C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

w204 vs 3-series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 BMW X5
Originally Posted by Unpopular
I totally agree JMP. Its the exact same in my country. It IS the reason why I got my first MB(when I was 28..31 now). Driving the BMW I was like everyone else. If you go out, they are literally 100's of 3 series everywhere with guys aged 19-35.
MB is referred to as an "old mans car" here.. but when you young and driving a modded MB you stand out a little more
Old 06-09-2007, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
The already Lexus feel of the W204 interior means the W212 will be even more fantastic gargets to play with, can't wait to see it in 2009. Since I am a 'leathers lover'( ), this time I probably will pass the W204 and get the W212.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I'm something on the same boat. I wouldn't get 3 over C unless I could get much better pricing for 3 or consider convertible. However next E looks tempting.
Why do I value C over 3? I value more comfort, style, prestige, over handling and performance which you can't utilize in everyday driving anyway. MB handles quite well. Actually some people prefer less sharpy handling of C. Perfomance of C is sufficient, the difference is really small so can be utilized only by a really smart driver.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:02 PM

BMW 330i
Sounds like some folks here should be carrying AARP cards.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
You live in South Orange man, I go to school there at Seton Hall. You're right about the C-Class, it will be more expensive to maintain. I don't know about $2281, but definately over $1000 for the life of a 3 year lease.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
What's AARP cards? I tried web search it gives me some pharmacy service. Do you mean people are sick here? I hope you feel well.

Why $1000? Car needs 15,000 miles A service. I just got quote from a dealer as $300.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:18 PM

2000 BMW X5
Originally Posted by pmb600
You live in South Orange man, I go to school there at Seton Hall. You're right about the C-Class, it will be more expensive to maintain. I don't know about $2281, but definately over $1000 for the life of a 3 year lease.
WHATS UP? i am taking classes at CCM this summer! so i am in your neck of the woods! maybe ill see you around!
Old 06-17-2007, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Dema
What's AARP cards? I tried web search it gives me some pharmacy service. Do you mean people are sick here? I hope you feel well.

Why $1000? Car needs 15,000 miles A service. I just got quote from a dealer as $300.
I think you were talking to me about the $1000 for maintenence. Well if you have it for three years, that is three services two As one Bs. That is under $1000 for that. And then I guess another couple hundred for a set of brakes and maybe tires, so maybe $1500. I'm not saying that is nothing compared to the free maintenance from BMW, but if you like the MB better get that one.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ScottyGams
WHATS UP? i am taking classes at CCM this summer! so i am in your neck of the woods! maybe ill see you around!
Awesome! Both my parents went to CCM (Harvard on the Hill) believe it or not. It's ironic, because my dad has done fine with just his two years at county, he is a VP at a Fortune 50.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mercedes C220CDI(08) S320CDI(06) SL350 (2006)
Originally Posted by sklasse
even though its a new design a year after the 3,

I think the 3 has it beat in terms of price, style looks, and handling...

no contest....
I had BMW 330d .... Sux man!!! I regreat that i buy it... Sold after 4 months... My grandfather have it... Now i bought C class .. Much better than 3 series... Handling... MUCH BETTER THAN 3 SERIES.. New C class Rocks!!!! I just bougt another one 320 CDI AMG Package.. First one in our country!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:55 PM

It comes to peoples priorities.

Car guys, people who buy a car for performance and enjoy driving in nice twisties will always go for BMW.

Prestige guys who buy a car for its looks and comfort will choose MB.

MB simply can not match the performance, driving dynamics and steering feeling of a BMW. You can put a huge engine in any car but it does not make it a sports car.

I own both and both have about the same engine output around 170HP and I just cant seem to get over the e46 coupe. If I had to choose a car to drive around 323ci is my preference. Again I am car guy, I care about performance and looks. e46 design is sporty and classy and has the mean monster look and performance wise not many cars can match in the twisties. MB is more like a highway cruiser and doesnt really inspire me to take off ramps 3x the speed limit like my BMW does with out even tire squeal.

E90 design is definate let down for many e46 owners. Coupe seems to be a little sexier than the sedan but it is still something that needs to grow on you compared to love at first sight of e46. e90 lost the sport looks charactristics of e46 such as flared fenders bulding out, and the hood line being close to wheel arches. e90 feels like it is taller & looks less sporty and interior is not what you call a drivers cockpit anymore like e46. Yet it will outperform any e46 on the road so it is a though choice.

