C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Advice needed on CD Changer for c230k Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 02:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice needed on CD Changer for c230k Coupe

Hey everyone, just ordered a CD changer from crutchfield.com for my c230k coupe. Apparently a new company just started making mb compatible CD changers that will mount in the glove box of the C-class mb's. Anyway, could anyone give me a heads up on the installation of this? I'm hoping to do it myself, but was wondering if anyone had some instructions on stuff to do or stuff to avoid, and any pictures if possible. I've gleaned the forums, but haven't found anything yet that gave info to the detail I was hoping.
Old 06-01-2002, 02:43 AM

C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan
i understand many coupe buyers don't get cd changers....like myself..

dave, if u search in this forum, using search feature........u could find lots of interesting posts and how to install changer urself on this forum.........

good luck.....btw, which model and price? let us know.

dave
Old 06-01-2002, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
I hope you didn't pay more than $400 for the changer! Installation is EASY. You'll need a #20 torx bit screwdriver and a long small bladed flat blade screwdriver. Go to your dealer and buy the $20 D2B optical cable (about 2' long). DON'T unplug the battery. Open the ashtray about halfway and shine a light (small flashlight) along the gap along the top of the ashtray door. You'll see 1 silver clip on each side holding the bottom of the center console cover in place. The clips are hinged in front and should be pulled down at their rear attachment point. Use the long thin flat bladed screwdriver for this. Now go up to the center air vents. Along the middle/left of each vent you'll see two small plastic pieces, one above the other separated by a vent slot or two. Rotate both vents so they point as high as possible. Use the thin screwdriver to carefully push the upper thin plastic clip to the right. This will allow the vent to rotate another 1/2" or so, creating a 1/4" gap along its bottom. Repeat on the other vent. Shine a light in the gap and you'll see a single torx bit screw on each bottom corner of the vent housing. Remove these (close the air vent with the thumbwheels to keep the screws from disappearing forever!). Now rotate the vents down. You'll need to push the lower plastic pins to the right to allow the vent to continue rotating down again creating a gap along the top of the vent and vent housing. There are two black plastic clips along the top corner of each side of the vent housing. You should pry down on each clip while pulling the vent housing out. You may have to go back and forth between each side as the clips have lots of "teeth" that will get hung up on the clip's attachment point. Once the vent is removed, the center console cover should come right off. You can unplug the wires going to the buttons on the console if you choose. I only unplugged a single connector along the top of mine which allowed me to twist the console cover and lay it flat on its face over the lower console. Remove two torx bit screws holding the radio/storage bin in place. Pull out the radio. The low storage bin will probably fall off. It will only stay in place with the radio installed. You'll see two orange cables attached to the back of the radio via an L shaped black plug. Depress a pressure lock on the plug and pull straight out. Take one of the plastic covers off of your new 2' long cable and place it over the old cable and then tuck the old cable away behind the radio somewhere. You should find the power/ground wire that goes to the changer tucked away behind the radio somewhere. It will have a small black plug on it. Open the glovebox. There is an approx. 1"x2" perforated knock-out on the left side of the upper part of the glovebox. I used an Exacto knife to cut away the small pieces of plastic along the preforation holding the knock-out in place. I thin used somepliers to twist it until it came out. Once it's out, slide the power/ground wire for the changer up through the hole in the glovebox. Now, I didn't spend $40 on the installation bracket. I used two large pieces of velcro to hold my changer in place (it fits VERY tightly!). I attached to large pieces of velcro on the bottom of the changer. I then put the changer in the glovebox, sliding it as far to the left as possible. I marked where the lower pieces of velcro should go on the glovebox shelf. I then attached the lower pieces of velcro to the shelf. The changer fits so tight, you will need to place a piece of paper between the upper and lower pieces of velcro when sliding the changer in place or else the pieces will grab each other and you'll never get it in, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Attach your new optical D2B cable to the back of the changer and run the cables through the circular bracket. Also plug in the power/ground cable. Run the orange optical cable from the changer through the knock-out hole and into the area behind the radio. Plug the cable up to the back of the radio. At this point I'd turn on the stereo and test of the changer to see that it works. Using the paper-between-the-velcro trick, slide the changer in place without crimping any wires. Once the changer is in its final location slide the paper out. Your changer should be locked in place by the velcro. Now install the radio and console in reverse order. Enjoy your new tunes!!!!!

