C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Observations after 800 km.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB coupe.
Observations after 800 km.

Great car! Tight, responsive, got a wonderful conected to the road feel.

Didn't think I would like the cruise control on a stalk. I've always like the cruise on the steering wheel, but I quickly got used to the new location and it is fine.

Don't mind the window switch location, I know it bothers some on this board.

What's with the seat back adjustment in such an awkward location? This could have been done better.

Still breaking it in, but power seems about what I expected. Much more mid-range torque than my previous fast revving Prelude.

Brake dust on the front wheels sure seems to arrive in a hurry.

The car gets a lot of looks, and a lot of comments.

Having fun....Smoky
Old 05-15-2002, 01:46 PM
BANNED FOR VIOLATING TOU

C230k
Give mintex brake pads a try. Same brake performance but much less brake dust.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230K, 2001 Audi TT 225 Coupe
Brake Dust . . choke . . .

A lot of people I know have converted to Porterfield pads, your call. Until the pads wear down, try P21S Gel at www.autofanatics.com even though the price is a couple of $$$ on the high side.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I agree.

Didn't think I would like the cruise control on a stalk. I've always like the cruise on the steering wheel, but I quickly got used to the new location and it is fine.
I'm still getting used to this (I don't get to use the cruise much). I usually end up turning up the radio when I really want to Accel...

Don't mind the window switch location
I don't either. I think it's in the perfect location. I hate other cars where I've accidently hit the switches with my elbow.

What's with the seat back adjustment in such an awkward location? This could have been done better.
This is the secondary reason I got the C1 option. Expensive, but worth every penny if you share the car.

power seems about what I expected
I agree.

Brake dust on the front wheels sure seems to arrive in a hurry
Yes it does. I'm thinking of powder coating the wheels black or dark grey.

The car gets a lot of looks, and a lot of comments.
Not mine. In fact I had almost been run off the road a few times before I enabled the daytime running lights. I got one "thumbs-up" from a guy on a motorcycle and a wave from one other "couper". No matter, I don't like the attention anyway.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: Observations after 800 km.

Originally posted by Smoky
I concur 100%; I get a good "part of the car" feeling from the C230K.

Don't mind the window switch location, I know it bothers some on this board.
I don't mind it either - but I have big long ape arms.

Cheers, BT
Old 05-15-2002, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dust on the wheels is a problem until you switch pads. I have the Porterfield and they produce the same dust in the front as the stock pads do in the rear. Mintex, Pagid and EBC also make pads for the W203. The Mintex and Pagid are the cheapest at under $50. The EBC is about $90 and the Porterfied are $179 (Geoff at www.Speedtoys.com can get them for about $135). Pagid is the favored brand pad of Brembo. I can only comment on the performance of the Porterfield. They stop a little better than stock when warmed up. Mine squeal moderately.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:16 PM

MB coupe.
I'll live with the brake dust, I wash the car frequently, and it isn't a problem. but how come my Prelude left hardly any brake dust?

I think it is a German thing, like the firmness of the seats.

Smoky
Old 05-15-2002, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll live with the brake dust, I wash the car frequently, and it isn't a problem. but how come my Prelude left hardly any brake dust?

I think it is a German thing, like the firmness of the seats.

Smoky
I have read that the German government mandates the pad compounds to be used on cars sold in Germany. Since it is cheaper to use the same specs for all the cars they make, we get the German pads, and a lot of brake dust.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wash the car frequently, and it isn't a problem.

Smoky
I don't think you can wash the car enough. My wheels looked pretty bad after 2 days. The twice a week wash wasn't enough to keep up with the dust. Another way to solve it is to get the wheels powdercoated flat charcoal gray.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:05 PM

2002 CL500
Originally posted by avlis
Not mine. In fact I had almost been run off the road a few times before I enabled the daytime running lights. I got one "thumbs-up" from a guy on a motorcycle and a wave from one other "couper". No matter, I don't like the attention anyway. [/B]
I guess that depends on where you live
The car gets head-turns and some ppl try to race me...
Old 05-15-2002, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
My Porterfield pads only squealed a little bit a couple times and not at all after about 500 miles. Recently did some very twisty mountain touring and they worked great, not a hint of fade despite lots of 20 mph switchbacks for miles. I put them on for dust reduction and the performance is a plus. Also, the C320 never lacked for power in the twisties and handled excellently.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:09 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Originally posted by mleskovar
My Porterfield pads only squealed a little bit a couple times and not at all after about 500 miles. Recently did some very twisty mountain touring and they worked great, not a hint of fade despite lots of 20 mph switchbacks for miles. I put them on for dust reduction and the performance is a plus. Also, the C320 never lacked for power in the twisties and handled excellently.
How would you compare the dust accumulation pre and post Porterfield?
Old 05-16-2002, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
I have chrome rims so the dust is VERY noticeable. With the stock pads I was constantly cleaning the front rims. With the Porterfields I now get slightly less
on the front rims than I used to get on the back rims with the MB pads. The back rims now don't need attention until the car is cleaned. If you use Klasse or a similar acrylic polish on the chrome then all you need is a damp cloth to wipe them down. No soap or cleaners. I apply the chrome cleaner/protectant about once a month is all and damp cloth in between.