C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

JD Power Survey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
I know this is an old thread, but I've just gotta say something.

I've had a Honda Prelude since the 90's. Drove it for 200,000 miles. The timing belt has even failed on me because I didn't change it in time. Guess what? Still no major problems. Air cond. works, power steering, power windows, handling, brakes. Everything.

Only thing wrong now is oil leack due to bad threading (some oil change place must have screwed it too tight).

You guys probably think hondas are cheap and beneath you, but damn it, those things don't fail man.

Now I'm thinking about getting a c320, but hearing about these comlaints I'm getting a bit apprehensive.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:32 AM

2002 C230K
I don't think tha anyone here would speak against the mechanical reliability of Hondas or most cars for that matter. However, the two cars are are in different classes and target different markets. I've had VWs, Audi's Toyotas, BMWs,Mazda (yuck) and OMG even a chevy. Each has had its strengths and weaknesses (the Mazdas strength was it was cheap :P )

There is some luck of the draw involved on every car, and every purchase is a crap shoot with odds somewhat determined by surveys like JD Power.

Hondas are fine automobiles, I love the solidity, firmness and handling of my C230. That's why I bought it, and no honda even came close.
Old 10-24-2002, 10:08 AM

Import
Let's keep this old thread going...

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I don't usually dress up to go to dealers so I was in a polo shirt and jeans and drove up in a new F150, my daugthers. They though I was there to deliver parts or something and had a snooty attitude so I crossed Lexus off the list.

Ironically, this is exactly what happened to me at the MB dealer. Drove up in the wife's LS430, parked right next to the door, but as we were from a different county (only explanation I can come up with) were treated like scum. They only let me test drive a three-year old POS C, and even then with the salesmonkey in the front seat, and after giving my license and insurance information!! I really wanted the new C and so ignored all the crap - wife, however, will never enter the place again. A diametrically opposite experience to buying three Lexus in ten years.
We all have different reasons for making the purchase - in my case it was for the car, and sure as hell not the dealer.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:09 AM

????

From personal experience I can attest to MBs crap build quality for last 20 years. The JD Powers 5yr reliabilty survey is where MBs poor reliabilty shows where it's nowhere close to the realiability of a even a Jaguar. I didn't buy an MB because I wanted a reliable car, I got it for the free car washes, free 4yr maintenance and good loaner program. If I had this many problems with an American or Japanese car it would have been gone a long time ago. But the quirkiness and the excitement of wondering what will break next, what kinda loaner will I get, will I hit the magical number of repairs to qualify for a lemon law case, endear me to the car.

And yes, you are right, MBs make the shiniest cars at the scrap heap. They should with all the free car washes and waxing they do.
Buell - Sometimes I am not quite sure if you are being serious or humorous. Which is it this time ???
Old 10-24-2002, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wrote that a long long time ago and since my 16 loaners/trips to the dealer the car has stabilized, the car washes are great and so are the cookies/muffins/pastries and coffee. It got to the point where it was soo stable (less than one trip to the dealer a month is stable in MB terms) I started to modify it with a pulley, intercooler, springs, etc... Because of my previous experiences with MBs I had very low expectations so I'm not really dissapointed, business as usual for the 3 point star. Of course I do have a pending problem with steering noise and there's a TSB about there for it. Just have to make time to bring it for loaner #17.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Re: ????

Originally posted by Benzer
Buell - Sometimes I am not quite sure if you are being serious or humorous. Which is it this time ???
Well, it wasn't funny, so I'd have to say the former. :p

Web, you can't be serious about the handling of the ccoupe being better than a Honda. Was it the Passport?

