C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Does your car shake when you rev it?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does your car shake when you rev it?

When the car is in neutral and I rev the engine I can feel the car sway from side to side, not majorly, but it does so i thought i'd ask here if everyones is the same.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2004, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
It sounds like the motor mounts need replacement.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Banned

my car can also felt the shake when i rev my car while the car is in neutral and in 0 mph. my car is a c230 coupe
Old 11-10-2004, 10:27 AM

2005 C230 Sedan 6spd
It shakes when I'm in neutral......its like motor is trying to jump out. but only when I rev moderate to hard.....but its like this from day one. I don't see this as a problem.

You never seen a muscle car rev his engine and the whole car shakes? (Not saying my C230 is a muscle car, but go rent 2FAST2Furious.....You'll see what I mean)
Old 11-10-2004, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
A sway and a shake are to diferent things guys and gals! The engine is mounted in the RWD config and will make the car sway when rev'ing due the the crank rotation. It is a spinning mass and if it was not held down by motor mounts the rotational force would actually spin the engine around! A FWD engine with is tranvers mounting will make the car sway front to back. It is totally normal and more obvious in an I-6 engine bay. V-8's and V-6's will do the same thing. It all depends on if they are counter balanced as well on how far they will make the car sway.

Now shaking is not a good normal thing. I have only felt my Coupe shake once in the 2 years we have had it. It did it briefly for less than a second. Normally I can not even tell the engine is running, unless of course I rev it and make it sway. Now my 190E is a diferent story, I can feel that engine running and it has the slightest of shakes. But that is due to old fuel injectors and I just have not replaced them yet. But everytime I add fuel injector cleaner it gets a little better. I think they are leaking somewhat due to age. The are only $25 a pop so nect week they will be new.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
The 'sway' is normal. Any engine will do this when reved in neutral. Its the torque reaction created by the motor. As Jamie says, shaking is a different matter.

Every Kompressor engine Ive driven has had a little shake about 30 seconds afterstartup as the bypass closes. I think this breifly upsets the mapping, causing the slight shake which passes in a couple of seconds.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
my 6-cylinder eng. doesn't shake.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:43 AM

Location: From Oxnard; living in Ocean View Hills, San Diego, CA
'01 C320 SS
Originally Posted by mick1
my 6-cylinder eng. doesn't shake.
Mine did for awhile...it was 2 broken motor mounts.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:06 AM

300E
I see many C230's engine shakes, but not in the V6.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:19 AM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by CHATMANR
Mine did for awhile...it was 2 broken motor mounts.
Do you get a error on the screen? Or you just feel its rough during idle? How do you know it needs to be replaced? thanks...
Old 11-11-2004, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
V engines normaly shake a little bit.

L engines, like c230 don't have to shake. Mine don't shake at all.

Maybe you have a engine mount off or a injection problem.

Best Regards.

Ruben.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Originally Posted by Noble C320
Do you get a error on the screen? Or you just feel its rough during idle? How do you know it needs to be replaced? thanks...
I dont know about the MBs, I cant imagine there being a sensor for giant rubber bushing! But when my mounts were broken on my Jeep, the way I found out was to open the hood and look through the cowl to watch the engine. I put it in gear and held the brake and gave it a little gas. If the mount is broken you will see the engine lift signifiacantly on one side depending on the direction of rotation of the axle. (Normally the engine will lift an inch or so, anymore than that is a good sign something is loose or broken) Doing the same but in reverse will let you know if the other one is broken. If both are broken get it fixed asap cause you will be torqing the transmision and its mount. I highly doubt your engine mounts can be bad, it takes along time for the rubber to dry out enough to fail or extreme abuse like power breaking without matching the revs or holding the brakes while reving.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
I dont know about the MBs, I cant imagine there being a sensor for giant rubber bushing! But when my mounts were broken on my Jeep, the way I found out was to open the hood and look through the cowl to watch the engine. I put it in gear and held the brake and gave it a little gas. If the mount is broken you will see the engine lift signifiacantly on one side depending on the direction of rotation of the axle. (Normally the engine will lift an inch or so, anymore than that is a good sign something is loose or broken) Doing the same but in reverse will let you know if the other one is broken. If both are broken get it fixed asap cause you will be torqing the transmision and its mount. I highly doubt your engine mounts can be bad, it takes along time for the rubber to dry out enough to fail or extreme abuse like power breaking without matching the revs or holding the brakes while reving.
Thanks for the explanation. I Appreciate it. I think I will have it checked just to make sure everything is ok.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
No but I do after I pee
Old 11-12-2004, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally Posted by LorinserCClass
No but I do after I pee
Just as violently?
Old 11-12-2004, 09:33 AM

Location: From Oxnard; living in Ocean View Hills, San Diego, CA
'01 C320 SS
Originally Posted by Noble C320
No errors on the screen. When the car was in drive, but stopped; you could really feel the vibrations going through the whole cabin. The was when you left from a stoplight, or when you were in reverse. I really thought the car would shake itself apart!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Originally Posted by vadim
Just as violently?

Yes, I will have to take myself into Service A to make sure everything is ok.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by CHATMANR
No errors on the screen. When the car was in drive, but stopped; you could really feel the vibrations going through the whole cabin. The was when you left from a stoplight, or when you were in reverse. I really thought the car would shake itself apart!

Way yo test motor mounts is as follows. Open hood so you can see engine from drivers seat. Put car in Drive with foot on the gas. You should see the engine go to the passenger side slightly due to the rotation of the engines inards. The most pressure when in drive is on the passenger motor mount. Then do reverse with brake held, engine should shift somewhat to the drivers side. When in reverse the most pressure is on the drivers side mount. If you get the shakes mostly in reverse then most likely the drivers side mount is shot. If you get them more when in drive but not reverse then the passenger one is shot. If one or the other is bad it will shake most likely in either direction, but which gear it is in and shakes the most will let you know what side it is most of the time. There is also a tranny mount as well. The motor mounts should be hydrolic in nature, I assume because my W201 has them and I don't see why MB would go backwards in design. These mounts have hydrolic fluid in them and two chambers, top and bottom, with small pass throughs in the middle. This is what should keep the engine pretty smooth. My 190E has the shakes a little but that is due to old worn and tired injectors. My C230K Coupe's 1.8 engine idles smooth as glass and you can not even feel it running or see it moving when idling and the hood is open. So if you got the shakes you must have some problem, could be mounts and it could be fuel or spark related. In my W201's case I replaced the motor mounts and tranny mounts and it helped a little but the shakes clean up more with a good does of Injector Cleaner, so time to get new injectors for me. Not bad enough for me to rush and order, but yours sounds like it is time for a shop visit.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by mctwin2kman
My C230K Coupe's 1.8 engine idles smooth as glass and you can not even feel it running or see it moving when idling
That's because its made of metal, you can't see through it

Seriously, if your engine is shaking or moving around at idle, youve got issues.