C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

audi A4 or C-class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi A4 or C-class

going to lease a car for daily use. compare between C class sedon and a audi A4. which 1 is a better car? Both car is same MSRP, and i am going to put $6000 down total.For 36 month lease mercedes is $340 per month but audi is $70 less per month than the C....... I have a new porsche 911S, and living in NY. which is a better car for me, need some advice.
thx

Last edited by boquanzhu; 01-11-2005 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:24 AM

09 ML350
I also compared those two vehicles. You're right, the A4 costs a little less....but after I test drove the C class, I made up my mind. The C felt a lot more solid...plus the A4 is getting a full redesign for 2006.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes CLS 350 , BMW E46 320i ( Facelifted ), Toyota Sera
The C class is also getting a complete redesign in 2006 ....
Old 01-11-2005, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
here is my advice. Use the search feature. This topic has been discussed over and over.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:16 AM

2013 E350 Bluetec, 2008 Audi S4 Avant, 2011 VW Golf TDI, 2015 Audi S3, 2020 GLB250
I have both cars

Mercedes: Lighting package, sunroof, entertainment package, auto
Audi: Xenon, Bose, sunroof, sports package, 5-speed

PROS
Mercedes: Lots of luxury options, smooth ride, quieter cabin on highways, sporty exhaust tones, big brakes, Mercedes loaner

Audi: Sports suspension, all wheel drive, better interior materials, more fun to drive (because it's a manual...not sure if I would feel the same if it's auto).

CONS
Mercedes: No free maintainance, feels heavy/sluggish off the line.

Audi: Sports suspension makes the ride pretty rough, road noise, Dodge Neon loaner cars, not as sporty looking.

At the end of the day, if I want a fun car I would take the Audi over the Mercedes. If I want to enjoy my ride and just cruise around, I take the Mercedes. The Audi is a manual, which gives it a great advantage in terms of fun to drive. Never driven a manual C or a auto A4, so can't really offset the bias.

Since you already have a fun car, I would say go with the C-class
Old 01-11-2005, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
the current A4 is pretty nice looking but i like the look of the C230SS/C320SS better.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Classic debate between these two models.

If you comparing a non-sport C-Class to the A4, then in terms of ride, the MB will have a smoother ride. The non-sport A4 is acutally a pretty smooth ride but IMO, the C-Class takes it (nonsport comparison).

Looks, IMO, the C-Class SS takes it as well. More of a "agressive" look to the car. But I like the look of the A4 sport all personal preference.

Materials wise/Interior, I think it goes to the A4. The materials are of high quality, SOLID feel, well placed, etc. Audi has also been the benchmark of interior materials/quality for automakers.

Options, I think both are the same, just about. In terms of standard features, the A4 may have an edge, such as split/fold rear seats, dual zone digital climate control, telescopic/tilt steering wheel, standard 6 CD in-dash changer, included scheduled maintenance.

Safety, both are very safe cars and both were picked by the IIHS for crash tests. MB has the extra two standard rear side airbags, but both include dual front driver/passenger and side airbags and curtain airbags.

Both the C-Class and the A4 are getting redesigns. The redesigned A4 is already out in Europe and will hit the states Feb/March. A few more things are standard on the redesigned A4 than the current model and a new engine line up, both 2.0T (good for 200hp/210Tq) and the 3.2(255hp) with FSI, fuel straight injection. The C-Class will get the new 3.5 (272hp) but not sure about the 1.8l.

All in all, you should go for the one that best suits your needs and the price difference is not that great either, so you should definitely go for the one that YOU want and which ever one feels fits you better.

Both are great cars
Old 01-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
My opinion? $6k is way too much to put down for a lease.

