C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My CE light comae on this morning..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My CE light comae on this morning..

and teh codes indicate a Mass Air Flow issue. THe stealership wants 667 to change this out. Is this a hard item to replace or is it a easy fix?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:15 PM

'05 C230K SS
What state do you live in? I believe the MAF sensor is considered part of the emissions control system, and in certain states like CA, it is state law for these systems to be covered under warranty for 7yr/70,000mi regardless of the manufacturer's normal warranty.

I had the MAF sensor replaced on a Volvo I used to drive for no charge under this mandated warranty.

Last edited by DiamondNoir2K5; 10-11-2004 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:23 PM

c240
i had to change the maf sensor on my car and the whole maf sensor thing cost me like 400 somthing, i'll ask my pops how easy or har it is to fix later today ad keep you posted.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:48 PM

05 C230 SS Brilliant Silver
Generally MAF are pretty easy to swap out, not sure about the Benz though.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by DiamondNoir2K5
What state do you live in? I believe the MAF sensor is considered part of the emissions control system, and in certain states like CA, it is state law for these systems to be covered under warranty for 7yr/70,000mi regardless of the manufacturer's normal warranty.

I had the MAF sensor replaced on a Volvo I used to drive for no charge under this mandated warranty.
I live in New Orleans...Louisiana has no emission regulations, hell, they give tax breaks to people whio can enit the most polution.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by DiamondNoir2K5

Not covered under emmissions warranty in Calif. I just had mine done last week while they were replacing the second CAT this year. The cost of the item is too low to be covered. Talked the dealer down to $600 from 675. The part is about $400 from the dealer but can be found for less elsewhere. Simple operation I'm told but I'm too lazy to do it myself. Basically unplug the old one and plug in the new one.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Almost a Member!

KOMPRESSOR
What are the symptoms of a MAF malfunction? Twice now I have had a problem at about 1/2 a tank of fule, while accelerating from 75 to 85 passing...A stutter and then it runs rough for a few starts with the CEL on...with the next refill the light goes off and no problems??? could this be the MAF?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:51 PM

c240
Originally Posted by I,Zombie
What are the symptoms of a MAF malfunction? Twice now I have had a problem at about 1/2 a tank of fule, while accelerating from 75 to 85 passing...A stutter and then it runs rough for a few starts with the CEL on...with the next refill the light goes off and no problems??? could this be the MAF?
the problems i had with my maf was that i was getting less mileage, about 18mpg on my c240, and the car felt weak at low rpms, and not responsive. When i changed the maf sensor, i know get 22mpg and the car feels more peppy and responsive, when i tap the gas, the car actually jumps ahead instead of sluggishly moving forward. and my pops said that its pretty much plug and play but you need star diagnose to clear the faults and let the car know that it got a new maf.

oh yeah and about your problem with the lights and stuff, make sure that the gas cap is on correctly, if thats not the case the stuttering sounds like there's something wrong with the feul system, maybe a dirty or clogged fuel filter or the injectors are dirty. ALso are you using 93 octane?

Last edited by elchinocache; 10-12-2004 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Almost a Member!

KOMPRESSOR
Originally Posted by elchinocache
the problems i had with my maf was that i was getting less mileage, about 18mpg on my c240, and the car felt weak at low rpms, and not responsive. When i changed the maf sensor, i know get 22mpg and the car feels more peppy and responsive, when i tap the gas, the car actually jumps ahead instead of sluggishly moving forward. and my pops said that its pretty much plug and play but you need star diagnose to clear the faults and let the car know that it got a new maf.

oh yeah and about your problem with the lights and stuff, make sure that the gas cap is on correctly, if thats not the case the stuttering sounds like there's something wrong with the feul system, maybe a dirty or clogged fuel filter or the injectors are dirty. ALso are you using 93 octane?
Thanks a bunch, elchinocache.

As suggested on a different thread, I took the car to autozone on my lunch break to read the error code.. They deterimined that the code meant that my car had a misfire on cyl 2, so I bought a set of platinum Bosch plugs. Only later did I determine that I don't have a spark plug wrench that fits in the hole (I have a 99 c230 kompressor). Is there some special plug wrench? My tool kit is missing some tools, was that in there?
Old 10-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Almost a Member!

07 C230 SS Black/Black
Check your owner manual, if the original spark plugs are platinum then you are
fine. Otherwise platinum Bosch plugs could cause rough idle in your engine.
Older 190E use Bosch copper plugs.

If scan from Autozone indicated "#2 miss-fired" . Then you should try to
change no 2 plug first and see if it fix the problem.

Good luck

PS: Regular spark plug wrench will work (the small one) and you will need
extension to get to the plug.

Last edited by 2301tom; 10-12-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:06 PM

mercedes c230 kompresor coupe
heeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllppppppp!!!!!

hello,
I have a mercedes c230 k ,2002, 95k ...and last week the engine broke down. I turned on the engine a couple of times but after 3 seconds it stopped everytime. I took off the MAF, I turned on the engine, and again it stopped after 3 sec. A friend of mine that is a machanic, checked the engine computer and said that the problem is MAF. I went to a dealer and they said that it will cost me $450, but I found a MAF cheaper on e-bay ($275)
My question is: if I get this MAF will the engine work again without stopping? Because one of my friends said that the engine wasn't supposed to stop after I took out the MAF. So, What should I do? HEEELP ME!!!!!!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
did anyone "recharge" their K&Ns? kuz maybe the MAF had a clog?

the MAF seems easy to replace, get one from the parts dept and replace that urself