C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Bi-X: W203/CL203 OEM Bi-XENON Upgrade, Auto-Levelling & Programming thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average.

Old 05-07-2003, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 C200 Kompressor, 02 C32 AMG
Originally posted by K9ff

My buddy has an Audi TT, did a side by side comparison after my bulbs were swapped to the 6000K...light off the projectors have almost the same blue tint, but the light output against the driveway door was no contest as my lights were alot brighter!
Anybody has any idea why one put out more light than the other one??…is it the bulb?, the ballast? Or the overall projector design/size?.

K9ff…did you happen to take any night comparison pics between stock D2S bulbs and the Phillips 6000K D2S bulbs?
Old 05-08-2003, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 mercedes c320
A question from an unexperienced boy

Hi,
I have some questions here and I hope you guys can help me out.
1. how many K does the original non bi xenon bulb has ?
2. I see the misterjung's website and it says that the brightest HID is the 5200K compared to the other high K ones, is that right ?
3. Lumens, what does it stand for ? Is it better to have high umens or vice versa ?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2003, 12:08 AM

2002 mercedes c320
A question from an unexperienced boy

Hi,
2. I see the misterjung's website and it says that the brightest HID is the 5200K compared to the other high K ones, is that right ?
3. Lumens, what does it stand for ? Is it better to have high umens or vice versa ?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2003, 12:22 AM

Re: A question from an unexperienced boy

Originally posted by carlssonist
Hi,

Thanks
1. I think its 4300K
2. Higher Kelvin value puts less light, something to do with approaching invincible/end of colour spectrum…or something like that...
3. Higher Lumens means brighter…that’s all I know
Old 05-08-2003, 12:51 AM

2003 C320 4Matic
Originally posted by peet
Harris, thanks. I ran across that one before I posted - I think I'll give misterjung a try - he's $65/ea for replacements - cross fingers.

Peet
Peet,

Be careful. On a BMW forum that I have been a part of, some buyers had issues with Misterjung. Something about the product, the lack of response, or both.

If you want to risk it and can spare the monies, go ahead. Look at the price... you usually get what you pay for.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Re: Bi-Xenon Install

Originally posted by ac1
Do you set the computer for xenons as well or do I stilll need to go to the dealer for that?
The last time I spoke jay he didn't have the 10+k costing stardiagnostic hard- and software...yet???
Originally posted by seandan
email me please xsngx@aol.com with prices!
...erm...no...you mail me when you want to have something...that will save you a long period of waiting

greetingz,
Old 05-08-2003, 11:59 AM

08 E63
bajaiman...

the light output may vary because of the nature of the projector between the two manufacturers. also, since mine is euro-spec and the audi tt was us dot spec may have made a difference.

sorry, since i do not have a digital camera, i will have to describe my comparisons to you all, sorry again...keep in mind that these comparisons were made by myself as i have no certifications in comparing lumens, kelvins, light wave frequencies, blah blah blah and is soley subjective opinions. my comparisons were based on light output off the light housing itself(mainly color), light output against the wall(color and brightness), and light output projected on a concrete surface(color and brightness).

from what i understand, which i can not verify, that bmw, acura/honda, lexus, and audi use a 6000k based bulb. the oem mercedes is around 4300k, which is why the mercedes seems a bit "yellow" compared to these other car manufacturers.

i did the side by side comparison with the audi tt at night. i did not look at light output projected on the ground, but just at the color between the two cars off the projector lens and the light spread brightness and output projected off to a closed driveway door about three feet away. color off the light housing were similar at different angles, but output and blue color was brighter and bluer off my 6000k equipped car...

i did another side by side inside a garage at night with an acura tl-s 2003 with my stock 4300k lights. the acura's xenons were visibally more blue off the light housing and slightly more blue onto the wall. once i swapped my bulbs to 6000k, the acura's lights looked more yellow off the light housing as well as the light output off the wall! please note that the acura's lights are not projector based...

when i received the phillips 6000k "cool blue" (is what i believe they were called)...i replaced one side with 6000k and left the other side stock (4300k)....BIG DIFFERENCE!!!! in my garage with the garage lights off at night, the stock xenon lights seemed like normal halogen based lights!