Looks wise MB wins compared to e90 but if you ever drive twin turbo 335I, it will put a huge question mark in your head if you were planning to buy a MB initially. That thing is a rocket and most like can take out an M3 if it only had LSD.

So conclusion for a car guy...
e46 looks better than MB-C & e90
e46 performs better than MB-C
e90 looks worse than MB-C
e90 performs better MB-C & e46

I will wait to see what the e90 m3 will look like and if they have will have nice body kits that will make 335 look more aggressive.
But again if you are the guy who searches for the apex spot even on the street, BMW is a way to go even if you have to live with less then perfect looks.

If you want a late model car and you say looks is what matters then go with MB-C

If you can afford it buy both and drive what ever the hell you want.

Here is the pecking order of german cars as far as performance.
HIGHWAY = Porsche > MB > BMW
TWISTIES = Porsche > BMW > MB

You can't convince a hardcore driving fanatic to drive MB after a Porsche 911, it just wont feel right. Same is true with a BMW to MB switch.

my BMW 7 years old and I still prefer it over the 05 C class unless it snows. Why in the world they don't have a digital read out of a temperature setting in C-class is beyond me. You have tiny little knob that sets temperatures between 60-90 within a 1/2 inch which is totally dumb(Sorry I had to vent that out..It is really bothering me).

Last edited by gokcer; 06-18-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Almost a Member!

E320 W211
the new W204 is just amazing, I'd take the C350 over any 3-series any day (except M3)
Old 06-18-2007, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
What about C55? New M3 has a beautiful engine, however torque isn't so attractive, so some people consider it a bit sluggish. So reason of taking M3 can be only style.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by gokcer
It comes to peoples priorities.

Car guys, people who buy a car for performance and enjoy driving in nice twisties will always go for BMW.

Prestige guys who buy a car for its looks and comfort will choose MB.

MB simply can not match the performance, driving dynamics and steering feeling of a BMW. You can put a huge engine in any car but it does not make it a sports car.
Don't discount Mercedes too much yet... Every review I have read of the W204 C-Class says that the handling finally rivals that of the BMW 3 series. BMW still has the power advantage with the twin turbo 335i/xi engine. Once Mercedes updates the engine to match or outperform the power of the BMW, I think the C-Class will be the new king of the entry level sport/luxury sedan market.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:42 AM

Dude there is more to HP/Torque that makes a good car. M3 is the total package . It has the handling characteristics of a GT race car. It will out brake, out turn any MB in the market. Only time a MB will take a M3 is on a highway. M3's are 10x more fun to drive than any MB.

Only cars that can keep up with M3 is a lotus and porsche in track. MB feels like driving a boat compared to M3.

C55 is just a highway cruiser with a huge engine definitely not a sports car. Again you need to be a car guy to be able appreciate the m3. For a regular guy, HP seems to be measure of performance.

You can do a full emergency stop with M3 80-0 with no hands on the wheel and the car will stop on a dime not even changing direction. Suspension and brake package on that car is truly amazing.

So if you think picking an M3 over C55 can only be style because M3 has less power, you don't know anything about cars. You might catch an M3 on the straight highways but when roads get twisty you'll be lucky if you can see his tail pipe.

In the end C55 is just a regular MB with more power and fancy brakes and auto transmission(that alone is enough to stop any genuine sports car fans from buying it). M3 is completely redesigned car. Springs, shocks, suspension components, engine, Transmission, LSD differential(which MB probably doesnt have) is completely different than a regular 3 series and designed for track use.

When it comes to fun factor, MB cant compare to M3.

I remember top gear reviewing Sl600 with goobs of power and they hated it since you couldnt really drive it. It had no traction due to too much power and Stability control took out any fun factor out of it.

So power alone doesnt necessarily make the car fun to drive. You need to match the chassy, suspension, tranny and differential with that kind of power.

