005.

Let me put you on track, Mercedes-Benz engines and transmissions are considered to be some of the most reliable in the industry. So if you're thinking that the older "Kompressor" cars are not reliable, then you are likely mistaken.

However, Mercedes-Benz vehicles are not at the pinnacle of INITIAL Quality (as determined by JD Power & Associates). This means, initially, within the first year, there may be some problems, programming errors if you will.

Mercedes-Benz cars are highly complex and consequently, sometimes, computer components fail. While these very rarely leave you stranded on the road, they will sometimes require you to make a stop at the dealership for warranty repair at your earliest convenience.

An example would be; it's a nice sunny day, you're driving on the road, and all of a sudden, the car computer beeps, "Malfunction, ESP Dead, Visit Workshop", "Malfunction, ABS, Visit Workshop", "Malfunction, EBD, Visit Workshop". So, the next day, you visit the dealer, and they find out, some sort of switch is broken. They fix it, and you get a loaner car in the meanwhile.

Servicing the car;
Service A - $300 (I recommend every 10k miles, but Mercedes says 13k miles)
Service B - $450 (I recommend every 10k miles, but Mercedes says 13k miles)
Brake job; pads, rotors, front and rear - $1000 (depends on how much you use the brakes, anywhere from 20k miles to 50k miles)
Tires $600-1000 (20k miles give or take, the rears wear out a bit faster)

Major service at 60k miles $1500

Major Service at 100k miles $2000

Total cost to maintain with gasoline at $3.499/Gallon; approximately $0.30 a mile.

They say if you have to ask about the maintenance, then that means you won't be able to afford it. I disagree, since if you think about it, compared to some other cars, it's not that bad.

Oh, Lexus IS250. I think it's a great little car. I felt there was nothing wrong with it at all. Since in January of 2005, the car wasn't out yet, I was unable to consider it, but had it been out, I would've very likely acquired that car instead. The Lexus IS250 is smaller in the rear seats. Personally, I think the BMW 325i is the best car in this segment.

Point is, you're not going to get failures from the engine, so don't worry if it's a Kompressor engine or not. Cars these days, usually it's the transmission will go bad first, and I don't think Mercedes are an exception (the car's transmission will likely last 150k miles easily however).

It's a fairly reliable little car. But, it does have these tiny problems. I always tell people, European cars rarely have large problems like engine/transmission issues. However, they often have small electronic problems that are still annoying and fairly costly to fix.
Well said Patrick. I couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by anthuny85
i jus recently went to a fully modded civic coupe to a white c230 sport v6 as well, let me tell you that first off ill never drive anything less than a european car prolly ever again, second the car is lovely inside and out and i have tasteful plans for it, third the only gripe i have is the gas and cost of it, but then again its a mercedes and its a v6, compared to a 1.6 4cyl, you have to expect it. Hope she goes for the mercedes, ther solid and very luxury/sporty all in one, u cant ask for much more.
Haha, I went from a fully modded Accord sedan to my C230 SS.....
Funny how a lot of people here went from Honda's to Merc's....but yeah once you go Euro............there's no turning back!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by anthuny85
i jus recently went to a fully modded civic coupe to a white c230 sport v6 as well, let me tell you that first off ill never drive anything less than a european car prolly ever again, second the car is lovely inside and out and i have tasteful plans for it, third the only gripe i have is the gas and cost of it, but then again its a mercedes and its a v6, compared to a 1.6 4cyl, you have to expect it. Hope she goes for the mercedes, ther solid and very luxury/sporty all in one, u cant ask for much more.
Haha, I went from a fully modded Accord sedan to my C230 SS.....
Funny how a lot of people here went from Honda's to Merc's....but yeah once you go Euro............there's no turning back! Now all I gotta do is save up for a new 997TT....
Old 07-19-2006, 03:45 AM

