C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How well does the W204 fit this driver's needs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How well does the W204 fit this driver's needs?

First off, yes, this is a new car inquiry. I'm in the market for a new entry-level luxury car, upgrading from an 03 Corolla that served me well for college, but is now struggling on my long-distance trips.

Just to be clear, I'm different from my friends (and, apparently, from the rest of the 18-24 male demographic) in that I don't care much for sportiness or "fun" in driving. Truth be told, I'd like a car that makes no pretenses to try to appeal to both markets; if I wanted a fun and fast ride, I'd wait for the BMW 135 coupe. But for the kind of driving I do, I prefer a car that offers more luxury than sport, especially because I drive a lot between LA, San Francisco, and Las Vegas: almost one long distance trip a month, if not more. For those kinds of trips, I'd rather fly in first-class than pilot a jet fighter, if you get my meaning.

Anyway, I wanted to know more about the new C-Class, especially the C300 Luxury model, and how well it fits my needs. Unfortunately, the Benz dealership near me isn't getting a demo model until later this month, so I wanted to get some preliminary impressions from all of you.

Based on what I've read on this forum, I seem to be in the minority in that I actually prefer the new styling over the old styling (I just never liked the quad headlamp design). The new styling reminds me of the old Mercedes my parents had. It has the classic Benz outline, with just enough new touches to look sleek and modern. But exterior styling is the only thing I know about it right now.

Interior-wise, I'm not so sure about, and that's what I'd like to know more about the C300 Luxury model before I start putting down deposits. How nice is the interior? How quiet is it? And how smooth is the ride?

(FYI, in case anyone was wondering, the only other car that I am seriously considering is the Lexus ES350, fully kitted out to $44k with pano roof, high-end audio, and navigation system. I've considered and ruled out the BMW 328, Infiniti G35 Sedan, and Lexus IS250 and IS350, because they don't offer the level of comfort I'm looking for.)
Old 07-06-2007, 04:33 PM

Well, the other car I was going to suggest was the Lexus ES350...but you beat me to it. The Lexus IS, Audi A4, BMW 3-series, Infiniti G35, even the Saab 9-3, are all cars that are for the most part aimed at people who who like to drive, or people who want to appear as though they like to drive.

In addition to the MB, have you considered Jaguar, Volvo or Buick (yes, Buick)? All of these manufacturers are known for cars with smooth rides and long legs.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gary in NJ
Well, the other car I was going to suggest was the Lexus ES350...but you beat me to it. The Lexus IS, Audi A4, BMW 3-series, Infiniti G35, even the Saab 9-3, are all cars that are for the most part aimed at people who who like to drive, or people who want to appear as though they like to drive.

In addition to the MB, have you considered Jaguar, Volvo or Buick (yes, Buick)? All of these manufacturers are known for cars with smooth rides and long legs.
Hmm, no I haven't. I've mostly limited my search to the brands I knew, and I didn't know enough about Jaguar, Volvo, or Buick to consider them this early in my search.

How would you compare the ES350 and the luxury model of the new C-Class? That's what I was really curious about. I'll start prelim research on the other brands you suggested.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:06 PM

Well, I haven't driven a new C-class, but I do have one on order (C300 Sport 6M). I guess that speaks to my confidence in MB to put out consistently good cars. I've had some very good past experience with the brand.

I've had a good chuckle with some of the other threads on this site. I'm trading my M3 for the C300. Now in my mid-40's, I have finally come to the realization that all-out performance isn't necessarily a good thing on public roads. Like you, I much prefer comfort, albeit performance oriented comfort.

Enjoy looking for your new ride. Cars come and go, but the arguments over performance go on-and-on.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:05 PM

I don't suppose there are any reviews from J.D. Power or CR, are there?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
The W204 has as of yet to be introduced to the general public in the US. There are plenty of reports of it on the web, magazines, as well as foreign forums. You might want to STFF those or wait until we have more members posting their impressions.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:45 AM

Waiting for W204 Facelift
Every age Go for MB !

Well, I haven't driven a new C-class, but I do have one on order (C300 Sport 6M). I guess that speaks to my confidence in MB to put out consistently good cars. I've had some very good past experience with the brand.