initial driving with the new bulbs installed was that the 6000k bulbs were alot bluer in color compared to stock, with color off the light housing comparable to bmw and acura lights driving on the road. the output on the ground hovever, was a soft blue color, my initial opinion was that it was slightly dimmer than the stock 4300k, which was a pure white on the roadway(purely subjective) even though blue on the ground, it was still much brighter than just about all other halogen based cars driving around at night in roads that were not lit by streetlights.

last comparison i did was with a 2002 bmw 3-series with factory projector xenons. (although i parked behind the bmw at night) light output off the housing was similiar, light output to the ground had the bmw noticably "brighter and whiter" compared to mine.....subjective again though...i must say that my euro spec bixenons were not aimed by a mercedes dealership yet, but were aimed visually by myslef at night at different angles and distances so it would not be blinding other drivers. my car was also lowered, while the audi, acura and bmw were stock ride heights....may make a difference...

i would definatley buy high quality bulbs, and since these hid bulbs typically last almost the life of your vehicle, just buy it once and you more or less will not have to worry about them anymore....

hope this helps, sorry about the length of the reply...=)
Old 05-08-2003, 06:34 PM

K9ff...Thanks a bunch for that lengthy comparison, much appreciated
Old 05-08-2003, 09:50 PM

2003 C32 AMG
There's no 6000k bulbs on any vehicle from the factory. The purple hue you see on some cars are due to the headlight design and how long they've been broken in.

There are quite a few 4300k bulbs out there. Some are by Phillips and some are by OSRAM. There is a difference. Phillips I've heard tends to emit a whiter beam on the ground versus the OSRAMs yellower beam.

Phillips makes quite a few HID bulbs. The ones you see on ebay are the first generation HID bulbs and tend to be more blue/white from the projector and the newer phillips are more purple. OSRAM also makes a few bulbs and vary by model.

Check out Automotive Lighting FAQ where they give a good description the different bulbs and what makes a bulb different colors.

Originally posted by K9ff
bajaiman...

the light output may vary because of the nature of the projector between the two manufacturers. also, since mine is euro-spec and the audi tt was us dot spec may have made a difference.

sorry, since i do not have a digital camera, i will have to describe my comparisons to you all, sorry again...keep in mind that these comparisons were made by myself as i have no certifications in comparing lumens, kelvins, light wave frequencies, blah blah blah and is soley subjective opinions. my comparisons were based on light output off the light housing itself(mainly color), light output against the wall(color and brightness), and light output projected on a concrete surface(color and brightness).

from what i understand, which i can not verify, that bmw, acura/honda, lexus, and audi use a 6000k based bulb. the oem mercedes is around 4300k, which is why the mercedes seems a bit "yellow" compared to these other car manufacturers.

i did the side by side comparison with the audi tt at night. i did not look at light output projected on the ground, but just at the color between the two cars off the projector lens and the light spread brightness and output projected off to a closed driveway door about three feet away. color off the light housing were similar at different angles, but output and blue color was brighter and bluer off my 6000k equipped car...

i did another side by side inside a garage at night with an acura tl-s 2003 with my stock 4300k lights. the acura's xenons were visibally more blue off the light housing and slightly more blue onto the wall. once i swapped my bulbs to 6000k, the acura's lights looked more yellow off the light housing as well as the light output off the wall! please note that the acura's lights are not projector based...

when i received the phillips 6000k "cool blue" (is what i believe they were called)...i replaced one side with 6000k and left the other side stock (4300k)....BIG DIFFERENCE!!!! in my garage with the garage lights off at night, the stock xenon lights seemed like normal halogen based lights!

initial driving with the new bulbs installed was that the 6000k bulbs were alot bluer in color compared to stock, with color off the light housing comparable to bmw and acura lights driving on the road. the output on the ground hovever, was a soft blue color, my initial opinion was that it was slightly dimmer than the stock 4300k, which was a pure white on the roadway(purely subjective) even though blue on the ground, it was still much brighter than just about all other halogen based cars driving around at night in roads that were not lit by streetlights.

last comparison i did was with a 2002 bmw 3-series with factory projector xenons. (although i parked behind the bmw at night) light output off the housing was similiar, light output to the ground had the bmw noticably "brighter and whiter" compared to mine.....subjective again though...i must say that my euro spec bixenons were not aimed by a mercedes dealership yet, but were aimed visually by myslef at night at different angles and distances so it would not be blinding other drivers. my car was also lowered, while the audi, acura and bmw were stock ride heights....may make a difference...