Is @ Home
i went from a toyota to a mercedes. the thing i missed was the gas efficiency and the maintenance fees. it may cost more but sometimes you gotta spoil yourself, in your case your wife. i'm sure she'll appreciate it

patrick_y - i'm new to the mercedes world but is the 60k mile service for 1500 true? i thought it was only service a and b only.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by Tangerine
i went from a toyota to a mercedes. the thing i missed was the gas efficiency and the maintenance fees. it may cost more but sometimes you gotta spoil yourself, in your case your wife. i'm sure she'll appreciate it

patrick_y - i'm new to the mercedes world but is the 60k mile service for 1500 true? i thought it was only service a and b only.
I'll say this, and I'm not trying to sound smug; while this is my first car, I was seriously considering a 2005 Volvo S40 in AWD, until it came to the brake pedal which was unbearable.

Yes, once you go German, there's only one thing that can match it or beat it, Italian RWD cars. But those are even more expensive to maintain.

Here, at my dealership, the 60k mile service is really $1500. I think you can haggle on the price a bit. I'll expect some sort of discount. But it's a very thorough service. Every fluid is drained, pumped, bleeded, and replaced with new fluids. Even the Automatic Transmission fluid (they say that it will last the lifetime of the car, but when it comes out at 60k miles, you can do a heat test and you'll discover that the fluid no longer has the right viscosity and lubrication qualities anymore) is replaced and refilled.

At the 100k mile range, the service is usually around $2000. Same as the 60k mile service, just with even more things replaced, spark plugs, ignition coils, etc. I'm not sure if ignition coils are replaced at the 60k mile service.

Yup, these cars are expensive to maintain. But I want to throw this in there...

A Maserati...

Service A Oil Change, fluid change, every 6000 miles; $500
Service B Oil Change, fluid change, and timing belt, every 6000 miles; $1000
Alternate between A and B, or only do B if your car sees about 6000 miles/year.

Every 30k miles, $6k service job, complete overhaul, new spark plugs, new fluids, etc.

Ferrari is even more.

I've made some calculations (I love making a science of everything), with tires, gasoline (at $3.499/G), routine maintenance, and brakes, it costs me $0.30/mile to drive this C230 car. Then add insurance and vehicular depreciation.

This estimate is also optimistic, since it forecasts that I only change the brake rotors every other time pads are changed and the brakes last as long as I hope them to, the tires only cost me $600 a set, and service prices are static for the time being. It can easily be more than $0.30 a mile.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:05 PM

2002 Toyota Sequoia, 2007 C230 SS
Smile Just a question in relation to some comment here

Hi friends,
I am one of the few waiting for their car to be delivered, as I am reading through this thread, I found people saying if you drive a German car, you wouldn't want to drive anything else, some of my friends tell me that too, I don't know if some just say that to brag that they can afford a much expensive car.
Anyway what is the difference that you can tell when you have driven a german car compared to other, please list down some stuff and first impressions when you first drove a german car compared to others.
Thank you and hope to hear your replies.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by gary-dragon
Hi friends,
I am one of the few waiting for their car to be delivered, as I am reading through this thread, I found people saying if you drive a German car, you wouldn't want to drive anything else, some of my friends tell me that too, I don't know if some just say that to brag that they can afford a much expensive car.
Anyway what is the difference that you can tell when you have driven a german car compared to other, please list down some stuff and first impressions when you first drove a german car compared to others.
Thank you and hope to hear your replies.
For me (may or may not apply to others):
Interior materials/execution
Solid feeling (closing of doors, etc)
Planted to the ground while driving at higher speeds, no "floating" feeling
Quietness of cabin while on road

some of the things for me
Old 08-11-2006, 12:24 AM

not a mercedes right now
Thumbs up Thinking about buying a 2002 c230K coupe

Hi all,

I am thinking about buying a 2002 C230k coupe and I need a couple of questions answered.

First of all, what is included in each option: ie C1, C2, C4, C5

What should I look for - I would like to buy CPO, however, they seem to be a little more expensive, and the free maintanence would run out this year ie 4yrs 50k miles. Would you buy an extended warranty??

