C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

why should i get the 230k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2002 | 02:41 AM

C230
Post why should i get the 230k?

i have been lurking here for about 3 months.. my dad and i have been looking together for a new car for me (yah i gotta admit im pretty spoiled :o )

anyways, we've gotten it down to two, the subaru wrx and of course, the 230k. which do u guys think is better for the soon-to-be at pomona college guy i am?

here's the debate going on in my head:

pros:
-safe
-supercharged
-nice build quality overall

cons:
-benz label (stuffy, stuck up)
-weight 3300 lbs
-cost
-supposed to be a "girls car"

wrx
pros:
-cheap
-turbocharged = fast
-safe (albeit not as benz)
-"guys car"

cons:
-cheap build quality
-subaru not well respected

sorry, this post is a little strange, so flame all you want, but i was really hoping for some good advice. i was considering the acura rsx but that is so common nowadays i've stopped thinking of getting it.
Old 05-22-2002 | 03:03 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
IMO...C230K is a better car for the price, build quality, and of course it's a BENZ...not for the STOCK performance though.

if you want performance go with WRX or wait for a year for the Mitsu EVO VII
Old 05-22-2002 | 03:10 AM
gab

or even the RX-8
Old 05-22-2002 | 03:30 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by gab
or even the RX-8
yep

BTW how much is the new Z car going for?
Old 05-22-2002 | 03:39 AM

C230
starting under 30k (but just barely)
Old 05-22-2002 | 04:16 AM

2002 C230, 1996 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
My opinion? I think the Subaru looks like a dressed up Neon.
Old 05-22-2002 | 04:26 AM
gab

what about the Dodge Razor?

light weight two seater with turbo 2.4L 240hp sticker price low 20's
Old 05-22-2002 | 08:54 AM

2002 C230k
If I was still in college I would have gotten the Scooby over the Benz, no questions asked.

I almost bit on the WRX anyway, but in the end decided my boy racer days are pretty much over. The Benz is a better day to day car for me now... even if I do keep thinking about buying a pulley kit for it, and a chip, and building a new (better sounding) exhaust, and... :p
Old 05-22-2002 | 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
WRX vs. C230K

Both cars are fantastically more powerful than those that I drove when I was a novice and either one will let you get into BIG trouble, though the M-B has some protections built in (e.g. ESP). I'd say skip the WRX - if you crash badly in it you'll have a much higher chance of dying, plus it's scary fast for a first car.

If I was your Dad I'd be tempted to get you a nice automatic 1990 Volvo 240 DL.

Seriously, take race / performance driving courses if you get a fast car. You will regret it if you don't.
Old 05-22-2002 | 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
you call the benz badge a con? what planet are you on? this -is- a benz forum, don't forget

i'm in my 4th year in college so my situation is somewhat similar (although i had to buy my own car). i thought about the acura rsx, the wrx, the acura 3.2CL and the C230K. i had a 2000 civic EX before this, so i was definitely ready to move up. honda had left a bad taste in my mouth as far as interior quality control was concerned -- there were rattles and squeaks all over after just 24,000 miles, and i even had to have the entire drivers seat replaced because of it. i really was unsure about taking the same chance with the acura, even if it is honda's luxury division. the wrx had the performance i wanted, but interior plushness wasn't there. the benz has it all and more, and i dont regret my decision for a second.

Last edited by session; 05-22-2002 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-22-2002 | 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hear ya, the Benz badge is definetly a detriment just as a Lincoln or Cadillac badge is to anyone under 65. Specially to my family that has had so many issues with them.

I too had the dilema of deciding between the clearly superior, faster, funner, more comfortable WRX vs. the C230. What sold me was the free unlimted car washes, loaner cars, the MB dealer is 1 mile from my house vs. 7 miles for Subaru and the free 4 years of maintenance. Both cars where the same price for me at 25K (manual trans, no sunroof on either). If you go the Benz route, be prepared to take advantage of those loaners on a regular basis. I've had mine for 10 months and it's dying down but it's been in 6 times for minor problems.