i would definatley buy high quality bulbs, and since these hid bulbs typically last almost the life of your vehicle, just buy it once and you more or less will not have to worry about them anymore....

hope this helps, sorry about the length of the reply...=)
Old 05-08-2003, 09:54 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Here's a direct link to the HID Bulb FAQ:

HID Bulb FAQ
Old 05-09-2003, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
The K value has nothing to do with light output quantity by the way.

It is simply a measure of color. 6000 is almost pure white and is typically used for print production (if memory serves) as a basis for color calibration. Going from 6000 toward 0 you increase to the reds going up you go to the violet range.

Now gradeschool color spectrum order

Violet
Indigo
Blue
Green
Yellow
Orange
Red

the white is a wierd thing because it is a mix of all the colors and falls in the middle. The other extremes start filtering... so a 0K value - if there was such a thing would be extreme infrared. The output of that bulb could be very high indeed. In fact bright enough to blind you (although you wouldn't see it until you wouldn't see). Don't believe? Go find some single mode fiber used for metro area networks and look into it. You won't see a light but then you won't see very shortly

Generally speaking, when the colors deviate from the white, since they filter other colors without increasing the overall output so the factual delivered output is decreased.

Anyhow, sorry for the babble, but hopefully this clears things up a bit.

Peet

BTW: There have been many studies that have shown - and with physical (as in physics) backing of why yellowish bulbs are better. You see there is more scatter with blue, in fact it is one of the worst colors to see by. But I don't care, I like the look
Old 05-22-2003, 10:00 PM

anyone with bi-xenon

is that correct that one connection on the headlights is not used (does not have connection to the car wiring system)?

thanks
Old 05-23-2003, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The connector for the auto-leveling system is not used.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:36 AM

thanks Lynn for the info
Old 06-03-2003, 06:04 AM

bi-xenon

wats the cost to convert to bi-xenon from halogen?
Old 06-03-2003, 06:07 AM
Guest0001

dealers are about 945 a side i think

there people on thise board who got there by half the price.

do a search and this topic has been discussed countless times!
Old 06-08-2003, 12:48 AM

2008 C300 Sport Sedan: Panarama Roof, P2, Multimedia
Question new C32 xenon projector headlights

Anyone know where I can get these xenon projector headlights besides the dealership? I asked and was quoted $3000 because you have to buy the whole xenon HID kit with the headlights. I have a feeling it's stock on the new C-Class in Germany. It's available as an "option" for the 2004 C-Class for $750 with headlight wipers.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2003, 12:49 AM

new c32 projector headlights xenon

Anyone know where I can get these xenon projector headlights besides the dealership? I asked and was quoted $3000 because you have to buy the whole xenon HID kit with the headlights. I have a feeling it's stock on the new C-Class in Germany. It's available as an "option" for the 2004 C-Class for $750 with headlight wipers.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Bi-X: W203/CL203 OEM Bi-XENON Upgrade, Auto-Levelling & Programming thread-c32.jpg  
Old 06-08-2003, 01:13 AM

contact steve, MbenzNL on this forum...
Old 06-08-2003, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are no headlight wipers, just headlight washers.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Yup, get 'em from Steve. Very satisfied w/my retrofit
Old 06-08-2003, 04:10 AM

How much is the whole kit from Steve?
Old 06-08-2003, 07:31 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Re: new c32 projector headlights xenon

Originally posted by benzo-boi

Thanks in advance!
That's the Bi-Xenon headlight. It's not stock on the regular C-class. That thing only comes when you opt for the bi=xenon.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
It is available as an option (not stock) anywhere on the world...do a search on xenon or bi xenon in this forum section.

greetingz,
Old 06-08-2003, 11:04 PM

new c32 projector headlights xenon

heres the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Bi-X: W203/CL203 OEM Bi-XENON Upgrade, Auto-Levelling & Programming thread-c32.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average.

Quick Reply: Bi-X: W203/CL203 OEM Bi-XENON Upgrade, Auto-Levelling & Programming thread