C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

MB Tex or Leather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:47 PM
QQQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY2001 C320
You can't go wrong either way. MB leather is not as supple as those in Japanese cars which are very soft but cracks easily, so it should last better with some maintenance (those Nappa leather on S class is a different story). MB Tex is very durable and hard to tell the difference from true leather.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:47 PM

2008 Mercedes C350 Sport
I have the black MB-Tex and I will admit, once I saw pics comparing the Tex to Leather, I didn't think that the Tex was going to look too luxurious with the lack of stitching on the doors, etc. However, I am VERY HAPPY with the MB-Tex. I have carried about 10 people in my car (not all at once for you smart@$$es) and only 1 person said that "your car smells like plastic" ... while this was very embarrassing, I quickly blamed it on my plastic rug covers. Air freshener has since remedied this smell. Either way, as a student, I don't have a whole lot of time to care for leather and the Tex will do just fine!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Almost a Member!

C300
Originally Posted by RLE
<<The only thing that is different between MB Tex and leather interior as far as the door panel goes is the center panel material (either Leather or MB Tex)>>

Having read this, I went out to the garage and checked my C300's Beige leather door panels. The panel below the wood is leather with stitches as is the armrest/door pull. The storage pocket below and the speaker surround are darker tan and the pocket exterior has a soft finish.
Yes, you are correct on the door pull area. I am sorry that I missed that part.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Lol I like this thread, heres just a few things to add. For the guy worried about chemicals in the seats...maybe he should worry about the cows that died to give him his nice leather..and how they are poorly treated sometimes living in little "jail cells" as to not hurt their skin on barb wire or other objects. As for cleaning of MB Tex..man I swear you can't hurt that stuff. I had ink..yes ink..on my seat thanks to a little friend and I used leather cleaner from armour all..make sure its the leather cleaner lotion and not actual armour all...and it took the ink right off. Like to see you try that with leather, leather is poreous and probably wouldn't take to having ink on it, could be wrong. By the way, I made this comment on another thread, but the leather option will set you back $1550...or you could take that money and purchase the P1 package and still have money left over to buy all season mats.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
Lol I like this thread, heres just a few things to add. For the guy worried about chemicals in the seats...maybe he should worry about the cows that died to give him his nice leather..and how they are poorly treated sometimes living in little "jail cells" as to not hurt their skin on barb wire or other objects. As for cleaning of MB Tex..man I swear you can't hurt that stuff. I had ink..yes ink..on my seat thanks to a little friend and I used leather cleaner from armour all..make sure its the leather cleaner lotion and not actual armour all...and it took the ink right off. Like to see you try that with leather, leather is poreous and probably wouldn't take to having ink on it, could be wrong. By the way, I made this comment on another thread, but the leather option will set you back $1550...or you could take that money and purchase the P1 package and still have money left over to buy all season mats.
Then we get to eat those cows later on, right?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:03 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
As for cleaning of MB Tex..man I swear you can't hurt that stuff. I had ink..yes ink..on my seat thanks to a little friend and I used leather cleaner from armour all..make sure its the leather cleaner lotion and not actual armour all...and it took the ink right off. Like to see you try that with leather, leather is poreous and probably wouldn't take to having ink on it, could be wrong. By the way, I made this comment on another thread, but the leather option will set you back $1550...or you could take that money and purchase the P1 package and still have money left over to buy all season mats.[/QUOTE]

I just finished using Zanio Leather Cleaner on my MB Tex ...yes i know its not leather but i love the Zaino since it makes that new car smell come out all over again hmmmm i just luv that scent
Old 11-17-2007, 12:23 PM
RBP

I will always hear the voice of Ricardo Montalban describing the soft corinthian leather echoing throughout eternity....

It is a Mercedes-Benz and deserves the luxury of authentic leather with its unique tactility and subtle natural scent...
Old 11-17-2007, 12:58 PM

red bicycle
Originally Posted by RBP
I will always hear the voice of Ricardo Montalban describing the soft corinthian leather echoing throughout eternity....

It is a Mercedes-Benz and deserves the luxury of authentic leather with its unique tactility and subtle natural scent...
But then again, a long-standing (and hopefully still extant) tradition of Mercedes-Benz is designing cars to last, and the brand has long been associated with durability, hence MB-Tex . . .

Last edited by whatup?; 11-17-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by whatup?
But then again, a long-standing (and hopefully still extant) tradition of Mercedes-Benz is designing cars to last, and the brand has long been associated with durability, hence MB-Tex . . .

A lot of the MBs back then had MBTex and if you look at the condition today, some still look like new.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:20 PM

2008 C300 Luxury 4matic
So far I am loving the leather. But it's only been a day. The new car smell did give me a bad headache. Perhaps from the leather.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:07 AM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
Originally Posted by GPI
The new C-class has MB Tex as standard for the C300 sport. Since I've not experienced a Benz with MB Tex, I would like to know the pros and cons of it. Compared to leather, what are the pros and cons of the MB Tex? Would you rather have MB Tex or get the leather upholstery option?

If you have small children go MB Tex, if you don't go leather.

My local taxi driver has 2 E classes, the 2005 has MB Tex, the interior looks like new, the 2007 has leather and looks quite worn already, I don't think it will look anywhere near as good as the MB Tex after 4-5 years of taxi abuse.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:40 PM

528i, GLK
This thread is becoming like a conversation with your wife about getting the family couch. "honey, should we get leather or cloth or vinyl?" "leather will feel ice cold in the winter..." "kids... gotta worry about the kids..." "the dog will pee on the $4000 italian leather, no way!"

honest, being a first time MB buyer, I sat in MB-tex seat without even realizing its not leather. Only way I was able to tell was running my hands through the finish on the leather of Saks-edition and MB-tex, side by side. Even then I thought MB-tex was just a "cheaper grade" leather. It wasn't until I got back home and started reading the options/details did I realized I was sitting on Vinyl.
(and I drive a BMW with leather currently!)

Its a shame that leather is not part of any p1 or p2 package. almost every luxury car makers out there do that. guess MB just trying to lower the purchase entry point.

Although MB-tex is fine, I am willing to bet that if MB-tex and leather were no -cost options, most of you will choose leather.....
Old 12-09-2007, 03:23 PM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
Originally Posted by webada
This thread is becoming like a conversation with your wife about getting the family couch. "honey, should we get leather or cloth or vinyl?" "leather will feel ice cold in the winter..." "kids... gotta worry about the kids..." "the dog will pee on the $4000 italian leather, no way!"

There are probably loads of people sitting on vinyl sofa's thinking it leather.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Bump
Old 01-10-2008, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I love the MB Tex. We're vegetarians and don't buy leather goods, so being able to get the car with the least amount of leather (only the steering wheel and gear knob surroundings) made me very happy, and the MB Tex is super comfortable. Really enjoy it.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
leather
Old 01-12-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
Moderator -- merge with other leather vs. MBtex thread??
Old 01-14-2008, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Am I the only sane person left on Earth who sits in the car with pants on? If your butts are sensitive enough to feel the difference between MB-Tex and leather through layers of wool or cotton, MB-Tex vs leather is the last thing I'd worry about. Suppleness of the seat does not depend solely on the surface material. Hence the above example of Japanese car's seat vs. European cars or Napa leather.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:53 PM

c320
seems the main reason that m=b sales try to sell mb tex is that there is no leather cars in system and must be ordered .2 to 3 months delv y.can a softer material be placed into seat?