C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Change in pitch of engine sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2005 | 08:41 AM

Change in pitch of engine sound

Hi, I recently got my car back from Mercedes. They fixed two problems:

1) Mainly when pulling off from a hill the car would make a clicking sound - they said that the differential is attached to the body and it has some plates behind it, one of which was loose and moving so they tigthened that as the fix.

2) When I moved off in first gear and got to around 2000rpm the engine would make a scratching sound - they said the variable valve timing unit was loose and shaking/moving so they had to fix that on properly, in the meanwhile they replaced a "o-ring" within the unit as it expanded in "work-shop temperatures"

Since I got the car back, the sound of the engine is a much higher pitch. I'm no expert but it sounds like the super charger. For some reason is is alot louder or working harder or something. Does anyone know how any of the above could be related or what could be the cause of the higher pitch. It sounds like the super charger is working alot more, like it starts to work at lower revs and can be heard at an annoying pitch when just "cruising" along the road.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Zishan
Old 01-19-2005 | 09:23 AM
Almost a Member!

Hi,

I'm from London too.

I am on my fourth W203 saloon now and all were from ne - I have owened 2 Kompressors and what u have described sounds perfectly normal. The Kompessor could be heard at low revs on all my cars and sounded rather good (according to people) - i have now moved on to the CDIs which are fantastic with loads of torque and the turbo on them sounds cool when accelerating !. I think you are just being paranoid and all is fine. Mind u the Stealers in the UK are usless and I don't trust them, or their expalnations or work they carry out or even leavign them with my cars! One of the tademarks of the kompressor is to be high picthed/winey sort of noise! Don't stress urself out too much.

Last edited by Flash; 01-19-2005 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2005 | 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Flash
Hi,

I'm from London too.

I am on my fourth W203 saloon now and all were from ne - I have owened 2 Kompressors and what u have described sounds perfectly normal. The Kompessor could be heard at low revs on all my cars and sounded rather good (according to people) - i have now moved on to the CDIs which are fantastic with loads of torque and the turbo on them sounds cool when accelerating !. I think you are just being paranoid and all is fine. Mind u the Stealers in the UK are usless and I don't trust them, or their expalnations or work they carry out or even leavign them with my cars! One of the tademarks of the kompressor is to be high picthed/winey sort of noise! Don't stress urself out too much.
Thanks alot, the change in sound just worried me a bit. It is almost annoyingly whiney now tho.
Old 01-20-2005 | 06:31 AM
Almost a Member!

Not a problem - there was an articale fww months back in AUtocar mag on W203 saloon and one of the things that let it down accoridng to their tester was the whining kompressor - its when the whining stops that you should be worried i.e. Kompressor not working - I have heard stories of this on W202s and the Air MAss was to balme and expensive too. After you have run your car in now after the work by the Stealership (as it has new seal and re-tightening) the whinning/high pitch may slightly reduce after its loosened up a little bit).
Old 01-20-2005 | 04:02 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Another strange thing that happened, I was driving at about 80mph today and was in Auto mode of the sequential gearbox and the car wouldnt change up into 6th gear, it would just stay in 5th. But again, i'm gonna let it break in a bit from the work and see what happens.

Thanks for all your input Flash.