C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Retrofitting OEM options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2024, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 mercedes c230 kompressor
Retrofitting OEM options

So my C230 appears to be missing a lot of the factory upgrade options, Just guessing this by all the buttons missing on the dash. Does anyone know which of these optional extras already have wiring for them and might be able to be installed used from another car without too much effort? for example the heated seats, would those be something I could just find in a scrap car and plug in and go? Just looking for stuff to add and OEM retrofits seem like the least difficult.
Old 09-24-2024, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 214 Likes on 204 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
The stuff attached to the switches are not the only options missing for most cars. An easy example would be powered seats, which require new modules in the door, and new seats with motors.

For the heated seats, I'd imagine the wiring is missing as well. Best way would be to check underneath the seats and see if there are any "extra" unused connectors.

There are other options that can be added without too much difficulty if you're handy. Examples include the CD changer, phone (Bluetooth) capability, and voice control (Linguatronic). These are "dealer installed options", and these cars come with all of the required wiring.

Last edited by slammer111; 09-24-2024 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2024, 03:32 PM

Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
I retrofitted the seat memory in my car

Based on my experience with the seat memory project, I expect that you could retrofit other options such as seat heaters. The reason I believe this is that most of the systems in the W203 are controlled through the CAN BUS. If the control for the option you want to retrofit is connected to the CAN BUS, and the component is connected to the CAN BUS, the control should be able to send a signal to the component.

I didn't need to retrofit seat heaters to my car because my car came with them installed. If I needed to add heated seats, I think that I would need to purchase a dash control from a car with seat heaters. (The control should be available on eBay, Car-Part.com or from your local Pick and Pull.) You would also need heated seats. You will likely need to connect the heated seats to the CAN BUS, and you may need to use MB Star/Xentry to activate the system in your car. The process I followed for adding seat memory shows the basic outline of the process, but there are likely to be slight variations for adding different options.

Good luck if you decide to embark on a project.