C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Display Malfunction Message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C280 4MATIC
Display Malfunction Message

Hello- I drive a 2006 C280 4Matic and I'm getting this message on the main display in the dash "Display Malfunction Visit Workshop". Based on this, none of the turn signal are working, hazards light , and auto light aren’t working properly. Neither are the reverse indicator lights working outside. All of my backlights are on while driving making it seem as if I am braking constantly. If this a fuse issue, if so can anyone guide me before I take if to a dealership? I’m open to learning !
Old 03-12-2024, 11:18 AM

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
I had the same message you had once. In my case, it was caused by a defective steering wheel interface module I installed that enabled me to use the steering wheel controls with an after-market head unit. If you don't have an after-market head unit, you can rule out that potential cause.

Some of the issues seem like they could be caused by a defective front Signal Acquisition and Activation Module. (This part is usually called the "Front SAM" for short.) There is also a Rear SAM that could be involved. Another potential trouble spot is the light switch.

I suggest that you have someone scan your car with the MB Star system or another scanner that can read Mercedes fault codes. (A basic OBD scanner is not able to do this.) This should help to narrow down the range of potential causes of your problem. I don't recommend that you start "throwing parts at the problem" until you have more clarity about the cause.

It is good that you are open to learning about these cars. I think most of us on the forum have been in your position at one time. In my case, I think I am still learning about the W203 works. Please consider searching on terms like "Front SAM" and "Rear SAM." You may run across a thread that discusses an identical problem.

Good luck.

Last edited by KevinH2000; 03-12-2024 at 11:22 AM.