C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

I got raped by MB service!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
In the past, when I had my BMW I had the four tires almost worn out, and I installed 2 new ones in the front because when I drove it in wet highway the car will hydroplaning and after installing the new ones it didnt!!!
I went one time to my bmw dealer to do a service and they (without I asked it) changed the new ones to the rear,after that I was allways afraid of crashing my self because the car was allways hydroplaning in wet highway, so the new tires in the rear doesnt make much!!!!

(think this way, when we aproach a wet surface, what tires enter the water first??? the front ones are essential, specially in highway, when there is more probability to have hydroplaning because of the higher speed)

I experienced the situation and thats my conclusion so...

Last edited by gaiex; 01-30-2005 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 sports Coupe
The dealership should only be putting in wipper inserts sho it should be a lot cheaper then 26 dollars per wipper but if you had after market blades then they would have to replace that to. i don't know about the carbon filter but im sure you can always opt. out of getting that changed...most cars don't have interror filters any way. As for the breaks I have just been told that i have to change my front breaks and rotors, they called it unsafe and wanted to charge me $500 for it however because i work at a car dealership i decided that i would have my dealership do the work . It looks like there is half the break left but not all the break is useable. my dealership says i can probably have no problem if i waited a month.

so does any one know if the 2002 c230k coupes have break sensors to trigger a warning light or if there is only a sound?
Old 01-31-2005, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by gaiex
In the past, when I had my BMW I had the four tires almost worn out, and I installed 2 new ones in the front because when I drove it in wet highway the car will hydroplaning and after installing the new ones it didnt!!!
I went one time to my bmw dealer to do a service and they (without I asked it) changed the new ones to the rear,after that I was allways afraid of crashing my self because the car was allways hydroplaning in wet highway, so the new tires in the rear doesnt make much!!!!

(think this way, when we aproach a wet surface, what tires enter the water first??? the front ones are essential, specially in highway, when there is more probability to have hydroplaning because of the higher speed)

I experienced the situation and thats my conclusion so...
Sooner or later, you will find a puddle big enough that the fronts float, and when it happens the backs will totally loose contact, and that's when the car will go out of control. Your logic is wrong.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:27 PM

C320 Coupe
Originally Posted by BabyBenz6spd
I've also been raped Today!!! I went in for the shceduled SERVICE A @ 13000Miles.

I was charged $160 for pretty much an oil change, and they cleaned my in-cabin filter........and other inspections of fluid.

Service B is not for another 17000 miles.......but I'm going to change the engine oil every 6500 miles at local autoshop for about $60 with Mobil 1 synthetic.

The problem is if you don't go to these Mercedes Services, can they void your warrenty? I'm definitly going to look into some other cars after my warrenty run out on my 05 C230. I know Benz are expansive to take care of.....but damn!
They can't void your warranty because MB doesn't do the server. Just keep your reciepts that maintenance was done. Even if you do it yourself. Be sure all fluids Meet MB spec.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:30 PM

C320 Coupe
Originally Posted by taylor192
Good tires go in the rear for a different reason. Many tire places will not sell you 2 winter tires for this exact reason, read some thread in the TireRack forum or go to the TireRack website.

New tires on front or rear upsets the balance of the car. Under heav y braking, cornering, ect... the car will want to 'turn' due to the uneven traction front/rear. More traction in the front will cause the rear end to come around while cornering/braking (like over-steer). More traction in the rear means the car may not turn (under-steer) or stop as quickly. While braking faster is desired, the possibility of the rear coming around, especially with bad-drivers, most places will not put the new tires on the front, only on the rear.
Understeer is easier for most people to correct, hence the better tires should be in the back. Unless your are competent with oversteering a car, you always want the back tires to follow the front. Even if the fronts aren't going where you want them. Ask Tirerack!
Old 02-01-2005, 01:40 PM

05-C230SC
The problem is if you don't go to these Mercedes Services, can they void your warrenty? I'm definitly going to look into some other cars after my warrenty run out on my 05 C230. I know Benz are expansive to take care of.....but damn!
I went to the dealership for my first checkup (the free one for the 05 models) and according to my dealership:

YOU have the right to choose where to get service done for your vehicle!

They can't void your warranty if you have proof that the maintenance was done! (Keep your receipts)

If you chose not to have a service done, it will effect that particular section of your warranty, 'if' something goes wrong. Example: let's say you don't flush your coolant when MB recommends it, and 2 years later your water pump goes out, it is NOT covered since you didn't bother to perform the recommended service.

The kicker is that I can have just about any shop flush my coolant (or any other A or B service item: breaks, filters, etc); and when I take my receipts of work to the dealer they will check codes, verify work, AND stamp my book. <-- nice!

This was according to MY dealership, don't assume yours will do the same.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 GLK 350
Which dealer?

[QUOTE=YoYiTo]I went to my local dealer to find out how much is service b. The rep told me $450 because my warranty ran out at 60k miles. I asked the rep what does Service B consists. He told me wheel rotation, oil change, inflate tires, wiper change, tranny oil change, differantial oil change and some other things I cant remember.

Are you referring to Mercedes Benz of Pembroke Pines?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You've obviously not paid maintenance on a car for a while.

MB holds 8 qt os synthetic so oil alone w/o labor is $40
Charcoal filter is like $80-100 just parts alone

Add things up plus labor, $700 is reasonable. If you want cheap mainteanance, go to Jiffy Lube and treat your car like a Carmy.

BTW, a 60k service for a Camry is $400 at Toyota dealership. Your MB parts are more expensive so get over it or start doing it yourself like I do.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by djantlive
You've obviously not paid maintenance on a car for a while.

MB holds 8 qt os synthetic so oil alone w/o labor is $40
Charcoal filter is like $80-100 just parts alone

Add things up plus labor, $700 is reasonable. If you want cheap mainteanance, go to Jiffy Lube and treat your car like a Carmy.

BTW, a 60k service for a Camry is $400 at Toyota dealership. Your MB parts are more expensive so get over it or start doing it yourself like I do.

So the reason why $700 is reasonable is because you do it yourself.

When a mechanic charges more than a doctor then you would have to send your kids to motor-school and not med-school.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:53 AM

05-C230SC
During the checkup the service rep mentioned that I couldn’t get rotations done because the rims/tires are staggered. I suggested removing the tire from the rim and moving it over to the opposing side (with correct directional path). So this guy tells me it wouldn't be financially worth it to pull and mount the tires every rotational cycle.

Oh well. guess I'll just have to drive the crap out of the tires, and then get new rims when they are done.

BTW: The service rep seamed surprised that there are staggered sets on the coupes now... shouldn't they know this stuff? Seams like there is always a huge communication gap between service people and sales people.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by Deutscher_Wagen
D

BTW: The service rep seamed surprised that there are staggered sets on the coupes now... shouldn't they know this stuff? Seams like there is always a huge communication gap between service people and sales people.

Ive never owned a car where the service, or the sales dept was more knowledgeable than the enthusiasts like ourselves. Think about all the stuff that slips under the radar at work, and when you find our your like, oh really...its the same for the folks at the dealer. Its a job, not a hobby.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Job, not a hobby...

You're right....and at least they're honest about it.