C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

It was a pleasure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes-Benz
It was a pleasure

After some idiot this past November 11th went through a stop sign and totaled my 01 c240… my life has been total drama fighting with the insurance company to replace it. They will not and are offering me almost $23,000.00. With that amount, it’s not possible to buy a new c240 Benz, so after many hours crying and researching cars I like, I’m buying a new Pontiac G6. Yes, I know I will kick myself later… but I need a car within the price I’m getting.

It was a dear pleasure chatting with all of you the past couple of months. I have learned a lot of good information and just want to thank you all.

As one door closes, another one opens. Now I have to learn all about a new car, and a new company I know nothing about. I will miss my c240, but that’s life. Maybe after I sue the car insurance company or the person that hit me, I will once again have a Mercedes-Benz. One can always dream.

Enjoy your Mercedes-Benz cars because I look up to all of you.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Originally Posted by rockintunes23
I’m buying a new Pontiac G6.

Buy a several year old Lexus GS!

Last edited by Jim Banville; 12-21-2004 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
Lightbulb Gone GM

Mr. rockintunes23:

Congrats on your new car. I probably won't bring another German made vehicle to the USA ever again... with the ones I have here in the US I have plenty enough headaches every time any car goes into service... somehow, each time any cars goes in, on its way out, something, anything does not work or its broken, all very minor things, samples are --not restricted to, listed in no particular order--: car comes out of service, dash lights DO NOT work, problem? some coding that the dealer changed that simply disabled the lights... another time, car comes out of service A, convenience feature does not work... problem??... door control module fried at dealership (took 3 months to get the right door control module AND I lost the auto fold capability on the power electric mirrors after the module was replaced, another time, car goes into service, on its way out one of the headlamp washer doors srping was broken and the little door was just popped open... solution??... wait another 3 weeks for an "appt" to pop out the bumper and get the spring replaced... another time??... lol... car goes into service.. on its way out, all plastic pins that secure the trunk side pannels were MISSING!!!... thus the side pannels were totally loose!... and the list goes on and on... again... nothing major... but very dissapointing.. thankfully, mechanically speaking the car hasn't given ANY problems... I could only imagine what would it be like if the car did!. I thought MBs serv dpt was bad... OMG... BMW is WORSE! (operators hang up / drop the lines on the customer, loaners are NOT BMWs...

GMs... well.. though even on Corvettes, most dealerships do not offer "free" loaners (they are "very" happy to call enterprise rent a car for ya... that is about it...) anything that goes wrong with a GM car.. at least in my experience, it is fixed... and fixed right.

In Europe however, I have never had the kinds of problems I have with ANY German made car (from Porsche, VW, BMW, MB).

I am sure I'll be chewed up for other forum members

Cheers

Wiedermann

Last edited by Wiedermann; 12-21-2004 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-21-2004, 10:24 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
you could get a 01 C240 or 320 for that price. If you look around.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:52 PM

05 CLK 320
yhea i think you can probably got a old BMW 330 for that price, with very few miles, just look around buddy

but any way good luck.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Guest0001

Bro go japanese atleast. Maybe a TSX? That should be around your budget with some bargaining easily. Post from time to time, dont be a stranger!
Old 12-24-2004, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
agreed, id rather get a TSX than a G6. they are nice. but id rather have german than japanese. either way its up to up, good luck!
Old 12-25-2004, 01:28 AM

Mercedes C32SC AMG
Are you sure about G6? Why are you buying G6? You can buy C320 of 2001 year for the same price...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...514343489&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...513742804&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...513642519&rd=1

Last edited by MersAMG; 12-25-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:18 PM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
Oh Dear Lord. C240 to a "First ever G6"? Probably the "Last ever G6" as well.

Here's my short list (in alphabetical order) of cars around 23k:

Acura RSK
BMW E36 M3 (used)
Honda S2000 (used)
IS300 (used)
Subaru Forrester 2.5 XT (faster than a Boxster)
Toyota Corolla XRS (0-60 in 7.1)

-Mark
Old 12-25-2004, 04:04 PM

C320 Coupe
I'd go for the slightly used Mercedes over a GM. Maybe consider the Chrysler 300 if you want domestic. I've always had good luck with my Chryslers. You should be able to get an 02 C240 or for a little more cash an 03 C240 or C230. If bought from a stealer, it should have a certified-pre-owned warranty.