Both cars have some tuning you can do on them. The C230 you can easily get to 200hp at the rear wheel for about $1,000 with a pulley and chip. On the WRX you can probably get 250hp at the rear wheel for about the same with a chip. An exhaust or intercooler would probably get you 275hp. The WRX does have turbo lag and the real power doesn't come to play unless you drive it like you hate the car while the C230 power is very consistant throughout the power band.
Old 05-22-2002 | 06:30 PM

Comparing a Benz to a Subaru ? Thats just really funny.
Old 05-22-2002 | 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Hey I'm the EXACT same situation! The Benz will be my first car (yes, I know I'm spoiled), and I was obsessed with the WRX. My uncle and my dad successfully talked me out of it. I see the pros and cons more like this-

C230
Pros -
-Safe
-Good power through the powerband
-6 speed
-good looks
-Benz emblem
-nice build quality
-Solid chassis
-RWD

Cons -
-Not that fast
-Weak stock wheels/tires
-Stock sound system should be illegal
-can look very girly in the wrong color with the stock wheels (but not black with 18's )

WRX

Pros -
-Great top end power
-AWD Handling
-Price
-Rally heritage
-Turbo boost meter

Cons -
-Ugly
-Cheap build
-Subarus are often associated with lesbians (no flames please, thats what almost all of my friends told me when I showed them the WRX, and look at some Subaru commercials!)

EDIT - Like Xeon I want to say that I dont discriminate, and this was in no way meant to put down lesbians.

Go for the Benz! But... really its whats important. If going fast is everything then get the WRX, but if you want decent speed in a nice looking car go for the Benz.

Last edited by AndrewK; 05-22-2002 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2002 | 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Subarus are often associated with lesbians (no flames please, thats what almost all of my friends told me when I showed them the WRX, and look at some Subaru commercials!)

this remind me of my experience with a guy in the forum at LA....saw a old subaru WRX...a ger was in it..then..me and that guy went into a apartment lobby...and saw a pretty ger.....the guy told me....shes gonna go into the WRX....becos the ger in the WRX is a lesbian......i was like....are u sure..but...yeah..he is dead right!

well...before anything...i wanna say that i respect everyone's sexual preference...
Old 05-22-2002 | 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
zzzzzzzz

To be honest, I love my Benz and I would buy it again. I test drove the WRX and I like my creature comforts too much to go for straight power.

But wait two months and test drive the "Z" before you make any decision. I sure hope it lives up to expectations. (and the tell us what you think)

Good Luck with your choice.
Old 05-22-2002 | 08:19 PM

White C230 Coupe, Leather, Evolution, Panorama, Heated seats, Bose, Factory Alarm
My friend has a WRX and I think the ride and built quality of the C230 overwhelms the WRX. But it really depends on what your preferences are....

The WRX was on my list of cars to choose from last year when I was in the market to purchase a car.
I checked out the WRX, IS300, and Audi TT.

I think you should check out the Infiniti G35 Coupe and the 350Z, its always better to shop around before you decide on your final purchase.

I really like my car... and it meets my requirements.

Old 05-22-2002 | 08:28 PM

C230K
Re: WRX vs. C230K

If I was your Dad I'd be tempted to get you a nice automatic 1990 Volvo 240 DL.
that's what i had as my first car, except mine was a '86. i could run into a brick wall if i wanted to and walk away unscathed.

if you want to get more girls...get the benz. chicks dig it alot more than the wrx. but the wrx is a great car, and its looks are starting to grow on me. However, you're young... and when you're in high school what is your main priority... grades...driving a fast car... NO, its GIRLS. so get the benz.

my 2 cents
Old 05-22-2002 | 10:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
If you want more women, get a balled-up sock.

Now, about the choice, I'd say that it comes down to two choices: do you like to drive full out, or are you looking for a well-rounded car? For the former, it's the wrx; for the latter, it's the C230. Um, I'd check out insurance rates; you're going to get raped on the WRX.
Old 05-22-2002 | 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by viper
Comparing a Benz to a Subaru ? Thats just really funny.
I was comparing a 25K car to another 25K car just as AndrewK and many others. I only looked at the C230 because I was already going to spend 25k on a Subie so I checked out what else I can get for the same money. Brand has little to do with my decision although I do avoid some brands like Hyundai, Infiniti and Dawoo. The G35 is just too ugly for words but then Infinti never did do a nice looking car. To me a 25k Ford/Mercedes/Subaru/Honda is a 25k car. It just so happens that the coupe offered lots of bang for 25k bucks and I get the free car washes.