As far as other things, it's a lease, so reliability is not really an issue. Test drive both, and get the one you like better.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would get the Audi if it's cheaper. It's a really nice car and you get free maintenance. I've gotten used to free maintenance with the MB and couldn't imagine buying an MB anymore now that they dropped it. The free maintenance has got to save you 2K over the 4 years and that's another $40/mo you are saving. Also, around these parts, the Audi is more unique.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
I would get the Audi if it's cheaper. It's a really nice car and you get free maintenance. I've gotten used to free maintenance with the MB and couldn't imagine buying an MB anymore now that they dropped it. The free maintenance has got to save you 2K over the 4 years and that's another $40/mo you are saving. Also, around these parts, the Audi is more unique.
I was really surprised at how nice the A4 was when I went to test drive it. It definitely surpassed my expectations on a entry level luxury car. As well this is the 4th year production for the current B6 chassis and most, if not all, the bugs have been worked out. I've had my car for 4 months now, 6k miles and no problems at all (mechanically or electrically), only one minor interior annoyance such as my drivers seat creaking when turning, accelerating or braking
Old 01-11-2005, 12:29 PM

CLK320
...free maintenance...
Not to state the obvious but unfortunately nothing is free - it is built into the price.

It is sort of like the TV ad's (that work really well) - "Buy our super deluxe Carrot Wacker Pro for only five payments of $49.95 and get the way cool mega knife for free, you only pay the ($19) additional shipping charge".

Pay now, or pay later - your going to pay either way.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:36 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
The Audi A4 is a great car and you get a lot of features for the money. But one thing that bothered me on my 2002 A4 Avant was the center console. It feels fine during a test drive and even driving around town... but if you take an extended drive (2 hours or more) I found my right knee rubbed against the console and was sore. I never experienced this from my 1997 Audi A4 so I ended-up selling the 2002 Avant. The C-Coupe I picked-up for the fiancee has been fantastic... no knee rubbing or other ergonomic problems at all. I drove that car from Ft. Worth to Los Angeles, then to San Francisco and back to Los Angeles (SF-LA-SF in one day I might add) and to Las Vegas and back to Los Angeles. No problems in comfort at all.

Bob
Old 01-11-2005, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by rtking
The Audi A4 is a great car and you get a lot of features for the money. But one thing that bothered me on my 2002 A4 Avant was the center console. It feels fine during a test drive and even driving around town... but if you take an extended drive (2 hours or more) I found my right knee rubbed against the console and was sore. I never experienced this from my 1997 Audi A4 so I ended-up selling the 2002 Avant. The C-Coupe I picked-up for the fiancee has been fantastic... no knee rubbing or other ergonomic problems at all. I drove that car from Ft. Worth to Los Angeles, then to San Francisco and back to Los Angeles (SF-LA-SF in one day I might add) and to Las Vegas and back to Los Angeles. No problems in comfort at all.

Bob
unfortunately, this is still somewhat of a problem. I find myself resting my knee on the center console area too and sometimes it'll get sore if it's there for an extended period of time. That would be the only design flaw that I can find, besides the cup holder in the center arm rest (kinda hard to have drinks in there if you have the 6-speed).
Old 01-11-2005, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bryanm
Not to state the obvious but unfortunately nothing is free - it is built into the price.
Sure, but if all things where equal, the one with the free maintenance would be cheaper to own so to us, it has a distinct value, not a "maybe" value like a feature you may or may not use, everyone has to get their car maintained (unless it's stolen/totalled). So if he's already saving $70/mo on the lease payment, then saving another $40 or so per month just makes it an even better deal, even if he has to wear knee pads.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
since you already have a porsche, I'd go with the more comfortable mercedes... if possible, throw down another 150-200 per month and lease an e-class
Old 01-11-2005, 04:14 PM

CLK320
...free maintenance would be cheaper to own
We are both right and both wrong - it all depends on your driving pattern and geographic location. If you drive a lot in a harsh environment and need frequent maintenance, then the included (pre-paid) maintenance is probably a real bonus, but on the other hand if you drive very little (comparatively) and require infrequent maintenance, what is essentially a pre-paid maintenance contract costs more than it is worth.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 C230 Coupe
Sure, but if all things where equal, the one with the free maintenance would be cheaper to own so to us, it has a distinct value, not a "maybe" value like a feature you may or may not use, everyone has to get their car maintained (unless it's stolen/totalled). So if he's already saving $70/mo on the lease payment, then saving another $40 or so per month just makes it an even better deal, even if he has to wear knee pads.