Last edited by gokcer; 06-19-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Ok calm yourself. 1) I wasn't talking about the W203, I was talking about W204, so I was not talking about the C55 vs. M3. 2) I don't see where I said that it's all about torque and power. I simply said that everything I have read so far says that the new C-Class can rival the 3 series in handling and agility (note I am not talking about M or AMG models, we are talking regular models). I merely meant that once MB updates the engines combined with the new handling characteristics the C-Class sholud be a rival for the 3 series. 3) I don't know anything about the new M3 nor the C63 since there is almost no information on the C63 yet.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
............C55 is just a highway cruiser with a huge engine definitely not a sports car............
In the end C55 is just a regular MB with more power and fancy brakes and auto transmission(that alone is enough to stop any genuine sports car fans from buying it). M3 is completely redesigned car. Springs, shocks, suspension components, engine, Transmission, LSD differential(which MB probably doesnt have) is completely different than a regular 3 series and designed for track use.

I can agree fun factor M3 E46 > C55 , and I can even agree fun factor my 330i E90 is > my C55 bwhen I want to speed a S bend. However, I strongly disagree your comment about C55 is not a sportier car than any others claimed to be sports cars. I do not think you know anything at all about MB cars, not to say C55 design, which you know nothing. First off, the C55 brakes are no any fancier brakes than ones I can find on a Golf GTI. Neither the C55 auto tranny (a 5-speed) is any fancier than most of the regular E46s/E90/2s and W203s. While you were talking about M3, no one here knows if you were referring to E46 or the E92. I also think you are just running out of honest and fair words because your struggling with C55 auto transmission is stopping the fans buying it. All the C32/C55 owners here I been reading their materials, every one of them is 100%genuine sports car fan. I thought it is pretty simply, if people like a BMW, buy a M3 E92. If poeple like a Merc, buy a C63. I don't have all those issues you mentioned, I only buy BMW, Merc and Porsche.
Finally, the only reason stopping people buy a C55 AMG is it is the most expensive C-class ever built!

Last edited by cntlaw; 07-05-2007 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by pmb600
I don't know anything about the new M3 nor the C63 since there is almost no information on the C63 yet.
There's plenty of info on C63, you just have to visit the right sites, like AutoCar..

They really fancy the new C AMG, it's got great potential and they say it can be really big threat to BMW's new M3 in terms of everyday use..

BTW If you're interested in some sound, check this out: C63 AMG 1

If I had to choose between standard E90 and W204 I would definitly choose Mercedes. The three series is sooo ugly(IMO!) and it became so common in EU, people buy three series just for the sake of buying it.. Mercedes might not be so top class sporty, but it's better for everyday usage and it is sporty too.

As a matter of fact I'd rather have the new Mondeo than BMW, it's a better car. I know, Ford is something less than BMW you think, but forget the badges - Mondeo is substantially better car than three series BMW and for the price of FullSpec Mondeo Titanium X you get only 320d with no accessories..
Old 07-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW 318is (E36)
The W204 isn't out yet in America so I can only go off what people are saying in the reviews I have read.

Traditionally, BMW was leaps and bounds ahead of Mercedes in terms of handling and BMWs were always a lot more fun to drive, however with the W204, Mercedes has spent a lot of time and money on its steering and suspension in order to make it rival the 3 series. The recent first drive of the C63 AMG shows that they may have finally succeeded in making a truly great handling car, and to be honest I hope that is true because I have always loved Mercedes' and I think the W204 is a very good looking car.

The W204 may be able to get around a track just as quickly or maybe even a little quicker than a comparable E90 3 series but I'm willing to bet that the 3 series will still be more fun to drive and to me that's just a little more important, although straight line speed is always fun and the C63 should be significantly quicker than the new M3.

My family owns 2 Benzes and 2 Bimmers, my dad drives a 2003 E320 and my mom has a 2004 CLK320 and I drive a 2007 328i and I also have a 1996 318is that is too messed up to sell....I've driven plenty of W203 C classes and they don't compare to either my E90 3 series or even my E36 in terms of fun to drive and handling but they are still very good cars and I would buy a C class in a heart beat, it just turns out I like the BMW that little bit more.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Remonster
The W204 isn't out yet in America so I can only go off what people are saying in the reviews I have read.

Traditionally, BMW was leaps and bounds ahead of Mercedes in terms of handling and BMWs were always a lot more fun to drive, however with the W204, Mercedes has spent a lot of time and money on its steering and suspension in order to make it rival the 3 series. The recent first drive of the C63 AMG shows that they may have finally succeeded in making a truly great handling car, and to be honest I hope that is true because I have always loved Mercedes' and I think the W204 is a very good looking car.

