C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Observations on German engineering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Observations on German engineering

The recent thread about the person who couldn't find the gas filler release (because there isn't one) made me appreciate the German engineering that goes into our cars again. So, I'll just ramble about some of the things that I think are cool, and show the extra thought that goes on. Actually, this is my 2nd German car, the first being a '99 VW Passat. Although the cars are quite different, in different segments, there are a few common threads that seem to be linked by the German "process".

It seems our German engineer "friends" do a more thorough job of integrating functions of the car, which result in more convenience. Like the fuel filler door. Why have an additional button, lever, etc. to unlock the filler door when it can simply be included in the overall car locking design? When the car is locked, the gas cap is safe and you don't have to take any additional action to get access to it when you fill up. Also, I think the way they treat the trunk (on the sedans) as just another door is great -- it was the same w/ the Passat. When the car is unlocked, you simply use the hidden lever under the license plate frame to open it. No need to use the key. When you lock up, the lever is "disconnected". Why can't American engineers be this thoughtful? Yes, you can use the remote, but I like the idea of just being able to open the trunk like a door.

There are lots of other things that some people may not have noticed. Like, if it's light outside, the interior lights do not come on when you open the door. You don't need them, and this extends bulb life. Also, the small lights in the headlining for the vanity mirrors -- much better than the lights built in to the mirror which glare in your face.

Some people have complained about the complexity of the climate system controls, but how many of you have had other cars with auto climate control? I think my C240 is far superior to the many cars I've had with a similar system as far as ability to keep the cabin comfortable with a minimum of interaction. I keep my controls on 72 and I've never had to change them. I do use "EC"/manual mode when I want outside air on a nice day, but other than that, I hardly touch the controls.

On the down side, I think maybe they go too far once in a while. For example, I wish I could adjust the rain sensor sensitivity like you can on some American cars. They've simplified the control by having one position, but they've taked away my choice. Also true of the auto-dimming mirror. On most cars, you can defeat this feature but not on the M-B.

Anyway, just thought I'd give my $.02!!
Old 05-19-2002, 09:09 AM

2002 C230, 1996 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
I agree wholeheartedly. I have never had a German car before. I have driven several domestics and Japanese cars, and none of them come close to the experience I am having with my little C230.

All of the reports and reviews I have read accuse Mercedes of "going cheap" with this car just to lure in people who couldn't otherwise afford a Benz. True, I wouldn't have been nearly as attracted to the car if it had been, say, a Honda or something like that.....but I still think the car is a fantastic buy for the money. When I first test drove my C230, I was more starry eyed about the fact that I was buying a MB. Then over the first week of owning the car, I began to notice the little touches that make this car special. The ride is very solid and feels like it will be years before I get one of those annoying little squeaks or rattles ( one of my BIG pet peeves! ) that seem to plague cars now. I noticed that the interior door handles are chrome and not plastic. I noticed that the sun visor clips are made of metal and not plastic. The carpet is even twice as plush as most cars I have had. The A-pillars inside the car are apholstered and not plain plastic....nice touch. Heck I even have to shut the door harder to get it to close because it is so much heavier than any other doors I have closed in my life LOL! The list goes on and on....my salesman told me that Mercedes designs cars with the driver's comfort in mind because they spend so much time in the car. Well...so do Americans.....what's wrong with car companies here? They could use some pointers from Europe.

I like how I feel like I'm part of a special group now....MB owners. I came out of a restaraunt last night where I had eaten dinner and as I was walking to where I had parked my car ( accross the street in an empty parking lot ) there was another C coupe parked next to me. I have only seen one other in my area and that was the one that inspired me to buy my C230, and this was a different one. I was delighted to see the two cars together! I wish I could have met the owner and talked to them.

I keep thinking, if Mercedes went "cheap" with this car, I would love to drive one of the expensive MB's to see how it feels because it must be heaven. I'm just not sure though, I like the sturdy feel that the coupe has and I wonder if the expensive sedans would feel "squishy"....do they? Mercedes accomplished what they were out to do with the Coupe with me.....they got a formerly non-Mercedes owner hooked who will more than likely be a repeat customer.

Michelle
Old 05-19-2002, 07:54 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Isn't it great?
No, Michelle - I don't think the bigger ones feel squishy. You can tell the pedigree when you drive the C-Coupe. They got me hooked, too. I marvel every day at all the thoughtful and mostly well-executed details. And that's even though I am German. I guess I just feel right 'at home' in my Benz ...
Old 05-19-2002, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
"The automobile feels like it was machined out of a solid block of metal".