C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2003 C240 Oil leak and burning off the exhaust pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240
Exclamation 2003 C240 Oil leak and burning off the exhaust pipes

I've had my C240 for close to 5 years now and I just hit around 122k miles on it. I've done lots to it already such as a coolant reservoir replacement, a valve cover gasket replacement (after seeing oil burning off the exhaust manifold), and other cosmetics. I now have a problem that seems to be getting worse the more I drive it. The car loses about a quart of oil every few days and leaves a nice oil stain after parking. I know it is not the top of the engine as I have already replaced the valve cover gaskets properly. The leak seems to be originating at the metal plate right behind the front wheel area. I've discussed it with some mechanic friends and they believe that it could be a PCV valve, oil sensor leak, or one of the o-rings around my oil components. Just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar and found the cause or fix for it and if it's a common issue. I don't have too much time to mess around with it as I am at college at the moment but would really appreciate some input. The attached images will show the burned residue on my exhaust pipes as far back as the cat converter! Also the oil-soaked plastic and metal covers.

The suspected origin of the oil leak. In the beginning, the oil used to burn on the pipes closer to the engine and the smoke would travel up through the engine bay, but now it travels all over the car.

Burned oil residue as far back as about halfway the length of the car. The left-hand side is the side closer to the engine.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please go ahead. This is my first post on MBWorld and I look forward to staying around and chatting with some other C240 owners
Thanks, Simon