C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Useful and useless options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2002 | 01:09 AM

Useful and useless options

I think what options to include or drop and do not exceed 29K price
so there are different choices:
stand. paint + premium pkg = 28,315
metallic paint + cloth + sunroof + C7 = 28,000
stand.paint + leather + sunroof + C7 = 28,770
stand.paint + power seats + sunroof + C7 = 28,585
I can survive without metallic paint and power seats but sunroof is a MUST. leather would be nice too but I have to drop C7 in this case.
Does C7 really worth the money?
Old 05-31-2002 | 02:21 AM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
for me, I would go for non metalic paint with C5 and C7 (a must).
Old 05-31-2002 | 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI

Memory seats are a MUST if you share the car with someone. Also makes getting into and out of the car much easier. Try messing with those manual seat adjustments then make a decision.

The roof is a MUST on this car (but you knew that already).

The C7 is worth much more than $750. The wheels alone cost $299/per. Short shifter is $200-$300 (I think that's what Bos paid). Plus you get a better(?) sounding exhaust and painted door handles to scratch. Just make sure you get snow tires if you drive it in snow.

Leather is nice but I could have lived with the oyster cloth.
Old 05-31-2002 | 08:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Cool My choice

would be:
metallic paint + cloth + sunroof + C7 = 28,000

The leather can always be added later for about the same price, and you can get more choices other than hot charcoal or stainable oyster.

Adding something similar to the C7 pkg will run you much more money; just the door handles alone make the package worthwhile. Of course, you could get a std. black car without the C7 pkg, and that would look fine, but only boring people get the black.

Or (this would be my choice), just get everything that you want, and rationalize it somehow. Do the math, and see how much more of a down payment or monthy payment you'd have to make. Shouldn't be too much. Don't forget that you have to live with this car for many years, so don't have any regrets!
Old 05-31-2002 | 10:15 AM

2002 C230K, 2001 Audi TT 225 Coupe
Must haves . .. .

I think are the C5 and C7 at the minimum. That should bring you in under your figure . . . my dealer took of 2%, threw in some all season mats and $50 certificate and I think you come in under $29k, about $28.5k.

In case of trade in or resale, you need the C5. It adds a bunch of value, IMO and the C7 is more than worth it price tag.

Have fun.
Old 05-31-2002 | 11:24 AM

2001 C240 / 6-speed

Without a doubt.

Leather is a dog - cloth is not only more comfortable but also grips your body better in corners.

Paint is paint, don't pay more than you have to

Power seats - I have them on my C240 and love them. I got a loaner C240 while having mine serviced the other day and it did not have power seats. Not only is adjusting them harder, but they did not have nearly the range of travel as the power seats, especially in tilting of the seat bottom. Very flat and uncomfortable. Compare them before you buy.

Sunroof - would not have a German car without one.

C7 - IQ test - if you don't order it you MUST have a low IQ
Old 05-31-2002 | 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
Originally posted by patronus
i regretted not getting the C7 for a while, but considering i drive in snow and don't really feel like changing my tires every winter, i'm now glad i didn't. the C7 is great if you live in southern california... not the northeast US.
Old 05-31-2002 | 11:54 AM

1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
Originally posted by session

the C7 is great if you live in southern california... not the northeast US.
Only for those too lazy to change every 2 seasons! Hope you don't plan on doing any real winter driving with those standard all seasons, I don't think you'll go very far in a snowstorm (safely anyway.)
Old 05-31-2002 | 11:57 AM

14 ML350 4MATIC
Even if you live in snow zone, you can change your tire to the all season by paying $150/tire. I think it is still deal. Nicer rim, body color handles, etc. This is a MUST.

And I never like the aftermarket leather, So pick the leather. This MB leather seat is a lot better than others. It has perforations on the seating area, it keeps the summer leather cool, and winter leather warm. But, it is your choice.

Power Seat??? What is this for if your are the only driver. I am not change my seat since the day I got mine. It is useless. Well, if you have a co-driver, that is different story.

I like my ROOF :p I think this is a must, too. And I like the rain sensor.

I didn't want to pay almost 700 dollars for the paint, and I love my white color. IMO metallic color fee is BS.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by MBSang; 05-31-2002 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-31-2002 | 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by avlis
Short shifter is $200-$300 (I think that's what Bos paid).
I think Bos said it was $415, plus two hours labor.

It's possible that the C7 arguement could be a moot point for ordering a new 2003 C230K since it (like all of the other "sport" options) wasn't listed on the options list nabzy (I think) posted a while back.

Cheers, BT
Old 05-31-2002 | 04:43 PM

1991 mr2 turbo, 2002 coupe
To answer the original question I'd go with:
Metallic- A cool car deserves a cool color (yes the charge sucks)
C7 - Read IQ test regardless of location
Put the remainder into either leather ( I feel its overpriced, but the cloth pattern is pretty nasty) or a CD changer (what I did)
As far as the sunroof- I found it to be very loud and intrusive of the cabin but it is cool no doubt. I was torn on it but my cheapness got the better of me on that one, besides from what I remember of it I don't really regret not getting it and I saved some heft too.
Old 05-31-2002 | 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Power Seat??? What is this for if your are the only driver. I am not change my seat since the day I got mine. It is useless. Well, if you have a co-driver, that is different story.
Note that the "easy-entry" feature powers the seat back and tilts the wheel all the way up to make getting in and out much less of a hassle. I briefly turned it off when I first got the car and constantly bashed my knees and struggled more to get in/out. I switched it back on immediatly.