Oggle - you're right on both counts. Yes, Hondas last forever, and yes, some here are anti-Japanese manufacturer snobs. The C class tends to fall into the "average" category on most reliability ratings, so don't worry too much. Honda is much better, of course. Don't forget - coupe will be available with 240 6 cyl and 6-speed in only a couple of months.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
I'd MUCH rather have an average reliability MB than a 100% reliable Honda! MB's ooze class Honda's ooze practicality
Old 10-24-2002, 12:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Feel free to wave at the Accords as they whiz by you on the street.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by pel C

Ironically, this is exactly what happened to me at the MB dealer. Drove up in the wife's LS430, parked right next to the door, ....
I pulled up in my 95 Ford Ranger and dressed as sloppy I would on a Saturday. I was a little self-conscious becuase I thought the salesguys would be heading for the hills as soon as they saw this slob walk in. Quite the opposite. I was treated well and given a car to test drive (no salesguy in the backseat). I even told him straight out that I wasn't serious about buying anytime soon. My wife jokingly said she wanted an SLK and the salesguy repeadedly asked if we wanted to test drive one of those.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:18 PM

2002 C230K
Avlis' experience pretty much echos mine as well. Jeans and a T shirt. Drive a C and an E with the kids and no sales guy. Told them I wasn't sure what I was going to buy but that I had a deposit down on another car and wasn't sure I wanted it after all.

I got a no haglle offer for my coupe on my second visit and the Sales guy has even helped out since with service issues.

I'm a pleased owner so far....
Old 10-24-2002, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
An MB driver wave at a Honda? Please! Perhaps only to flag them down to ask them where the nearest Walmart is (once my Tele-aid subscription expires)
My MB has never left me stranded. I don't see too many people on this board being stranded by their MB. I do where people on this board have had warning lights or noises or alignment issues, etc.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by tommy

But, I'll be wavin' from my shiny E320 loaner
Old 10-24-2002, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
No problems, not one with my MB. Most trouble free car Ive ever owned.

I'm always amazed when people point to Hondas as so infallible. My most unreliable car was a Honda Accord...the number of things that failed on that car make even Buellwinkles imagination pale in comparison. I'm not anti-japanese cars...I did buy the thing after all...but I'd never ever buy a Honda again. In addition to the junk status of the car, you have to deal with dealers so snobby they make the Lexus jerks seem humble...service centers from hell, dull as nails styling, and the "everyone drives this thing" image...

No thanks.

If I cared about reliablity and service ONLY, I'd have bought a Saturn. And I would have gotten dent proof bodywork as a bonus.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:28 PM

2003 C230K, 6 spd, Brilliant Silver, C-5, C-7, CD changer
Originally posted by Jim Banville
An MB driver wave at a Honda? Please! Perhaps only to flag them down to ask them where the nearest Walmart is (once my Tele-aid subscription expires)
My MB has never left me stranded. I don't see too many people on this board being stranded by their MB. I do where people on this board have had warning lights or noises or alignment issues, etc.
I drove a Honda Civic SI for 10 years, 180k miles, relatively trouble free, not perfect but very good (never left me stranded). Yes, dealer service sucked, they were nice but incompetent.

Just bought a 2003 C230K, didn't make it off the lot- trans failed.
New trans installed but has a vibration, dealer claims it's normal 'cause they don't know how to diagnose it, so...dealer service sucks, they are nice...but incompetent.

If I didn't work for DCX now, or if Honda/Acura had the head side airbags, I would've bought another Honda.

P.S. now I drive a Mercedes (when it runs) AND I know where the nearest Walmart is
Old 10-28-2002, 09:06 AM

Check the forums for the other brands. They have problems with their vehicles also. Nobody is perfect in spite of what some would have us believe.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
From personal experience I can attest to MBs crap build quality for last 20 years. The JD Powers 5yr reliabilty survey is where MBs poor reliabilty shows where it's nowhere close to the realiability of a even a Jaguar. I didn't buy an MB because I wanted a reliable car, I got it for the free car washes, free 4yr maintenance and good loaner program. If I had this many problems with an American or Japanese car it would have been gone a long time ago. But the quirkiness and the excitement of wondering what will break next, what kinda loaner will I get, will I hit the magical number of repairs to qualify for a lemon law case, endear me to the car.

