C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Sunroof only opens in one direction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C220 w203
Question Sunroof only opens in one direction

Hello everyone! So w203's sunroof and I presume most if not all sunroofs open fully backwards and reveal basically a full on window on your car's roof, and the other way is they open UP which basically opens up a small gap no big than like 3 fingers to just let in some air. So my problem is my sunroof opens fully backwards but cannot open up. I did a reset with the key as I saw many videos recommend that, but still it only opens backwards and not upwards. I also changed the whole motor but that didn't solve the problem. So what could the issue be? Could it be the button itself that inside the car or is it something else?
Old 08-31-2023, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 199 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Did you resync the sunroof? Basically it involves moving the sunroof to each extreme position (fully back, fully forward etc.), then letting go of the button and then "holding" the button again in the same direction of travel for 2s or so. For example, once the sunroof is fully back (ie open), let go of the switch, the hold the switch again in the "back" position for 2 seconds. Now repeat for forward, then up, then down. You might have to do each extreme a couple of times.

This has to be done whenever the battery is disconnected. FYI this sync function also applies to all of the sliding windows.
Old 08-31-2023, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C220 w203
Originally Posted by slammer111
Did you resync the sunroof? Basically it involves moving the sunroof to each extreme position (fully back, fully forward etc.), then letting go of the button and then "holding" the button again in the same direction of travel for 2s or so. For example, once the sunroof is fully back (ie open), let go of the switch, the hold the switch again in the "back" position for 2 seconds. Now repeat for forward, then up, then down. You might have to do each extreme a couple of times.

This has to be done whenever the battery is disconnected. FYI this sync function also applies to all of the sliding windows.
Yes I have synced it. Actually I did that process around 5 times yesterday but it still doesn’t open UP only backwards
Old 09-03-2023, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 199 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Might be a failed end switch. Unfortunately the sunroof is a subassembly, which means that parts will be very difficult to obtain. Hopefully the dealer has it in their system.