Where do you get $40/month? The 2005's require service (A or B) every 12 months or 13k miles. $40/month works out to $480/year. I don't think even a B service runs that high.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
I love Vw/Audis but I'm not feeling the new redesigned A4. The currently one looks much better.
Attached Thumbnails audi A4 or C-class-004__scaled_600.jpg   audi A4 or C-class-005__scaled_600.jpg   audi A4 or C-class-003__scaled_600.jpg  
Old 01-11-2005, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rnisle
Where do you get $40/month? The 2005's require service (A or B) every 12 months or 13k miles. $40/month works out to $480/year. I don't think even a B service runs that high.
If you take today's price (remember this is for 4 years), the 4-5 services at most dealers would be about $1,000-1,400 depending on what they charge, my dealer charges $200 and $300 respectivly for A and B services. Besides inflation, what you are not factoring in are the timed based services outside of A and B. For example, transmission oil change, differential oil, brake fluid, air filter and radiator fluid that you will have to pay for. What most don't see is that they do these services are performed in time with the A/B services to avoid you coming in multiple times but if it's free you don't really notice it. I did the math with the dealer, it was about $2K, someplaces it's more and that's based on today's prices, 3-4 years from now it will go up.

So my $480/yr was based on the cost to have ALL scheduled maintenance performed by your dealer, not just A and B prorated over 4 years without any inflation factor and assuming you drive 50K miles in 4 years. But if it's not $40/mo, tell me how you arrived at your calculation for the cost of all maintenance over 4 years.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:08 PM

08' BMW E92 Coupe
I just went through the same thing. i ordered the C-class friday. about two weeks ago i test drove the A4 auto 1.8t w/ sport package. it's a great car, comfortable and felt solid. quattro is also a big pro. however, performance wise, it was a pig. wasn't able to test a manual, wish i could've. but overall, the A4 had a very heavy feel to it and you notice it most when your digging into the turns. I went with the C230k sport sedan. mainly b/c it's quicker and, i love the design of the interior better, and personally i think it takes the cake as far as looks. you really need to drive them both though and see for yourself. (i do like the steering wheel better in the A4 sport however).
Old 01-11-2005, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by mbny
I just went through the same thing. i ordered the C-class friday. about two weeks ago i test drove the A4 auto 1.8t w/ sport package. it's a great car, comfortable and felt solid. quattro is also a big pro. however, performance wise, it was a pig. wasn't able to test a manual, wish i could've. but overall, the A4 had a very heavy feel to it and you notice it most when your digging into the turns. I went with the C230k sport sedan. mainly b/c it's quicker and, i love the design of the interior better, and personally i think it takes the cake as far as looks. you really need to drive them both though and see for yourself. (i do like the steering wheel better in the A4 sport however).
ah, so you test drove the 5-speed Tip...slow as a dog! The 6-speed really makes a big difference in the way the car feels and accelerates. The A4 is a heavy one but is surefooted through the corners, even at high speeds, with the tight suspension of the sport package. But you made a great choice going with the C230k SS! Both are excellent cars
Old 01-11-2005, 07:50 PM

I am going to lease the audi, the final deal the audi is $65 less per month than the mercedes with same MSRP. I leave in NY, and when snow come, i cant drive the C class. When the sun comes out i will just enjoy my 911S :p
thx for all the help guys
Old 01-11-2005, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good choice. Good luck with it and stop by here for your next purchasing decision.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by boquanzhu
I am going to lease the audi, the final deal the audi is $65 less per month than the mercedes with same MSRP. I leave in NY, and when snow come, i cant drive the C class. When the sun comes out i will just enjoy my 911S :p
thx for all the help guys
awesome choice, hehe

post some pics when you do get it!!!
Old 01-11-2005, 09:26 PM

C320 Coupe
After driving both, I choose the C class. It may not be as good as a Quattro in the snow, but mine does ok on the ice with all season tires.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: audi A4 or C-class