C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Anyone actually DIY install the Benz CD changer in W203?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Anyone actually DIY install the Benz CD changer in W203?

I've read most of the threads I can find on this subject, and the page at http://www.stormpages.com/arialis/mb/changer/index.html (which is way too brief and relies on cyprtic language like "locks" - wtf is a "lock" in the context of removing the center console?!), but I still have lots of questions! Can someone take me through a step by step procedure for the install? I'm putting mine in a '02 C240. I have read so many different opinions that I'm totally confused. Some say the optic cable is in there (the installers at the place I bought it from [on the web] say it is) while others say I must buy it. I've read where some people do it in 15 minutes where others say it will take several hours. On the chance that the cable was in the area somewhere around where the glovebox is mounted, I started to remove the glovebox. Well, I got it 90% loose but found that it is somehow connected to the trim piece on the left side of the door. Rather than destroy parts of my brand new $33K car, I reassembled the glovebox and decided descretion was the beter part of valor. Please help! I'm fairly good at doing these sort of things, but I need more specific instructions.

thanks
Jim
Old 05-15-2002, 09:44 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i didn't actually but i had a tech guy came to my house and installed it for me as i watch him.

the prewire is behind the center console.

first you will have to remove the whole center air vents not just the vents it self. you will find two screws that attach to the aluminum trim or the wood trim depends on your car.

second lose the screws the top part of the center console will get lose. the bottom part you will have to open the ash tray and on the bottom of the upper center console (just below the HVAC control) there are two clips (not very visible, but it's there). unclip those. you will need the flat screw driver to do so.

third remove the center console. unplug what ever you need to unplug to get to the prewire(to do so you also have to pull out the head stereo unit the prewire is behind the head unit). you will need to buy another fiberoptic wire. make sure you remember which wire goes where.

fourth get those opitc wires through the opening in the back or the upper glove box and plug it in to test it before you put everything back in its place.

fifth make sure all the wire are back in its place and mount everythign back on.

BTW the guy did my CD changer for total of 600 dollars with all the factory parts. The shop that did the job is called "international auto dealer" (no it's not a dealership. it's just a shop) i don't have their number right now but if you want i can get you the number by the weekend because i'm not home.

but it might help you if you are in LA

if you have all the manuals to tell you where to plug in what you will be fine.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Thanks FrankW! When you say the "prewire" is behind the radio, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that the power/ground cable for the changer is bundled up there and only need to be pulled out and fished through the hole in the glovebox? To pull the radio out do I need any special tools? Do all the screws use the same size torx head screwdriver? How long is the optical cable? Do you simply plug it up to the radio and changer? Unfortunately I have no manuals whatsover other than the webpage I referred to earlier So, once I remove the 2 screws I see at the bottom outside corners of the center air vent, I just pull the whole assembly straight out, right? Exactly how do I unclip the clips with the screwdriver? Push up? Push down? Twist? The place I bought my changer from, www.autotoys.com, doesn't even sell an optic cable. They swear it's in there already! I'm debating to use velcro or the $45 bracket to secure it.

thanks
Jim
Old 05-16-2002, 01:28 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
yes, that's what i'm saying.

there are only few screws and they are all the same i believe. after you get the aluminum trim off you will see if you need to unscrews the head unit or not (can't remember about that part). i'm not sure what kind of clip mech it use but it is metal. i guess you'll have to use a flash light to find out to see the clips you have to open the ash tray and look through the opening where the cover goes in. the tech brought both the cable and the CD changer over. the optical cable is not too long though...about 1-2 ft. all you have to do if you have all the right parts just plug it in. you only can pull it out after you unclip the bottom clip.

i'll try to find out more about the clip...

for the optical cable you might want to swing by a MB dealer to order one. i don't think the electronic store would have the one MB uses. from what i heard the system they use have some kind of encryption for the fiber optic cable.

Last edited by FrankW; 05-16-2002 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 Wagon - Black C2 - v60 Phone and CD-Changer
I did the install myself, but had to bring it in to the shop to get the CD Changer (CDC) node added to the D2B bus. I was having the shop install the v.60 phone at the same time which also required adding a node to the bus, so they did it for free.

The most dificult part for me was pulling up on the console trim (around the shifter) so that I could get the ashtray mechanism out. It required more effort than I really wanted to apply...came right up though. Selecting the right FO cable is important as the connectors are different for the bose system. The other tricky part was finding the power wire it took a lot of searching and it is not the one connected to the climate control assembly.

I hope you've seen that you don't have to remove the glove compartment. There is a perferated tab on the left side of the upper shelf. Also make sure you line up the screw whole of the bracket. It is pree drilled, but very close to another screw.

Hope it works out!
Old 05-16-2002, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A reply to Jim's questions posted at benzsport.com:

http://www.benzsport.com/cgi-bin/ult...counterhit=yes