Would it be better to buy the car with Comand (which is difficult to find) or just buy it from Steve and have him install. I am not quite sure what the prices is from him. I was looking at the european version, not the US one.

I had the 2003 c230, however, that was a disaster from day one. Kept going out on me, the manual shifter in the automatic wasn't hooked up. Airbag kept telling me it wasn't working, etc. It was a nice car, but I had less trouble with my Saturn and paid less money for it.

Now, I am looking to get back into this again, but am running into the fact that there just aren't a heck of alot of them around here. And I definitely want the 02 - the power in my opinion is better..

Also, do you guys put premium in or midgrade??

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Laura
Old 08-11-2006, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
C1 ($1250) Power Front Seats with Memory, Power Steering Column.
C2 ($1215) Rain Sensor, Panorama Sunroof, Auto Dimmng Mirrors.
C4 ($750) Bi-Xenon Headlamps and Heated Headlamp Washers.
C5 ($2750) Panorama Sunroof, Bose Sound System, Leather Upholstery, Rain Sensor, Auto Dimming Mirrors.

ask steve to install your command. would be easier for you.

btw. welcome
Old 08-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Banned

If you had problems with a 2003, expect a few more with a 2002 unless they were all repaired under warranty already.

For a daily driver that won't be modded for performance I'd stick with a late 2003 and up, even early 2003s had a few issues.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:20 AM

not a mercedes right now
What Should I Look For

Well, I may be modding it. I modded the heck out of my Saturn Vue, but that was much less expensive!

I just like the power of the 2002 - Even my hubby stated the 2003 didn't seem to have the power of the 2002.

Saying that, what would be the advantage of buying CPO over not CPO? Especially if the standard warranty is almost up?

Would you guys buy a warranty for a used car, knowing how expensive they are to fix, or just take it to a MB shop (not a dealer).

And, gas.... Any problem with using midgrade instead of premium??

Thanks alot for your help.. I am trying to narrow it down...

Thanks
Old 08-11-2006, 10:26 AM

C320 Coupe
all mercedes are required to use premium gas, you don't want to screw urself over by putting midgrade gas and end up repair with thousands of dollars.

If you want more power, why not get a C320 instead? im driving C320 and i think the power is enough.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally Posted by C230SportsCoupe
If you had problems with a 2003, expect a few more with a 2002 unless they were all repaired under warranty already.

For a daily driver that won't be modded for performance I'd stick with a late 2003 and up, even early 2003s had a few issues.
I'd do the opposite; the performance improvement in the '02 is worth any additional possibility of a breakdown. Besides, that engine has proven pretty bulletproof over the years - the main problem is electrical, and that's true of the entire W203 range.

And if you're modding it, even more reason to go with an 02. Besides, add pulley to c230, you get the hp of the 320 with less weight. Win-win. Good luck with the purchase.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by tommy
I'd do the opposite; the performance improvement in the '02 is worth any additional possibility of a breakdown. Besides, that engine has proven pretty bulletproof over the years - the main problem is electrical, and that's true of the entire W203 range.

And if you're modding it, even more reason to go with an 02. Besides, add pulley to c230, you get the hp of the 320 with less weight. Win-win. Good luck with the purchase.
Im in agreement. However, if you are wanting to put midgrade gas in this car, then maybe you shouldn't get it. No offense, but the higher octane is needed for the power that you are looking for. If you want good gas mileage, keep the car in tune, and keep the revs below 3,000 rpm.

You can easily pulley a 02 C230 to get about another 25 horse. Add a K&N filter, and you are likely to get an extra 30 total.

Ed

PS Advans, I like you new sig much better.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't understand why some people are cheaping out on premium, it's never been so cheap as it is now. Think about it, 10 years ago, gas was about $1.50/gal and premium was 20 cents higher and now it's $3.50/gal and still only 20 cents higher, the percentage in costs between regular and premium is tiny compared to 10 year ago. Also, you will lose significant power, so why do performance mods if you are going to lose power. Putting a pulley kit with lower octane fuel is very risky, the car is already running borderline too lean.