I've had a good chuckle with some of the other threads on this site. I'm trading my M3 for the C300. Now in my mid-40's, I have finally come to the realization that all-out performance isn't necessarily a good thing on public roads. Like you, I much prefer comfort, albeit performance oriented comfort.

Enjoy looking for your new ride. Cars come and go, but the arguments over performance go on-and-on.
You are very right ! But,
I am mid-30 and if I had money mid-20 I would go for only MB like I will get other ages too!

Could you tell us Man, Which colour you order ?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:04 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Hope it doesn't inherit the W203 quality issues.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by ismeto
You are very right ! But,
I am mid-30 and if I had money mid-20 I would go for only MB like I will get other ages too!

Could you tell us Man, Which colour you order ?
Mars Red. I guess I'm still a little juvenile
Old 07-09-2007, 03:10 PM

Waiting for W204 Facelift
Mars Red !

Mars Red. I guess I'm still a little juvenile

Are you sure

Do not Do that man

Choose another one maybe White or Gold one

I think if I money so much one car I would not consider Red
Old 07-09-2007, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by ismeto
Are you sure :
Of course I am. Over the years I have owned two color cars; red and black:

My '69 Camaro was red
My '71 240Z was red
My '85 CRXsi was red
My '86 MR2 was red
My '90 Eclipse was red
My wife's two Caravan's (2001 & 2003) have been red
My '05 M3 is red

Right now my other ride is a black Silverado, so red my C300 will be.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:26 AM

2011 E-class coupe, 2012 C-class
You will be walking from a cave and into a spaceship
Old 07-15-2007, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Did you check Jaguar X-type? I did comparison of X-Type with old C and found X-type more comfortable. You will have also very unique car, everyone is currently driving 3 series or C class. You can see also plenty of G35, and IS on road of California. Regarding new C, it's difficult to say something yet. Ask in August.

My cars are black or red too.

And I'd recommend to use plane for your trips. It will be cheaper and faster.

Last edited by Dema; 07-15-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by CountDrakul
First off, yes, this is a new car inquiry. I'm in the market for a new entry-level luxury car, upgrading from an 03 Corolla that served me well for college, but is now struggling on my long-distance trips.

Just to be clear, I'm different from my friends (and, apparently, from the rest of the 18-24 male demographic) in that I don't care much for sportiness or "fun" in driving. Truth be told, I'd like a car that makes no pretenses to try to appeal to both markets; if I wanted a fun and fast ride, I'd wait for the BMW 135 coupe. But for the kind of driving I do, I prefer a car that offers more luxury than sport, especially because I drive a lot between LA, San Francisco, and Las Vegas: almost one long distance trip a month, if not more. For those kinds of trips, I'd rather fly in first-class than pilot a jet fighter, if you get my meaning.

Anyway, I wanted to know more about the new C-Class, especially the C300 Luxury model, and how well it fits my needs. Unfortunately, the Benz dealership near me isn't getting a demo model until later this month, so I wanted to get some preliminary impressions from all of you.

Based on what I've read on this forum, I seem to be in the minority in that I actually prefer the new styling over the old styling (I just never liked the quad headlamp design). The new styling reminds me of the old Mercedes my parents had. It has the classic Benz outline, with just enough new touches to look sleek and modern. But exterior styling is the only thing I know about it right now.

Interior-wise, I'm not so sure about, and that's what I'd like to know more about the C300 Luxury model before I start putting down deposits. How nice is the interior? How quiet is it? And how smooth is the ride?

(FYI, in case anyone was wondering, the only other car that I am seriously considering is the Lexus ES350, fully kitted out to $44k with pano roof, high-end audio, and navigation system. I've considered and ruled out the BMW 328, Infiniti G35 Sedan, and Lexus IS250 and IS350, because they don't offer the level of comfort I'm looking for.)
You should get a diesel.

You definately don't want a Mercedes-Benz, even the luxury version is probably not comfortable enough for your tastes. Mercedes-Benz vehicles are designed to communicate the road to you, the Luxury version, despite its bias towards comfort is still tuned to communicate the road surface.

The luxury version still has 17 inch wheels. Very noisy and uncomfortable tires. Seats are also fairly firm. Ride will be choppy and firm on pot-holes.

If you require insulation from this, a Toyota Camry (4 cylinder XLE model with leather and Plasma Air Filtration system) will be more comfortable. Should you require something with more power, I suppose you could opt for the Lexus ES 350.