As said before, you get more seat adjustment with the power option.

Also, I like to change my driving postion on long trips or for different conditions. I program a couple favorites into the memory and easily switch positions with the push of a button.

And another thing...with the power option the headrests power down when flipping the seatback forward (to access the rear seat). The manual seat headrests smash into the headliner mid-flip (so I'm told).
Old 06-01-2002 | 12:16 AM

Originally posted by zimmer26
To answer the original question I'd go with:
Metallic- A cool car deserves a cool color (yes the charge sucks)
C7 - Read IQ test regardless of location
Color choice is sparse and there are only 2 colors I can accept: silver or white. Black looks good only until car is clean. Red attracts too much attention. Silver imo looks the best and it associates with MB racing colors
Old 06-01-2002 | 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Red

Originally posted by awaken
Red attracts too much attention.
Our car is red and Magma red sure IS bright. But I must say that the car looks absolutely marvellous in red. The cops do keep an eye out for it. My 76 year old Dad (the main driver) says he's going to stop at the first radar trap he sees and ask the cops if they REALLY go for red cars. It'll be good for a laugh, anyway.

White on this car looks OK too, as does silver, but silver M-Bs are ubiquitous, hence the colour is absolutely without distinction. I really don't know why anyone would want a black car, but that's just me. Having a black glass roof is enough anyway.
Old 06-01-2002 | 10:45 AM

Originally posted by patronus

Actually I disagree and I speak from experience. If you live in Canada or anywhere where it snows the C7 tire and wheel combination is absolutely useless. You better be prepared to purchase some good snow tires. Plus the fact the C7 tires wear like hot marshmallows on concrete. And they are very expensive and capable of much more performance than the car can ever deliver. Little wonder they will be performance all season tires for 2003. I don't see how buying something that costs more in the long run and is not even necessary on this vehicle equates with a high IQ. And the painted door handles and pedals don't do anything for performance either. Should have put the money toward COMMAND instead. That would have been useful.
Old 06-01-2002 | 04:46 PM

Originally posted by viper

Actually I disagree and I speak from experience. If you live in Canada or anywhere where it snows the C7 tire and wheel combination is absolutely useless. You better be prepared to purchase some good snow tires. Plus the fact the C7 tires wear
I live in Seattle and there is no more than 1-2 snowy days per year. So I don't bother with all-season tires but summer tires with good wet handling ability is a must. Plenty of rain here year around. I'm pretty happy with my V-rated Kumhos on my curent car.
What tires they include into C7 package?
Old 06-02-2002 | 09:40 PM

Originally posted by awaken

What tires they include into C7 package?
C7 comes with either Michelin Pilots or Continentals. The Pilots are the preferred tire in this forum for reasons I don't quite understand. The Michelin is a Y rated tire and definately overkill for this car. Plus they wear pretty fast. I have a feeling MB got these for less than everyone thinks.
Old 06-03-2002 | 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by viper
C7 comes with either Michelin Pilots or Continentals. The Pilots are the preferred tire in this forum for reasons I don't quite understand.
I think it is because the replacement cost for the tires: the Conti's are $150 and the Michelin's are $230 (although as viper suggested no way is the price difference this large for MB). I think the $80 difference gives the impression that the Michelin is a much nicer tire. I think on the whole that the Michelin's should be a little grippier and does have a higher speed rating (which unfortunately is of little use due to the limiter setting in the US), but will probably not last as long as the Conti with everyday driving. If you're really going to be throwing the coupe around a lot, I'd say the Michelin is marginally better. If stately highway cruising is more your driving style, the Conti is probably all the tire you'll need.

Cheers, BT

Last edited by trench; 06-03-2002 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2002 | 02:45 PM

From comments I have read

when looking at tires at tirerack.com and other reviews, people just said the Contis were a piece of crap - that they were loud and had little grip - and that the Michelins were quiet and had tons of grip - even if they lost their tread quicker.

My only comment is that the only thing between you and the road is your tires. If you like to have fun, get the Michelins - which sell for about $185 at tirerack, or for a better buy get the Bridgestone S-03s for about $167. But these are tires for warmish weather (not below freezing) and rain. I have heard (read) that these tires lose their grippiness in very cold weather (possibly because of the compounds from which they are made)

If you go into cold freeezing winters and want grip, you are better off getting some steel rims and some all seasons.

Or if you don't have a lot of fun in twisties and want one tire, try the Michelin Pilot A/S (all seasons). They are pricey but should last a long time.
Old 06-03-2002 | 02:50 PM

If red attracts too much attention

Get a V1
Old 06-03-2002 | 11:21 PM

Re: If red attracts too much attention

Originally posted by Duffer
Get a V1
Gotcha! Have you already asked cops what they think about your red?