I enjoyed my 2002 C-coupe, specially with a pulley kit. Fuel mileage is about 2mpg less than my 2004. They were poorly built but many of the kinks have already been worked out by the previous owner. No MB can ever be as reliable as most American cars, it's just the way it is, doesn't mean we don't enjoy them, just have to deal with it. Look at this year's long term dependability survey from JD Powers, the top most reliable brands were 2 Japanese and 3 American, no Euro cars but euro cars and japanese showed up in the 5 least reliable brands, no American brands. You want a fast fun reliable car that's easily moddable, get a Mustang GT, 300HP before you even turn a wrench and lots of cool body kits and engine mods.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:54 PM

not a mercedes right now
thinking about buying a 2002 c230k

Actually, I was hanging around these forums back in 2002 and several people had suggested that midgrade didn't harm the engine. So, I just wanted to know if it was true. I have no prob putting in Premium, but just looking for people's opinions...

As for the pulley, can you do that in an automatic? Does it make that much more of a difference?

And for my final question that no one has answered yet: what is the difference of buying Certified from a MB dealer and just buying from the Mitsubishi dealer down the street that just happens to have a c230?
Any particular MB dealers you would stay away from (ie Fletcher Jones).

I happen to like MB Laguna Niguel, but I live in Seal Beach, so that is kind of a drive for me. We do have Mercedes Benz of Long Beach, but I guess I will have to check it out..

Thanks,

Laura
Old 08-11-2006, 05:58 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by Mercedesgoddess
And for my final question that no one has answered yet: what is the difference of buying Certified from a MB dealer and just buying from the Mitsubishi dealer down the street that just happens to have a c230?
I bought my '02 C230 in January of 2005 from an independant used car dealer. They offered an aftermarket warranty which covered my car for 100,000 miles from the date of purchase (car had 47,000 miles, so warranty is good until 147,000).

I have used this warranty at my local MB dealer without much issue. My service tech has worked with them before. Or, more precisely, my service tech has worked with the local appraiser that my warranty company uses.

However, the aftermarket warranty company does apply some common sense that I can't argue with. When I had my rear differential replaced at about 75,000 miles, the appraiser and service tech both agreed that the internals were shattered and the part failed prematurely (not due for 1st inspection until 100,000 miles). However, rather than cough up the $1450 the MB dealer wanted for a rebuilt diff, the warranty company checked the value of a used differential which would fit, and they would only cover that amount ($480). I located a used differential for that amount and had it shipped to the dealer, who installed it despite it not being their part.

Legwork like this may make an aftermarket warranty sound bad, but honestly, I'd rather know they don't charge me the difference between an intelligent repair and an exorbitant one. I can't speak for buying at the dealership, but I can say I was happy with the value I got buying my car from an independant used dealer.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Great choice. The 2002 C230 is the best deal from a cost/performance standpoint. The 2005 cars were the best all around, but came with the less enjoyeable 1.8L engine. I'd take the M111 engine over all the other C-Class engines, save 3.5L six in the C350, and of course the AMG versions. Despite its grumbly sounds cold, and just off throttle, its plenty quiet and very grunty. The sound the supercharger makes is very intoxicating.

Things to ask about:

Keys- these things have a lifetime that can be measured in months. I'm on key 4.

Steering wheel buttons. They all cracked initially. Even the replacements did for awhile.

Sway bar bushings- they made a clunking noise afte about 20K...new design fixes the problem.

Transmission- obviously, avoid the automatic- granted, its better than that dreadful 7G in use now, but all automatics are bad. Some of the early manuals shift awful...try before you buy. Mine's pretty good.

Glass Roof/sunshade- its a fussy bit...make sure its been well cared for and that the shade works properly.

