C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

individual/reading light bulb size?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 04:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2007 C280 4MATIC Luxury
individual/reading light bulb size?

does anyone know the size of this bulb in the W203 trim? i was told it's a T10 / 194 bulb fitment. would i be able to put in a 194 led bulb into the T10 socket and will it fit properly without any adapters ?
Old 09-13-2022, 06:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 199 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
This information I can give is based on the pre-facelift cars, but I imagine most of it will carry through with the facelifted cars. Be sure to verify before buying a bunch of bulbs.

If your reading light uses the W5W type bulb, any of them will work. 168 and 194 for example will also work for example. With that said, this would be a great change to update to LED bulbs if so inclined. FYI the interior cabin bulbs don't have "bulb out" errors. However, the the trunk one will. At least it does for the pre-facelift coupe. Not sure if it applies for your car.

If you go the full LED route, a resistor needs to be added in parallel to the festoon bulbs that gradually dim (otherwise they never completely shut off), as well as the trunk festoon bulb (for the pre-facelift coupe, not sure if this applies to the sedan or for facelifted cars). See this thread for more information.

Last edited by slammer111; 09-13-2022 at 06:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
llove (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 04:54 PM

2007 C280 4MATIC Luxury
Originally Posted by slammer111
This information I can give is based on the pre-facelift cars, but I imagine most of it will carry through with the facelifted cars. Be sure to verify before buying a bunch of bulbs.

If your reading light uses the W5W type bulb, any of them will work. 168 and 194 for example will also work for example. With that said, this would be a great change to update to LED bulbs if so inclined. FYI the interior cabin bulbs don't have "bulb out" errors. However, the the trunk one will. At least it does for the pre-facelift coupe. Not sure if it applies for your car.

If you go the full LED route, a resistor needs to be added in parallel to the festoon bulbs that gradually dim (otherwise they never completely shut off), as well as the trunk festoon bulb (for the pre-facelift coupe, not sure if this applies to the sedan or for facelifted cars). See this thread for more information.
So i had some spare Philips LED that fit perfectly into the driver + passenger vanity mirrors. I know exactly what you're talking about since majority of LEDs don't have CANBUS built into it. The LEDs in the vanity mirror work perfectly with no flicker as well as being completely shut off when the mirror is in the closed position. After i realized that those worked i decided to do the rest of the car. I know the dome light will be fine with a Philips LED 6411, but i'm really unsure about the map/individual reading light. After watching some videos, people are pulling out T10 bulbs from a W203 trim, but i feel like a 194 or 168 will not fit into this socket. I have 07 c280, i'm unsure if the video link i have below is for a preface-lift or facelift. I attached some photos of the socket it just seems too big for a LED to fit in there. Let me know what you think. Always appreciate your input on these logistics Slammer !

Old 09-13-2022, 05:03 PM

2007 C280 4MATIC Luxury
Originally Posted by slammer111
I went through hell trying to get my license plate lights to be completely LED without resistors while avoiding any dash codes for bulbs being out / flickering. I found these CANBUS high quality built festoon bulbs that fit into the license plate clear housing of the W203. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ziza-par...6mm65050smcan/

so far so good, been using the bulbs 6 months with no error codes or frying of the bulb.

Old 09-13-2022, 05:06 PM

2007 C280 4MATIC Luxury
here is the vanity mirror working flawlessly with Phillips LED, the reason why i want to do the rest of my car :P so i'm going to do the front dome light, rear dome light, both individual reading (if it works... i'm still skeptical about the T10 bulb being in the same class as a 194/168 LED.), both doors, and trunk.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:00 PM

2007 C280 4MATIC Luxury
Well i just opened up my center control system to gain access to the dome light bulb. After pulling the T10 bulb out, there is no way a 194 or 168 is going to fit into that socket. Here are some photos, is there such thing as a T10 LED bulb with the same fitment as the one in my hand?

Old 09-13-2022, 07:33 PM

2007 C280 4MATIC Luxury
oh crap i'm a complete dumbass i think i just realized the issue. the black socket is the holder for the bulb, not the actual base for the bulb. i think the bulb in the black holder will come out? lol dang ! i have to try again tomorrow during day light
Old 09-14-2022, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 199 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Yes the bulb pulls out. Philips makes wedge bulbs in W5W size. Pick the correct colour temperature. Some are yellowish, while others are white or bluish. Personally I like either pure white or slightly yellow inside the cabin. Having blue light inside feels like a flashlight to the face. Personally I found 4000K Philips are the sweet spot. Replaced every bulb (other than the cigarette lighter and tray) in the car with this product line.

There is no such thing as a Canbus bulb. All it means is that the bulb draws enough current so that the car doesn't think the bulb is burned out. For the license plate bulbs the amount of juice required only requires a small resistor(s). I'm talking about ones that don't require any drilling into bodywork. See my link for more information. By using resistors I was able to use Philips LED bulbs for the plates with no issues.

Last edited by slammer111; 09-15-2022 at 02:29 AM.