Jim

Last edited by Jim Banville; 06-01-2002 at 10:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
c230k2005 (07-10-2020)
Old 06-01-2002, 10:26 AM
Almost a Member!

c230 coupe
Hi, le848dave!

A question, does the aftermarket, non-MB CD changer you just bought work with the steering wheel controls? If so, I'll appreciate your help in giving me more details about brand, model number, and price.

Regards,

TSWIND
Old 06-01-2002, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Advice needed on CD Changer for c230k Coupe

Originally posted by le848dave
Hey everyone, just ordered a CD changer from crutchfield.com for my c230k coupe. Apparently a new company just started making mb compatible CD changers that will mount in the glove box of the C-class mb's.
That's a great deal, you paid $599 for an off-brand CD changer for you car that may work vs. the MB CD changer for $399. I wish was able to get that deal. Unfortunately I rushed to get mine when it was on sale at autoclass.net for $375.
Old 06-01-2002, 03:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Just cancelled the crutchfield order...decided to go w/ the one from autotoys.com Originally I thought the Crutchfield was worth it for the return policy and instructions/tech help, but when I called and talked to their tech people they had no idea how this thing installed in the coupe and didn't have any info to help...that and since Jim Banville provided such excellent support for me (thanks a handfull Jim!) I went for the factory version.

On a side note, yes, the one on Crutchfield is designed to work w/ the steering wheel controls. Even so, I decided to get the factory one so if I had a problem installing it and I took it to the dealer, I didn't look like an idiot and they would hopefully not try to pull one of the 'this won't work in this car lies.'

On one more note, Buell, after cables, mounting bracket and shipping, the price of the two are w/in about $100 and the Crutchfield one does have an excellent return policy. Sometimes people value things like customer service and ease of return higher.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by le848dave
On one more note, Buell, after cables, mounting bracket and shipping, the price of the two are w/in about $100 and the Crutchfield one does have an excellent return policy. Sometimes people value things like customer service and ease of return higher.
I value that the MB dealer can and did install it, the MB dealer can handle warranttee issues with it and when I sell my car I don't have to explain the aftermarket CD changer or incorrect MB CD changer. I did have trouble after a month with the CD changer and they fixed it at the dealer under warranttee. I bet they wouldn't have touched the aftermarket unit. But then we all value different things. I don't think I would ever get something mail order unless I actually either seen and touch it or had great references on the product from others.

And BTW, the autotoys.com CD changer on their website is the older model for the DB2 systems like for the W202. They say to use the existing fiber cable which is true on the W202 C but not on the new ones. It also comes with a universal bracket, for what? The trunk of a W202? Make sure the part number is 203 820 9089.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And BTW, the autotoys.com CD changer on their website is the older model for the DB2 systems like for the W202.
The OEM Mercedes-Benz changer I got from www.autotoys.com works perfectly in my '02 C240
Old 06-01-2002, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For the $445 did it come with the correct fiber cable and the correct bracket for mounting it in the glove box? If it did then it's a true bargain.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For the $445 did it come with the correct fiber cable and the correct bracket for mounting it in the glove box? If it did then it's a true bargain.
No. I found about about the cheaper autoclas.net price after I ordered mine. The $450 included shipping though
Old 06-03-2002, 10:53 PM

If you look at the USA SPEC web site, they are selling the exact Mercedes-Benz branded unit. So it must be exactly the same as the one that Autoclass.net and autotoys.com are selling.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:03 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
i checked both sites and ended up with autoclass because the grand total was cheaper
$470 total for changer+cable+bracket+shipping
and i got them within a week
Old 06-04-2002, 01:34 AM

I went with autoclass.net too. It's an interim solution for me though. After I figure out a good way of getting a hard drive based digital audio player hooked in (Phatnoise Phatbox is a likely candidate), I will have no need of the CD changer and I will probably put it on eBay.