And yes, you are right, MBs make the shiniest cars at the scrap heap. They should with all the free car washes and waxing they do.

hahhahahhahaha I like this !!! and can testify for the crapp reliability
Old 10-28-2002, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
But, I'll be wavin' from my shiny E320 loaner
Hahaha... Hope I won't suffer your fate. It might be fun to have a different car to drive every other week, but I'd much rather just not have any problems lol.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
I'm pretty new here and in fact, had just purchased a C320 last week.

But since coming here I'm starting to see this elitist attitude against Hondas and just pretty much anything Japanese (and bmw's too). To me, this is almost as bad as when kids rice up or bean up their cars. We make fun of them fixing up cheap cars, and they laugh at us for being so snobby. Why not just enjoy a car for what it's worth and respect others for their decisions? After all, it's just a car. They come and go. In 10 years or so, most of them will be in the junkyard anyways.

To me, Accords are great bang for the buck. They're very reliable and not too costly. Not everyone can afford MBs you know. Yeah it doesn't have the kind of class you get when driving a MB, but remember, we're paying for that with our wallet.

Personally I've not had this C320 long enough to make a good judgement on its reliability. However I can attest to the quality of Hondas. They are pretty reliable. Compare that with say, the Taurus, which my uncle owned. Till this day he swears when he hears of that name. It kept giving him one problem after another.

Last edited by oggle; 10-28-2002 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:09 PM

2002 C230K, Auto, etc.
J D Powers survery

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh how things change. It was only couple weeks ago I had to suffer through a long message about how the MBs were way down the list on reliability and how the Jaguar was now up to #2.....

Well if you check out the current issue of Business Week and read the article titled: Ford: Luxery is job one. You will learn that the Jag has now fallen to #19 from #2 in the initail quality survey by JD Power and Associates. Why? Motor problems and build quaility. The X Jag is built on the Ford Montero Chassis. The word is getting out that when you buy a Jag your really buying a rebadged Ford. S-Jag is built on the Lincoln LS chassis.

Not saying that MB has anything to be really proud of right now. I've had my C230K for about three months and it's been in about four times now. Trunk rattles (fixed) and ESP/BAS faults (not fixed yet) and today my wife called me to tell me the 'check engine' light came on and won't go away. Even though the computer shows a 'no malfunction' go figure........

My 97 VW VR6 in five years only had one NON scheduled trip to the dealer. I traded it in on the benz with 86K miles on it. It was running just fine...
Old 11-05-2002, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
ive had 2 MB's. my first was a hand me down 1983 300CD from my parents. when i got it it had 189k miles. my parents never had major problems with the car. when i got it the car was 10 years old. i had it for another 4 years and sold it when it had 248k miles. mechanically the car just ran and ran. put fuel in it, regular maintenance, and a blown window motor was all i did. well i did bottom out the car going over abig dip with 4 people in it and blew out the bottom of the oil pan, but i dont blame that on MB, just myself being 16 and stupid. i bought a 1987 300D and that car was a POS. everyting seemed to break on it. i couldnt turn around w/out something falling apart. my mom had a 1985 300D no major problems. she had a 1990 300E, that had many problems including a replaced transmission after 9 mths buying brand new, electrical proiblems, and many more. she had it towed to the dealership 3 times in one week. she said at least she was saving miles. my parents still have their 1989 560SL. granted its almost 14 years old with 90k miles but its been a great car too and not had the issues of her 1990 W124. i guess it all depends. people are bound to get a lemon from time to time. rumors say that MB auto built in the late 80's/early 90's are more likely to have more problems than others. i dont know how tru that is. personally i like the design, safety features, and durability that if i were to get a lemon again, i would either sell it or file a lemon law suit and get another MB.

