C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Power Folding Mirrors / Park Assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 12:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor Sedan, 2003 CLK55 AMG, 2021 GLC300
Power Folding Mirrors / Park Assist

Vehicle 2005 C230K

So let's begin I've been researching and reading the threads here over 100Xs on both Power Folding Mirrors and Reverse Park Assist. After months of researching and asking around to buy the parts new it was going to cost me $1,200 USD roughly. Since I was going to purchase the power folding mirrors I decided it to be best to buy the whole assembly so I can also have the park assist feature, kill 2 birds with one stone I was going to be removing the door panels anyway...

I bought one mirror at time from ebay.de just to make sure I didn't buy 2 wrong items... it is very tricky the first attempt the seller sent me a W211 which would've worked if I decided to paint the mirror cover the color of my car in order to use the mirror frame the w211 has the additional puddle light on the bottom of the cover. The frame bolted right up but I decided I did not want the extra puddle light and work of sanding and painting a new cover. I was attempting to find a mirror with harness for facelift model.

Attempt #2 I found a full assembled mirror with a convex glass and it was facelift! I pulled the trigger and ordered it and when I received it it was great shape! I used everything but the mirror cover and the convex glass is fantastic not sure how people drive without it. After installing and making sure everything worked with only one mirror ( passenger side ) I attempted to do the Reverse Park assist... I followed the directions on this DIY https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...rking-aid.html but it did not work... I had a Fault code in Xentry for Memory Seat "short circuit" so I scratched my head and ask @BenzNinja for some assistance.

We came to the idea that the door module had the wrong Hardware on the module I had installed all though the correct part number had a different hardware number the one listed on the DIY section is 46/02, the one I had installed was 15/02. Ordered the correct module with HW 46/02.

The driver side mirror came in and I installed it tested it with Xentry and motor works fold in and out great. I got it from the same seller as the passenger as he gave me a discount. I probably could've saved more if I had them shipped together, but I im still under $600 USD for both mirrors, door modules and the convex glass with an extra mirror housing that I might do a carbon fiber overlay in the future...

After everything is installed and checked to be working properly I attempted to activate park assist again and still no luck! The fault code reappeared so now I am scratching my head even more...

I pulled up the VIN for the mirrors that I purchased and they are "non-memory" power folding mirrors, I've came to the conclusion that the culprit is going to be the wiring harness, given that it is the correct door module (2038201485) and mirror motor ( A2038202442). After looking at the photos of the wiring from the DIY and my current harness there appears to be some missing wires on the #2 slot into the door module. The issue now is that the wires going into the #2 slot of the are those of the power folding mirror motor so in purchasing a harness from the a vehicle here in the US I am afraid that I am going to lose the power folding mirror functionality.

My best bet would to look for a vehicle in EU with power folding mirrors that has memory seats use that VIN to pull the harness part number and hopefully resolve the issue.

I'll update the thread as soon as I come across anymore progress. Also as of right now the mirrors do not fold in or out while I lock or unlock could be that I am missing the switch ( which is currently on its way from EU)

If anyone has any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by jggarcia.vc; 01-20-2022 at 12:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KevinH2000 (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 08:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
you have confused everyone with your faulty diagnostic HS------first check via your VIN in EPC for your options code aka SA then do a short test and get the correct modules for your options
Old 01-20-2022, 11:46 AM

***EDIT

Just caught my mistake I probably need new glasses... the motor is 2242 and i have 2442 in addition to the harness...

Hi Plutoe,

I am doing a retrofit so my VIN is pointless as my vehicle did not come with Memory Seats nor did it come with Power Folding Mirrors ( not a NA option )

I followed the park assist DIY for vehicles with non memory option from factory as listed in my original post and as I mentioned because I bought the power folding mirrors from a non-memory vehicle in Germany I am assuming the wiring harness is to blame. I"ll update this post once I get a VIN from a C class with both memory and powerfolding mirrors so I can look at the EPC.

Last edited by jggarcia.vc; 01-20-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:45 PM

Received 131 Likes on 122 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
This is an intriguing project. I don't have a step-by-step solution to your issue with the mirror memory, but I think you are correct that it is a wiring issue.

Take a look at the first photo in post #5 of this thread.
This shows the wiring harness under the driver's seat for a W203 facelift model with memory seats. As shown in the second photo in post #22 of the same thread, I had to connect only three of the wires to activate the memory function in the seat. One was the power wire and the other two were for CAN bus communication. (There was an existing ground wire for the non-memory seats located on a separate harness that plugged t into a different socket on the control box.)

I think that the wires I didn't use play a role in controlling the signal that activates the memory settings on the mirrors and the power adjustable steering wheel. I don't know which wire connects to each component, but it would be interesting to see whether any of the wires on your memory mirrors have the same colors as the wires in the seat harness.

I obtained my parts from a donor car in a pick and pull lot. I traced the wires from under the seat through the wiring passage under the door sill. I couldn't trace them any farther than that without disassembling the dash.

Good luck with your project.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:04 AM

Thanks Kevin

I was able to find a VIN for a C55 with Option code 275 (memory package) and Code 500 ( Outside rear view mirror LH and RH folding).

Looking at EPC I found the door cable harness that leads to the mirror but what is extremely odd is that the Part number A203 540 89 08 seems to be the same part number on donor mirrors I purchased from Germany also same part number used on the DIY so it has me stumped for the time being. There is a code under the description " [409] To be adapted during assembly " which leads me to believe that each vehicle has the harness adapted to whichever options were called out for on that build. I am thinking I can perhaps purchase the harness here in the states and modify the pins to make it work, would need to look for wiring diagram for this harness or see if someone in Germany/EU can send me a harness from over there off a donor or new from MB.

Hopefully have some news next week...
Old 02-01-2022, 12:39 AM

So I am still working on obtaining the harness but the mirrors do fold in and out when locking and unlocking the vehicle!

Purpose of new harness is for Park Assist.
The following users liked this post:
KevinH2000 (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 07:20 AM

Received 131 Likes on 122 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
Great work.