Carmax is listing on 02 C240 with 12K miles for 24,998 and an 04 C240 with 19K miles for 27,998. The insurance company should give you what the dealers are asking for your car plus tax and tags.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:10 PM

too many to list
the pontican g6 isnt that bad you sound sad man....its all good one day you will have the c back sue that motherfuker and you dum *** insurance company. if your car got totalled they should write it off and let you get another c
Old 12-25-2004, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Originally Posted by Wiedermann

Cheers

Wiedermann

Nah I agree w/you weidermann. I have had a few german cars in the last couple years(VW/Audi/MB) and I feel the same way, yet I keep buying german lol go figure.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Banned

Mercedes-Benz
I'm still upset about the whole accident... I'm so upset that I'm feeling more and more everyday that I want a TRUCK. YES, I said Truck. One of those Dodge RAM SVT (viper engine) trucks. haha
Old 12-27-2004, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
G6 isn't that bad of car really. Its a Saab 9-3 with different sheetmetal, and a pushrod V6 taking the place of the turbo four. Stop being such snobs you guys. Great styling at anyrate- looks like the shape Honda was going for with the latest Accord- before they chickened out and leaned far over into the usual boring *** conservative wrapper. I'm sure with the rebates, the G6 is a screaming deal, and loaded of course. Go for it.

I'd go look at the Mazda 6 also, or even the Altima- its getting a bit old, but the engine still kicks ***. And as others have pointed out, what's wrong with a used Benz?
Old 12-27-2004, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 c320 - 2002 ml55 - 2011 c300 - 2014 slk350 - 2015 cla45
Mr. rockintunes23:

Congrats on your new car. I probably won't bring another German made vehicle to the USA ever again... with the ones I have here in the US I have plenty enough headaches every time any car goes into service... somehow, each time any cars goes in, on its way out, something, anything does not work or its broken, all very minor things, samples are --not restricted to, listed in no particular order--: car comes out of service, dash lights DO NOT work, problem? some coding that the dealer changed that simply disabled the lights... another time, car comes out of service A, convenience feature does not work... problem??... door control module fried at dealership (took 3 months to get the right door control module AND I lost the auto fold capability on the power electric mirrors after the module was replaced, another time, car goes into service, on its way out one of the headlamp washer doors srping was broken and the little door was just popped open... solution??... wait another 3 weeks for an "appt" to pop out the bumper and get the spring replaced... another time??... lol... car goes into service.. on its way out, all plastic pins that secure the trunk side pannels were MISSING!!!... thus the side pannels were totally loose!... and the list goes on and on... again... nothing major... but very dissapointing.. thankfully, mechanically speaking the car hasn't given ANY problems... I could only imagine what would it be like if the car did!. I thought MBs serv dpt was bad... OMG... BMW is WORSE! (operators hang up / drop the lines on the customer, loaners are NOT BMWs...

GMs... well.. though even on Corvettes, most dealerships do not offer "free" loaners (they are "very" happy to call enterprise rent a car for ya... that is about it...) anything that goes wrong with a GM car.. at least in my experience, it is fixed... and fixed right.

In Europe however, I have never had the kinds of problems I have with ANY German made car (from Porsche, VW, BMW, MB).

Cheers

Wiedermann

sounds like you need to find a new stealership.... i was having similar probs out here with kansas citys "aristocrat motors"......... countless number of little things... seems like they lack attention to fine detail.. as of date... ive been very pleased with a brand new dealership out here -jay wolfe european motors-
Old 12-27-2004, 01:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 c320 - 2002 ml55 - 2011 c300 - 2014 slk350 - 2015 cla45

Mr. rockintunes23:

Wiedermann

sounds like you need to find a new stealership.... i was having similar probs out here with kansas citys "aristocrat motors"......... countless number of little things... seems like they lack attention to fine detail.. as of date... ive been very pleased with a brand new dealership out here -jay wolfe european motors-
Old 12-27-2004, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Lightbulb German made cars

Originally Posted by LorinserCClass
Nah I agree w/you weidermann. I have had a few german cars in the last couple years(VW/Audi/MB) and I feel the same way, yet I keep buying german lol go figure.
Mr LorinserCClass:

LOL... for those like yourself with experience owning German made cars, though great cars, I've learned that outside of the motherland, dealers simply don't know what they are doing.