Now if you are are willing to spend a little more, the 2003 Mustang Cobra will be adding a turbo to their already fast car, for a total of 390hp and a 0-60 time for 4.5 seconds. An intake/maf here, an exhaust there, maybe an intercooler and chip and you got a sub 4.0 second car that can hang with some high rollers. You can even get a Cobra convertible. Can't do that in a Subie or C230.
Old 05-23-2002 | 01:11 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
my first car was a 2000 topaz blue 328CI. it was love at first sight. unfortunally i totaled the car on 1/21/01 after a year of joy and fun.

anyway...i now have a C32. i took 8 month of comparing between this and that before i decide to order the C32.

those in my list were BMW M3, 330i sport, C230k, new A4 3.0, and the WRX (the only japanese car i consider)

the M3 was quickly out of the list because of the markup during that time. no luck with the A4 because initially the AWD wasn't available. 330i sport is out of the list because there are just too many of them on the road.

then comes the C230k and wrx. never got a chance to test drive the car because the sales ppl were horrible and once i sat in the wrx the interior is just dissapointing in every way.

now it comes down to just one C230k. when i went to the dealer last july there was only one c230k on the showroom floor and it was already waiting for the owner to pick it up, so i didn't get to test drive it, but when i sat in it i was impressed.

my dad convince me to test the C320 and i was impressed by MB that they created such a fine ride with comfort and agility. the four door practicalbility sold me too.

then the my sales told me that he ordered the first C32 that will arrives at their dealership. he told me to wait for few months and come back to check out his C32 and that is what i did. the moment i saw and drove his C32 i was once again in love like i did with my 328CI.

now i'm very happy with my car it has the power of the M3 without the hard access to the backseat of the M3. i no longer has to fight my way into the backseat when my dad wants to drive my car.

GO WITH Mercedes-Benz it will never be wrong.
Old 05-23-2002 | 01:14 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by Buellwinkle

Now if you are are willing to spend a little more, the 2003 Mustang Cobra will be adding a turbo to their already fast car, for a total of 390hp and a 0-60 time for 4.5 seconds. An intake/maf here, an exhaust there, maybe an intercooler and chip and you got a sub 4.0 second car that can hang with some high rollers. You can even get a Cobra convertible. Can't do that in a Subie or C230.
the Cobra is still using the S/C...no turbo
Old 05-23-2002 | 01:41 AM

C230
well guys you convinced me!

my dad and i ordered a silver 230k (c2 c7 6-speed and black leather) today for 30k ood. it's going to be coming june 15, straight off the boat i can't wait to drive and take care of this car!

we got lucky with the car.. today we found out that it wasn't possible to order a 2002 model now, and with all the changes coming with the 2003, we didn't want it. fortunately the dealership had ordered the 230 i mentioned earlier. it's as though someone up there wanted me to get this car.

believe it or not, the insurance rates for the wrx and 230 were the same. the other day my mom and i went down to AAA and we asked the insurance lady to quote the price if my mom was the driver... the difference between the wrx and 230's rate was 3 dollars.

thanks for all the great advice, i'm really impressed with all the nice people here.
Old 05-23-2002 | 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Thumbs up

Good choice! The deciding factor for me was that while the Subie is fast, it didnt offer the total package and the manual in the one I drove really sucked (although I'm getting paranoid with all of the reports about the non-C7 shifters being awful).
Old 05-23-2002 | 09:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by midas888
thanks for all the great advice, i'm really impressed with all the nice people here.
Who are these people?

Were you stuck with that car as is? Seems you could have saved some money by getting the C5 option, or at least picked up the Bose as part of that at a reduced price. Was the leather from the factory? Just asking since you said "black" instead of "charcoal". In any case, now the ancient Chinese water torture waiting test starts. At least it's less than a month.
Old 05-23-2002 | 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Originally posted by tommy
If you want more women, get a balled-up sock.
Oh, so that is what you do. Clearly not your smashing good looks. Why does this not surprise me?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: why should i get the 230k?