Originally posted by pel C
Ironically, this is exactly what happened to me at the MB dealer. Drove up in the wife's LS430, parked right next to the door, but as we were from a different county (only explanation I can come up with) were treated like scum. They only let me test drive a three-year old POS C, and even then with the salesmonkey in the front seat, and after giving my license and insurance information!! I really wanted the new C and so ignored all the crap - wife, however, will never enter the place again. A diametrically opposite experience to buying three Lexus in ten years.
We all have different reasons for making the purchase - in my case it was for the car, and sure as hell not the dealer.
fortunately i didnt have the same problem as others. i am 26, interested in buying a 2003 C230. went to MB of San Diego where they do high end business with the Chargers and Padres and Rancho Santa Fe people. im a network engineer, walked in and had no problems. i was able to test drive a 2003 C230 w/ C5, C7, and COMAND with no questions asked. they didnt ask for license or insurance. better yet i pulled up on a sunday @ 11am in shorts, tee-shirt and baseball cap in my 2000 VW New Beetle that was in terrible need of wash from the nightly dew. came back from the test drive, placed my order, wrote him a check for $5k (thats what they said they needed for the color and options i was ordering) and walked out the door and back to my VW.

Last edited by CitronC230K_03; 11-05-2002 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by speedfrk
It has been noted that people also fill out surveys based on pre-conceptions. For example, a few years back, Toyota and GM shared a plant in Ca that built Corollas and whatever the Chevy rebadge was at the time. The quality surveys consistently showed better quality for the Toyotas than the Chevys even though they were the exact same car, built on the same assembly line. People assumed Toyotas are more reliable than Chevys, and filled out the surveys accordingly.
the plant in ontario i think and it was a geo, which was a GM product and chevy then took it over. but i cant remember the exact model for the geo (corolla) look-a-like. i think it was a prizm.

Originally posted by viper
Check the forums for the other brands. They have problems with their vehicles also. Nobody is perfect in spite of what some would have us believe.
very true!!! i belong to vwvortex.com and newbeetle.org and i see many problems with not just the New Beetle but with all the models. especially from vwvortex which covers VW, Audi, etc. anytime you get a forum exclusively with owners of a particular model or make, you are bound to see common issues and problems to that model and/or make. no matter what you drive!

Last edited by CitronC230K_03; 11-05-2002 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dan, when I reffered to JD Power survey and Jaguar being #3, that's the 5 year realiability. Initial quality surveys mean nothing to me. What happens in the first 90 day can't be as important as what happens when the warranty is up.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by CitronC230K_03
the plant in ontario i think and it was a geo, which was a GM product and chevy then took it over. but i cant remember the exact model for the geo (corolla) look-a-like. i think it was a prizm.
I'm pretty sure that these were built at the New United Motors plant in Fremont, California. The NUMMI plant built what were essentially Toyota Corollas badged as Chevy Novas (later the Geo/Chevy Prizm). This is where GM learned the manufacturing techiniques they later used for the Saturn plant. The plant still builds Corollas, Tacomas, Pontiac Vibes and the Japanese version of the Vibe, called the Voltz.

Cheers, BT

Last edited by trench; 11-05-2002 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

oh ok. i thought the big buidling in ontario with toyota on it built the corollas. it may just be an admin building like the MB building in onatrio or fontana.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:29 PM
Almost a Member!

02 C320 S.E., 02 BMW 330XI, 00 4Runner
I love the way my C320 drives, and the way, the car gives me a feeling of status, that most other cars wouldn't. I have to admit though, that this will probably be the last MB, I'll ever buy. I've been very disenchated with the problems I've had with this car.
Steering wheel offset, speakers quite working, and just today, I'm getting a warning light telling me that Telaid has malfunctioned. And on top of that MB tells me to come back in three weeks for a scheduled appointment. I also have to admit, that the people I've met in the showrooms at both dealership that I've delt with have been elitist dxxks.
I also have a 2000 Toyota 4runner which I've put 90,000 miles on. Guess what. In the time I've had it, nothing has ever gone wrong. I've never had to do anything besides change the oil, rotate tires, put new ones on, and I just did a brake job on it.
My experience in the last 7000 miles on this benz has been less then enchanting. My dad has an 2000 E430, that has had a very lously history of being in the shop as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JD Power Survey