C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2004 C230 Coupe steering drifting?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 03:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
2004 C230 Coupe steering drifting?

I've had a new 2004 C230 Coupe (the hatchback) for about six months now, and I keep getting this problem where the steering center drifts. Before I had it aligned at the dealer, it was shifted to the right. Now, after about two months, the center has shifted to the left.

I'd like to find out (and this would apply to all C-class models, I would think) if anyone else is having this problem. I have a suspicion that it may have to do with the security system, where it seems that, when the key is removed, the steering wheel is disconnected from the steering column and, when reconnected, it is not aligning right. Anyway, I'd like to get the opinions of the more experienced members out there.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:10 PM

bump
Old 12-16-2004, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240
when you drive your car is it going to the left? the sterring wheel will not be completely straight if the road isnt completely straight. i have the same problem when i drive on a left lane the sterring wheel is a little to the left abd when i drive on the right lane the steering wheel is a little to the right.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
The steering wheel is fixed to the column all the time. Its an electronic lock.

Youre problem is most likely tramlining, all C Class cars with big tires(in fact, most cars in general with big front tires) do it to some degree. My Coupe will tramline on some sections of the freeway with my C7's, but when the smaller, more flexible 16"s are on for winter, its rarely has any.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
the guy at this website claims that all cars are designed to veer slightly to the right. don't know if that's true or not.

"All vehicles are designed to veer slightly to the right when hands are taken off the steering wheel to prevent head-on collisions should someone fall a sleep while driving."

http://www.2carpros.com/topics/allign.htm
Old 12-18-2004, 02:44 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
I am certain that I don't believe the "supposed to veer to the right" philosophy. The car *WILL* veer to the right slightly when you're driving on crowned roads (i.e. where the center of the road is higher than either side, thereby promoting better water drainage.)

If you've ruled-out tramlining and alignment, I'd probably have you check your tire pressures again. A variance of 2 or 3 PSI is enough to cause a slight pull (due to increased drag) to one side.

Also, go to an independent 4-wheel-alignment shop. Have them do an alignment with you in the car. This will allow the suspension to compress to your normal driving position and, when the car is aligned, the geometry should be set correctly for your weight on that side of the car.

Bob
Old 12-18-2004, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by rtking
I am certain that I don't believe the "supposed to veer to the right" philosophy. The car *WILL* veer to the right slightly when you're driving on crowned roads (i.e. where the center of the road is higher than either side, thereby promoting better water drainage.)

If you've ruled-out tramlining and alignment, I'd probably have you check your tire pressures again. A variance of 2 or 3 PSI is enough to cause a slight pull (due to increased drag) to one side.

Also, go to an independent 4-wheel-alignment shop. Have them do an alignment with you in the car. This will allow the suspension to compress to your normal driving position and, when the car is aligned, the geometry should be set correctly for your weight on that side of the car.

Bob

So you're saying I'm fat.

Just kidding. Anyway, I will check tire pressure. I'm not sure I believe the all cars should pull right, but it does make a certain amount of sense. The car does pull on crowned roads, but so does every other car. I try to test on flat freeways in the very center lane at about 60-70 mph. Maybe that's not a good test.

If anything else, I'll see if my dealer will allow what you suggest. I appreciate all the responses here; you guys are great!

Last edited by jedcred; 12-18-2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I don't think you will find a flat road regardless how many lanes there are. Water will always be drained to one side or the other. Now that is not counting the slight depressions left by continual usage of heavy trucks.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
how about the tires' groove pattern ? do they contribute to the veering issue ? the tires on the c-class got a funny pattern: the inner grooves are different than the outer grooves (see the picture)
Attached Thumbnails 2004 C230 Coupe steering drifting?-tire.jpg  
Old 12-18-2004, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by mick1
how about the tires' groove pattern ? do they contribute to the veering issue ? the tires on the c-class got a funny pattern: the inner grooves are different than the outer grooves (see the picture)
This statement is only valid on the tires supplied with your SS and does not necessarily translate to tires supplied with other vehicles, non sport or otherwise.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:31 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by mick1
Naw... a tire's tread might contribute to tramlinking (following grooves on the road) but it shouldn't contribute to veering.

The solid inner and center treads help to reduce road noise from the tread (aka "road hum") Also, the solid tread increases "Rubber to Void" ratio which helps in dry roadholding. The outer tread is usually in blocks (except performance tires like R compound tires and the old Yokohama A008) because it helps to displace water when you're cornering and there's a load on the shoulder of the tire. (The solid outer shoulder on R compounds is done to maximize cornering without consideration for displacing any standing water.)

Bob
Old 12-18-2004, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Pulling to one side....

...was fixed on my car by the dealer installing different camber bolts