C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

c230 trunk sill cargo net

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
c230 trunk sill cargo net

i bought this thing as i hate when groceries flop around in the trunk and spill on the nice carpet. the instructions say to remove the upper bolts and plastic brackets from the trunk sill trim, and to screw these hooks in. however, there's nothing for them to screw into! there's a hole in the bodywork, and i think the rubber gasket is supposed to go into that, but i can't get it to stay whatsoever. the net hooks keep popping out. any ideas? is this thing just a piece of trash?
Old 05-20-2002, 07:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Which net did you get? I don't think it'll change my answer, but I did the net that covers the floor right in front of the hatch opening. If you got the full-floor option, it may change the answer (but I doubt it).

I took out the plastic "bolt" and put in the hook. It took a little time to get it in - I really had to push it in to get the threads to catch, but I got it eventually.

Don't give up; just push it in further.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They are very difficult to get in, especially the left one. You need to push in really hard while turning them. I never was able the screw the hook in the the holes in the metal. I can feel the thread try to catch, but they seem to be too short. The hooks are firmly in the plastic trim piece, however. They take some effort to remove.

Last edited by Lynn; 05-20-2002 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by Lynn
I never was able the screw the hook in the the holes in the metal. I can feel the tread try to catch, but they seem to be too short.
I'm sure you get that all the time. :p
Old 05-20-2002, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Originally posted by tommy

I'm sure you get that all the time. :p
Lynn, with Tommy around, you sure walked right in to that one.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: c230 trunk sill cargo net

Originally posted by session
however, there's nothing for them to screw into! there's a hole in the bodywork, and i think the rubber gasket is supposed to go into that, but i can't get it to stay whatsoever.
It's kind of hard to describe this, but the way the bolts work is that when pressed in really hard and turned, the rubber gasket is squeezed and deformed by end of the bolt. It expands in the space behind the hole and the expansion of the gasket keeps it from being pulled free. There isn't anything inside of the hole that the screw actually catches on and screws into. (The process is similar to expanding screws used to put hangers into drywall.) At first I was surprised by this - I fully expected the hooks to actually screw into something. But the hooks stay on rather well; my only guess is that the expanding rubber grommet is used partially to prevent rattling and partially because the nets were an afterthought.

Hope this rather lame explination is understandable.

BT
Old 05-20-2002, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
Re: Re: c230 trunk sill cargo net

Originally posted by trench

It's kind of hard to describe this, but the way the bolts work is that when pressed in really hard and turned, the rubber gasket is squeezed and deformed by end of the bolt. It expands in the space behind the hole and the expansion of the gasket keeps it from being pulled free. There isn't anything inside of the hole that the screw actually catches on and screws into. (The process is similar to expanding screws used to put hangers into drywall.) At first I was surprised by this - I fully expected the hooks to actually screw into something. But the hooks stay on rather well; my only guess is that the expanding rubber grommet is used partially to prevent rattling and partially because the nets were an afterthought.

Hope this rather lame explination is understandable.

BT
yep thats exactly how i thought they were supposed to work. the difficulty im having is even getting the rubber gasket to stick into the bodywork hole. i can shove it through the plastic trim fine, but that only stays put for about 2 minutes with groceries in the net
Old 05-20-2002, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: Re: Re: c230 trunk sill cargo net

Originally posted by session
yep thats exactly how i thought they were supposed to work. the difficulty im having is even getting the rubber gasket to stick into the bodywork hole. i can shove it through the plastic trim fine, but that only stays put for about 2 minutes with groceries in the net
All I can say is that you really have to cram them in there. On my car one went in fine on the first try - while the other took several attempts to get it to catch properly.

Best of luck, BT
Old 05-20-2002, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
i finally got it... i found that if i moved the rubber gasket/bolt all the way to the end of the hook screw, it was narrow enough to push through the hole. then if you just keep enough pressure on the hook (it takes a fair amount of force to do this) while you screw it in, it will expand inside the bodywork like it's supposed to.

god that sounded phalic.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:14 AM

2008 C300 Sport
If you ordered the net prior to accepting delivery of your car, why didn't the dealer install it as part of the service? Or was this purchased after the fact? I'm also considering the net (sill, not floor) to hold groceries and other small items.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
Originally posted by Mark08859
If you ordered the net prior to accepting delivery of your car, why didn't the dealer install it as part of the service? Or was this purchased after the fact? I'm also considering the net (sill, not floor) to hold groceries and other small items.
cuz i was anxious to get out of there and drive my car, also the part wasnt in stock so i got it about two days after delivery of my car. it's not hard to install, contrary to my previous post -- i just had to figure out what the hell it was supposed to do. german instructions are no fun