The W204 may be able to get around a track just as quickly or maybe even a little quicker than a comparable E90 3 series but I'm willing to bet that the 3 series will still be more fun to drive and to me that's just a little more important, although straight line speed is always fun and the C63 should be significantly quicker than the new M3.

My family owns 2 Benzes and 2 Bimmers, my dad drives a 2003 E320 and my mom has a 2004 CLK320 and I drive a 2007 328i and I also have a 1996 318is that is too messed up to sell....I've driven plenty of W203 C classes and they don't compare to either my E90 3 series or even my E36 in terms of fun to drive and handling but they are still very good cars and I would buy a C class in a heart beat, it just turns out I like the BMW that little bit more.
That's all fair. I just think that the W204 might be a serious challenger to the BMW, of course not until they give them bigger engines.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:42 PM

C32
Dude there is more to HP/Torque that makes a good car. M3 is the total package . It has the handling characteristics of a GT race car. It will out brake, out turn any MB in the market. Only time a MB will take a M3 is on a highway. M3's are 10x more fun to drive than any MB.
M3 is far away from a total package. It's a great handling car that is highly trackable because of its dry sump setup. In other words, the oil is less susceptible to overheating.

Only cars that can keep up with M3 is a lotus and porsche in track. MB feels like driving a boat compared to M3.
Where are you getting this from? Check the lastest Nurburgring times and you will find a ton of cars beating the M3 on a proper track.

C55 is just a highway cruiser with a huge engine definitely not a sports car.
spoken like a true newbie who has not driven one. You are basing this observation on your C240?

Again you need to be a car guy to be able appreciate the m3. For a regular guy, HP seems to be measure of performance.
So all car guys should line up at the BMW dealer? I'm sure the Porsche owners are red with envy.

You can do a full emergency stop with M3 80-0 with no hands on the wheel and the car will stop on a dime not even changing direction. Suspension and brake package on that car is truly amazing.
Now you are just making me laugh.

So if you think picking an M3 over C55 can only be style because M3 has less power, you don't know anything about cars. You might catch an M3 on the straight highways but when roads get twisty you'll be lucky if you can see his tail pipe.

I remember top gear reviewing Sl600 with goobs of power and they hated it since you couldnt really drive it. It had no traction due to too much power and Stability control took out any fun factor out of it.

So power alone doesnt necessarily make the car fun to drive. You need to match the chassy, suspension, tranny and differential with that kind of power.
I'm hell bent on getting an M3 in my driveway.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Just read in Euro Tuner mag, July 2007, that 2007 E92 335i Coupe has plastic front fenders "For weight distribution". Never thought a company like BMW would use plastic body parts!

Last edited by E55 KEV; 07-05-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:43 PM

09 c300 4matic
sup guys ....

i currently own a w203 sedan and had one since 03 so its my first love. However Im not a w204 fan because of the lack of power and a couple other things. Dont get me wrong, the C63 in my opinion would be my first pick. However due to only having 4 months of no snow, i cant afford to buy a winter ride too at this time.

So it might be comming down to a 335xi. Fully loaded with the M aerodynamic kit upon purchase. I was never a fan of the e90 untill i seen one modified with parts that correct why i didnt like it in the first place. Now im not saying that the w204 cant be modded too, but you can make a e90 look nice inside out.

bone stock ... w204 > e90

modded e90 > w204 (give some time for w204 since its newer.)

Anyone willing to provide some pics of either modded out, to prove a point?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:53 AM

C220CDI
I'm currently driving an E90 320d, but will be replacing this with a W204 C220cdi. The main reason for changing cars is upgrading and getting a more well equipped car. The main reasons I decided on the W204:

- Newer
- Prefer the interior
- Prefer COMAND over iDrive
- Quieter and smoother diesel (320d is much louder)
- No run-flat tyres, smoother ride and quieter cabin

I'm quite sure I've made the right decision, but will let you all know in June when I get the new car. I'm sure I'll miss my BMW but I think the C class will help me forget it quickly.

Last edited by melbourne tim; 04-17-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally Posted by phranksmbz
However Im not a w204 fan because of the lack of power and a couple other things.
How about waiting for the 2009 C350 with 300HP.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: w204 vs 3-series