But you definately don't want a Mercedes-Benz.

Why not fly? Flying is more comfortable. If you're bringing people along with you (traveling with friends), then you should drive a larger and more comfortable Toyota Camry.

Good luck.

BTW, Count Dracula's castle in Romania is currently available for sale.

Last edited by patrick_y; 07-15-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 PM

2011 E-class coupe, 2012 C-class
Originally Posted by patrick_y
You should get a diesel.

You definately don't want a Mercedes-Benz, even the luxury version is probably not comfortable enough for your tastes. Mercedes-Benz vehicles are designed to communicate the road to you, the Luxury version, despite its bias towards comfort is still tuned to communicate the road surface.

The luxury version still has 17 inch wheels. Very noisy and uncomfortable tires. Seats are also fairly firm. Ride will be choppy and firm on pot-holes.

If you require insulation from this, a Toyota Camry (4 cylinder XLE model with leather and Plasma Air Filtration system) will be more comfortable. Should you require something with more power, I suppose you could opt for the Lexus ES 350.

But you definately don't want a Mercedes-Benz.

Why not fly? Flying is more comfortable. If you're bringing people along with you (traveling with friends), then you should drive a larger and more comfortable Toyota Camry.

Good luck.

BTW, Count Dracula's castle in Romania is currently available for sale.
Camry over a Mercedes? Are you serious?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:36 PM

C230K
No one's mentioned Honda products. What about the Accord or TL? I've driven a v6 accord and a w203 coupe on 30 mile commutes and I find the accord much more comfortable. If both of the next generation (8th gen accord coming out soon) accord and c class are as comparable as the previous generation, then you should consider an accord.

http://jalopnik.com/cars/accord_ing-...ord-272481.php
Looks great except for the chrome.

If you do insist on MB, then be sure to get the comfort version.

Last edited by dead_eye; 07-18-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
ES350 will give you the plushest ride.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:47 PM

C230K
Oh yeah, I also forgot to add. Idk where you're from but if you live where it rains hard or snows, get a 4wd or fwd car. Yeah, I know blasphemy, but try driving on a wet freeway turn and feel your rear tires giving way. Scary stuff.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by AR.Shah
Camry over a Mercedes? Are you serious?
I'm serious. The Camry in the US is much larger than the W204 C-Class and will give its passengers much more comfort. In my opinion, the Lexus ES350 is very similar to the Camry in both comfort and driving characteristics. Both are also much more comfortable than Mercedes.

For those kinds of long distances, a four cylinder should do the job nicely. Opt for a leather interior and the XLE trim package and the Camry is one up on the Lexus because it has a new "Plasma" air conditioning system that is more advanced than the one found on the ES350. The six cylinders are more likely to come with 17 inch wheels; he wouldn't want that, stick to the four cylinder (which is surprisingly powerful).
Old 07-19-2007, 12:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by patrick_y
I'm serious. The Camry in the US is much larger than the W204 C-Class and will give its passengers much more comfort. In my opinion, the Lexus ES350 is very similar to the Camry in both comfort and driving characteristics. Both are also much more comfortable than Mercedes.

For those kinds of long distances, a four cylinder should do the job nicely. Opt for a leather interior and the XLE trim package and the Camry is one up on the Lexus because it has a new "Plasma" air conditioning system that is more advanced than the one found on the ES350. The six cylinders are more likely to come with 17 inch wheels; he wouldn't want that, stick to the four cylinder (which is surprisingly powerful).
lol - the ES350 IS a Camry!

I don't know patrick_y, a V6 will be smoother than a I4 will be, and 17" wheels won't make a huge difference in ride quality vs. 16 or 15's. Make sure you get "touring" tires though.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by e1000
lol - the ES350 IS a Camry!

I don't know patrick_y, a V6 will be smoother than a I4 will be, and 17" wheels won't make a huge difference in ride quality vs. 16 or 15's. Make sure you get "touring" tires though.
I agree, the ES350 is a Camry. And if I was Countdrakul I would still take the Camry since it's got the "Plasma" air filtration system that the ES350 is not available with.

I think the I4 on the Camry is sufficiently smooth. I agree with you on the 17 inch wheels vs 16 inch wheels. However, since Countdrakul's main priority is comfort, I'd recommend that he go with the 16 inchers.