Like yourself, I somewhat have kept buying German made cars to use outside Germany/Austria... one brand I have not and WILL NOT purchase ever outside of the motherland is Porsche. My last experience with a brand new one was back in 87... wow... time flies... car new had nothing but problems... amazingly, as soon as the car got shipped home, the "problem" was identified and fixed what local dealers here were unable to do in almost 2 years that I had it... lesson learned on that brand (I head dealerships are doing "much better" in the USA today... however, I will not take my chances again... having the car almost every week at the delaership was not fun).

GM and local US "made" --cause some of them are not even made in the US..lol-- have problems also, BUT... in my experience, they all have been fixed without further complications.

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 12-27-2004, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
So, Porsche couldn't have changed in 17 years, huh? Come to think of it, in 17 years all cars have become very reliable. 17 years ago, what was flawlessly reliable? My 1989 Accord wasn't. The folks always had Jeeps when I was growing up...not much ever broke.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Mr. Wiedermann,

Sorry to hear that you've had such bad experiences with German made cars. But I've got to tell you, getting an American made car is not necessarily the solution. I have had similar problems with Ford, my wife's old Dodge spent quite a bit of time in the service bay, and our Jeep Grand Cherokee spent some time going up and down as well. In contrast, I have not had any issues with my current Mercedes, or the Mercedes that I had years ago (although that was in the "MontherLand", so maybe that doesn't count.) My wife has also owned a BMW, and we had nothing but good luck with that car. After 3 years, the windshield washer pump stopped working. That's the only problem we had with it.

I just wanted to point out that it's not where the car is made, and that one could experience the same issues with a GM.

rockintunes23, maybe it's just me, but $23K sounds like a good payout on a 2001 C240. I would look into the G6 a little more before you decide to make the purchase. There are many other cars in that price range that I would pick before the "Oprah Car". If you can expand your selection to 1-3 year old used cars, you can really get something nice for that price.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Lightbulb Problem: Car, Solution: ?

Having owned several US name brands (ie Fords, Gms, etc) I have seen my share of problems on them... worse my wife used to work for GM, so problems that I never had with some of my cars, thankfully, I got to hear about them as she knew personally the head of the Claims/Warranty for Gm.

Cars are never exempt from having problems. I see the service my German made cars get in Europe and I have seen the service of German made cars in the USA... there is much to be desired about "customer service" in some cases.

Cheers

Wiedermann
Old 12-27-2004, 12:43 PM

2002 C240 - 2000 540iT
Originally Posted by Outland
Stop being such snobs you guys.
Hey Outland,

You don't have to be a snob to recognize sub-par fit and finish, low quality interior materials with badly molded plastic, and a coarse engine. Although the G6 has a nicely styled exterior, the interior is where the owner will be spending his/her time... Just my $.02

-Mark
Old 12-27-2004, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Take a plane to ATL with your insurance check in hand and give it to this guy!
Old 12-27-2004, 04:03 PM

'01 ML430, '03 C320 Coupe MT, '14 GL450
Originally Posted by rockintunes23
They will not and are offering me almost $23,000.00. With that amount, it’s not possible to buy a new c240 Benz, so after many hours crying and researching cars I like, I’m buying a new Pontiac G6. Yes, I know I will kick myself later… but I need a car within the price I’m getting.
You can certainly find a good used '01 or '02 C240 with less than 40,000 miles for $23k. You can't expect the insurance company to compensate you for your loss with a 2004 C240. It's your choice, but I would definitely buy a good used MB before I buy a GM product.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by markseven
Hey Outland,

You don't have to be a snob to recognize sub-par fit and finish, low quality interior materials with badly molded plastic, and a coarse engine. Although the G6 has a nicely styled exterior, the interior is where the owner will be spending his/her time... Just my $.02

-Mark
I have not been in the G6 yet....I think they are just showing up at dealers now. However, based on my experience in driving the Saab 9-3, and having sat in the new Malibu(also same car- borish styling) IMHO, the materials and fit are a step up from normal GM, and probably better than low rent Nissan, or EEEK, FORD.

The 3.5L pushrod engine from all accounts is very quiet, and accellerates on par with the Toyota Camry V6, which has more HP. I'm not trying to say the car is in the same class with MB, but I don't think its all that bad either. OTOH, the C240 is built in Brazil, and there's plenty of poor quality experiences on these pages to make you think twice before you put the C240 up on a pedestal.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Outland
OTOH, the C240 is built in Brazil, and there's plenty of poor quality experiences on these pages to make you think twice before you put the C240 up on a pedestal.

C240's made in Brazil are NOT for the US market. USA bound C240's are made in Germany.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: It was a pleasure