C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230K----discoveries

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
OK, all you air conditioning experts, I have a question for you!

My C32 has the upgraded (digital) climate control, and I think I have it all figured out, even to the blue wheel and all. It seems to work great!

Yesterday I brought our ML in for it's service, and got a C240 as a loaner car. It has the "regular" (twisty-knob) climate control.

I pressed the Auto button, and everything seemed OK, but it is blowing up a storm! MUCH louder than my C32's a/c.

I checked the vent openings - all were open. I checked the temperature dials - they were set to approximately my C32's settings.

So why all the air flow? It was about 75-80 ambient yesterday.

Any ideas?
Old 05-21-2002, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
jswedberg,

I have not been a c240, but I have been in a number of e-classes and my c-coupe. The non-digital climate control is much, much louder IMHO. It's a problem. The 2003 c-class cars have a digital climate control, so I think MB is aware of the isssue.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
I concur with Beth. In my C230 I pretty much only use the AUTO setting when I want the thing to blow at "full blast."

BT
Old 05-21-2002, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
In my C240, the fan blows "full force" only at extreme temps. Like when you first start up on a hot day. Within about 5 minutes, the fan has reduced speed quite a bit. On a moderate day, the fan is on about speed 3 or maybe 4 (I've switched to manual and matched the speed w/ the fan control). Once the cabin temp equalizes, I don't think it's very loud at all. W/ the digital control, aren't the other components the same? Like the fan and it's speeds -- I thought just the "front-end" control was different.

Edit- I guess the programming for the 2 units could be different, i.e., its response to temp inputs.

I've had climate control cars for years. I've been in other people's cars who have it, and many times, they just don't let the system "do its thing". They don't realize the initial high fan will quickly subside once the temperature begins to moderate. Then they start playing all kinds of games w/ the controls and complain that it doesn't work well. I'm not saying you all are doing this, just an observation .

Last edited by MarkL; 05-21-2002 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by MarkL
I'm not saying you all are doing this, just an observation .
I know that eventually it will subside, I just usually never let it.

Color me guilty as charged.

:p

BT
Old 05-21-2002, 04:17 PM

C32 AMG
I'm pretty sure I'm using the a/c correctly - I've had at least four cars in the past with climate control, and my C32's is by far the best. I just leave it alone and it does its thing.

It does turn up the volume on startup when its been sitting in the sun for a while (black interior) but it quickly subsides, just as MarkL mentions.

But the C240's (non-digital) a/c was much more intrusively loud at it's "steady state" temperature. Enough that I found it annoying and, if I owned it, would probably take it off automatic and turn the fan down (like trench said)

BTW, the C240 was really quiet (except for the A/C) at slower driving speeds! I think the C32's exhaust and big tires make it louder. Of course, that's the point, i suppose!

At highway speeds (70 mph and up ) the C240 seemed to be working harder (it makes sense!) and was a little louder than the C32.

The C240 really had "adequate" power (if you remind yourself that there is no reason to hurry) . But our ML320 definitely has mor "go", and of course my C32 goes like stink! But the C240 was nice and easy to start from a stop. The C32 (especially in sport mode) is very jumpy - its hard to smoothly start from a stop.

Anyways, it was interesting comparing the two "C"s - I got a E320 the previous time as a loaner car - that is a nice car, too!
Old 05-21-2002, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Lynn
The Mercedes operator's manual is not just a sleep aid, it is the worst piece of technical writing I have read since the poorly translated Japanese motorcycle manuals of the late 60's and early 70's. The biggest difference is that one could get a few laughs from the bad translations of the Japanese manuals, but the Mercedes manual is just annoying in its disarray. I have discovered things that I think might be features, but can't find anything about them in the manual.
Ditto! ...was wondering if someone else felt the same way. Being infested with cross-reference links, it would make a decent website... Funny thing, you still have to get to the car and pop up a fuse compartment cover for the fuse chart that's just a piece of paper folded in 4 and stuck there quite loosely
Old 05-21-2002, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by jswedberg

But the C240's (non-digital) a/c was much more intrusively loud at it's "steady state" temperature. Enough that I found it annoying and, if I owned it, would probably take it off automatic and turn the fan down (like trench said)
I believe you, and that's interesting. I wonder what speed the fan would have been at if you took it off manual and tried to match the speed w/ the knob (if you know what I mean). I'm just wondering if somehow the fan is quieter in your C32 or if it runs at a lower speed "normally".

Also, there's one thing I don't like about the manual control on the C230/240. On some systems, you can take either the fan or air direction (mode) out of auto separately and let the system control the other. On ours, it's either all auto or all manual. I think the digital system allows separate manual control since you use the button to override the fan, and pop out that mode knob to control the air direction, right? The reason I like the single manual method is that if you lower the fan speed to your liking, the system will still control the air delivery. If you notice, the M-B system makes very subtle changes between the various vents to maintain comfort. Manually, it just won't work the same.

OK, another note. If you make the fan speed too low, the system will force the air temp to extremes because it thinks it is not modulating the temperature sufficiently. Instead of moderately cold (or warm) air at a medium fan speed, you might end up with frigid (or hot) air at your selected low fan speed.