C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Some stereo/teleaid weirdness after getting stepper motors replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320
Some stereo/teleaid weirdness after getting stepper motors replaced

I've recently been gifted a 2002 C320 from my father-in-law that was in pretty good shape except some failing stepper motors keeping the main vents from blowing. I looked up a local Mercedes mechanic that was well rated to get a general service done to get a new baseline, and to fix the failing stepper motors. I ended up paying them more than I'd care to admit fixing the stepper motors, and the vents are all now working great at least. I have had to take it back once already to fix an issue with no audio output from the stock comand head unit when I picked it up, which they grumpily fixed. The issue is that now I've also noticed a teleaid error popping up as a malfunction in the dash, and the audio/phone system no longer showing up as connected in the instrument cluster (no steering wheel volume controls now either). The stock AUX port is also no longer working in the glove box (though the 6 CD changer is), and the comand head unit doesn't shut off right away like it used to when the car is shut off. And when driving earlier for a longer distance earlier today, the stereo gave me an error "Please turn on the ignition or else comand will shut off in 3 minutes". No other dash errors, and I checked the battery/charging system, and everything seems to be working fine.

The experience so far with this mechanic has not been great, they've complained about this job being annoying ever since I got it back, and I'm not sure if they'd actually fix any potential wiring issues that might require taking the dash off. I'm at the point where I've already taken the head unit out myself to ensure everything is plugged in correctly so far (it appears to be), and I've also checked the main hook-up for the AUX cable in the door area (also appears fine). Is there something deeper in the dash that they could have hooked up incorrectly to cause these problems? Would it require them or me taking apart most of the dash again to fix things? None of these things are showstoppers, mostly minor annoyances except for the AUX port which I was heavily using before.