C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Rear hatch cover squeek

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear hatch cover squeek

My 02 C230 coupe's rear hatch squeeks from time to time. Can someone tell me whats the best way to fix it? Do I just put grease on the rubber tap that it sits on?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tmak26b
My 02 C230 coupe's rear hatch squeeks from time to time. Can someone tell me whats the best way to fix it? Do I just put grease on the rubber tap that it sits on?
Mine makes more noise than a french ***** on an old coil-spring mattress. I haven't figured out how to fix it yet. Good luck though, if you are still under warraty take it to the dealer.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Must be the plastic covers. Not sure how to fight it, though. Silicone grease is not too plastic-friendly. Perhaps foamy double stick tape will help?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Coupe
There's actually two things probably squeeking. the plastic trim around the hatch door (Problem B) and the privacy shelf (Problem A).

My dealer has replaced the package shelf, but didn't fix it. They also replaced the plastic trim around the rear door and lined the new pieces with felt. That appears to have fixed problem B, at least for the last seven or eight months.

The package shelf appears to be squeeking where it rubs the two rubber strips on the lip that holds it in place. If you put a paper towel over them, the squeek stops (fixes problem A). If you take the privacy shelf out, it is quiet as a church mouse (Also fixes problem A). It also helps if you ensure the shelf is centered when the door is closed.

My problems coincided with my occassional use of Amorall. The more I clean the Armorall off it, the quieter it gets, hence, I nolonger user Amorall on the hard plastic trim and it is getting better.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:38 PM

C230 sports Coupe
Ya i have the same problem and actully i have fixed it...or at least that what my car let me believe for a day or 2. I find turning the stereio helps. so to answer the question seriously i started searching for the buzz i had and i first adjusted the pressure screws at the bottom of the hatch (this might work for a squeek, but watch you don't tighten it to much or the latch wont work properly, then i attemped scilicone grease where i saw obvious rubbing spots finally i figured out it was the plastic trim carefully i took it all of (which fit together in kinda a weird way and put some random felt between the plastic and the paint. however the felt was to few and too thick so i now have a large quanity of thin one side sticky felt i got at my local craft store (someting that as soon as i relized where the buzz was coming from i new i needed) but i have yet to put it on there. i know it is not the hatch cover because i took it out once and it still did it.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:00 PM

The dealer tried fixing it once, it was fixed for two weeks. Now its coming back louder than ever
Old 02-08-2005, 01:34 AM

On my car they redid the plastic hatch on the back. Put some carpet mat on it... didnt really fix it.

Most of the noise is probably teh rear sunroof peice.

~fk
Old 02-08-2005, 07:41 AM
taylor192

Originally Posted by TNblkc230wz
My problems coincided with my occassional use of Amorall. The more I clean the Armorall off it, the quieter it gets, hence, I nolonger user Amorall on the hard plastic trim and it is getting better.
After cleaning/conditioning/protecting the leather/vinyl interior pieces my car always squeaks like a ****. There needs to be more 'felt' lining in our cars between surface contact points.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by taylor192
After cleaning/conditioning/protecting the leather/vinyl interior pieces my car always squeaks like a ****. There needs to be more 'felt' lining in our cars between surface contact points.
I'm just going to gut the hatch again that worked last time.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
The pano roof cars seem to be noisy inside. Mine is when its cold. I give the sunroof button a real light tap, and the roof moves up like a sixteenth of an inch, and the noise goes away.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:21 AM

C320 Coupe
Originally Posted by taylor192
There's something about Armorall that the car just doesn't like.

A simple test for anyone wishing to find out if it is the privacy shelf squeaking is to take it out. It that improves things, then put it back in and put a doubled paper towel the the four rubber points that are suppose to prevent the squeak. If that helps you've found your problem. If you've ever Armorall'd them or used a similar product, you will probably have problems. Try to remove the Armorall from those four rubber points. Two of the rubber points are on the lip the self sets on and the other two are on the hatch door trim.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
Originally Posted by firstkill
Most of the noise is probably teh rear sunroof peice.
How do you delete the rear sunroof peice noise?
Old 12-17-2005, 03:39 PM

2002 CL203
Here's what I did to rid the rear hatch noise, I completely took apart the hatch, foamed every piece, then attached thick double sided tape to all the parts that that touched the metal of the hatch, no more noise.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
Originally Posted by DACHIGGA
Here's what I did to rid the rear hatch noise, I completely took apart the hatch, foamed every piece, then attached thick double sided tape to all the parts that that touched the metal of the hatch, no more noise.

Thanks you, but I have noise in the fixed glass of panoramic sunroof (something like a ratling when there is chasis torsion).

Best Regards.