The rear diff. The gears in the rear diff are suspect. Several people have blown rear differentials. All 2002's as far as know. Have the diff inspected, and listen for noise off throttle between 30 and 50mph.

Yeah, there's some electrical gremlins on early cars...but most of that should be sorted by now. Otherwise, its pretty solid car.

You MUST get a car with C7. C5 is pretty damn desirable as well. You can refit the Bix lights, and just about any other goodies you want. Silver and white seem to wear the best, but I think the car looks best in black...but what a ***** to keep clean and scratch free.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Thinking of buying a C240 2001, is it reliable?

45,000 miles, black, elegance line.
Is this car reliable?

I have an ML 320 1998 , Im ok with it but has had a few issues.
Is the C 240 more reliable?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 PM

Cool Buying a C230 Sport; Dillema...

Watsup everybody, newguy here. anyways lets skip the formalities and cut to the chase: I'm buying an '07 C230 sport, but cant decide on which options to get. I absolutely love the look of the HID headlights, and was deadset on the lighting package, but the only problem is the only black 230 with HID's left is an automatic, and has leather and other things i dont really need. My question: all of you have much more experience with these cars than a simple test-drive, how do you like your automatics and 6 speeds? Also, what are the best options on this car and what is a waste of money? Thanks for your help!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
WAIT TILL 2008! LOL!
And I'd get the leather over the lighting package, because you can upgrade the headlights much easier than the interior down the road.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
First, welcome to the forum!

I can offer my .02 since I just bought my 07 by ordering it from the factory because I couldn't find the exact options I wanted.

Most options really are a matter of what is important TO YOU and how much you want to spend.

But, with that said, I would say definitely get the lighting package. The Xenon's are truly amazing. The regular halogens don't even hold a candle to them. Plus, it is a $700 option and will cost you over twice that to add them latter, if you include the cost of the headlight washers as well.

As far as leather, that was really hard for me to choose, until I researched it a little further. I came to the conclusion that since I plan to keep the car for a long time, I chosed MB Tex over the leather, as the MB Tex is much more durable and requires less maintenance. If I were to lease one or keep it short term, I would get the leather. So far I really like the MB Tex.

Automatic or 6 speed. Well, that really depends on your driving conditions. For me, it was the 7G automatic hands down. I drive almost 100 miles a day round trip in rush hour, and a manual just would not be practical or enjoyable. So far I really like the 7G automatic. It really keeps the engine in the powerband, does beautiful downshifts, and can be driven manually if needed. My only gripe about it, is it tend to be "busy" and in Comfort mode, I feel it lugs the engine a little too much.

The other options I chose and my thoughts on them:
  1. Diamond Black Metallic Paint - Worth every penny, the color is unreal. It is a real conversation piece.
  2. Sunroof Package - Sunroof is great and includes quite a few other useful goodies
  3. Heated Seats - I love them!
  4. Power Drivers seat and steering column - For me it was mostly for memory since my wife drives the car also, but the easy exit feature with it is very useful for me.
  5. Ipod Integration - If you have an Ipod, it is nice. Except mine isn't working right. Have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
100% without a doubt get the bi-xenons. Sooner than later, the bi-xenons will no longer be available through Steve (MBenzNL - you'll find out who he is later on). The w203 is phasing out, so accesability of these OEM parts will not be as easy to come by later on.

Now, as far as options that are worth it to have on the car from factory:

- 319 Lighting Package
- 324 Sunroof Package
- Split folding rear seats
- Power Driver's seat and Steering Column Memory
- Heated Front Seats
- Illuminated Door Sills

Options that can be easily after the fact:

- UHI/Phone
- IPod Integration
- Comand (or aftermarket Nav has been proven to be done now)
- Parktronic Sensors

After piecing together a 230 right now, I just realized how much cheaper the car is after they dropped free service! Damn, the car I put together had way more options than my car right now and the sticker price was way less than my sticker price!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 Car Buyer's Guide - All you want to know and consider