C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Luxury vs. Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MBTex
First time MB Buyer here...

I was seriously considering going with the C300 Luxury because of the interior wood trim, but I saw the Sport model and really liked the look of it. Dealer says I can get a Sport with Bird'e Eye Maple interior rather than the standard Sport trim that I am not crazy about. Anyone have a pic of what that interior may look like?

Any other significant differences between the Sport/Luxury models (besides transmission and appearance)? Has anyone seen the two together?

I'm in the market to order, but am hesitant to order the Sport without looking at the Luxury.
I had to reply to this message.Its my first post here!Im from Greece and I ve just ordered the luxury version of the car!I had exactly the same problem and I found the solution.... I got the luxury edition and I ve changed the mask of the car and costed me around 300 euros!So now i have the posh interior with an avantagarde look exterior.Look at the picture of the transformation.Now i ve got the the third car with the luxury interior shown on the second picture!
Simple!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Luxury vs. Sport-3mercs.jpg   Luxury vs. Sport-bbb.jpg  

Last edited by kritikos79; 08-02-2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by V8 AMG
If you scroll up to posting #9 above, and look at the uploaded photos, it shows the memory seat buttons on the door trim ( 1,2,3 and M). So i dont understand why people say there are no memory seats.

The pictures I posted were of an MBUSA owned press car. It is possible that they speced different features and hadn't yet decided what packages they would offer US customers.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:06 PM
GPI
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 (sold), W204 (sold), W124
Who will choose the C300 Luxury over the C300 sport? Is it because of the interior?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by V8 AMG
MB Tex, for an idea of what different trims look like, you can check out this link (for australian market) and spec your car up with diff exterior and interior colours and wheels to get an idea....

http://www2.mercedes-benz.com.au/con...asssaloon.html

Once in page, go to bottom right where it saids "C Class webspecial" and click on that. Warning: high speed internet access required....have fun !
Thanks...I plan on giving it a try. Is anyone aware of any interior options (colors, trim) that is offered down under that is not offered in states?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by kritikos79
I had to reply to this message.Its my first post here!Im from Greece and I ve just ordered the luxury version of the car!I had exactly the same problem and I found the solution.... I got the luxury edition and I ve changed the mask of the car and costed me around 300 euros!So now i have the posh interior with an avantagarde look exterior.Look at the picture of the transformation.Now i ve got the the third car with the luxury interior shown on the second picture!
Simple!!!!!!
Interesting idea...was it that easy just to change the grille? I must say a part of my likes the traditional hood ornament, but the sport grille does look nice.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by GPI
Who will choose the C300 Luxury over the C300 sport? Is it because of the interior?
I can't speak for others, but really the only reason why I would choose the luxury over the sport is the interior. I'm looking for elegance and I don't see it in the 300 Sport, which is why I'm wondering about the wood trim being available. I think I would like the 350 if you could get the luxury interior put into it. I believe MB will probably increase the hp in future models and I think getting a 350 now would almost be the only way to keep up.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:24 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
If I was to buy, which is most unlikely without seat mermory, I would want the Luxury model. I don't want the low profile staggered wheel setup and the stiffer suspension of the Sport model. I had a CLK 430 with staggered wheels and I hated the ride and the fear of ruining a tire & wheel if I hit a pothole.
The only reason I would consider the Sport would be to get the 350 engine which I really like in my 06 C350. The 300 is probably ok but I'm spoiled by the 350.
I do prefer the standard grille and burled walnut wood but those items wouldn't be a deal breaker.
Sadly, after over 40 MB's it looks like I will have to pass on this one for such a ridiculous thing as our "gods" not letting us have certain options.
The lack of seat memory is definitely a deal breaker. Every competitor has all of these items and more.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:32 PM
GPI
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 (sold), W204 (sold), W124
Originally Posted by MB-JIM
If I was to buy, which is most unlikely without seat mermory, I would want the Luxury model. I don't want the low profile staggered wheel setup and the stiffer suspension of the Sport model. I had a CLK 430 with staggered wheels and I hated the ride and the fear of ruining a tire & wheel if I hit a pothole.
The only reason I would consider the Sport would be to get the 350 engine which I really like in my 06 C350. The 300 is probably ok but I'm spoiled by the 350.
I do prefer the standard grille and burled walnut wood but those items wouldn't be a deal breaker.
Sadly, after over 40 MB's it looks like I will have to pass on this one for such a ridiculous thing as our "gods" not letting us have certain options.
The lack of seat memory is definitely a deal breaker. Every competitor has all of these items and more.
Just wondering, how is the comfort of the seat of your '06 C350? Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should take the Luxury or not.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by GPI
Just wondering, how is the comfort of the seat of your '06 C350? Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should take the Luxury or not.
I have a 2005 C240 Luxury and it is very comfortable. The ride is great without being floaty, and the suspenion can certainly handle it if you decide to push it.

I wonder how hard will it be to drill a hole in the hood of the sport sedan and put back the proper Mercedes star...

I'm definately not getting the C-Class this year, too many features missing, not to mention old engines. Mercedes has proven in the past that they always will one up BMW on the horsepower war, it just might take a year or two.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:24 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
My 06 C350 is very comfortable and it handles well under all conditions. I like it much better than my E350 that it replaced. I feel the handling is significantly better than the E350. Also, my E350 had SBC brakes that may be technically superior but I hated the feel and noise from that system. There is really nothing I can fault with the C350. It is a keeper and the W204 would replace our MB wagon.
I was really looking forward to a W204 C350 with all its new features. I really feel awful that I can't buy one because of no seat memory. I simply couldn't get one without memory and do that to my wife. Maybe the 09's will have this basic feature so I may buy then if I don't get one of the fully equipped competitor models in the coming year.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
I would just hold off until they add the seat memory and bigger engines. Please don't buy a competeting car Mercedes will get their act together soon enough.

BTW, I just noticed that you live in Paradise Valley. My dad took us to Elements at the Sanctuary (I think?) last year. Cool place and nice view.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Almost a Member!

'08 E350 4Matic/ '04 Lexus GX470/ 3 Harleys & 3 Snowmobiles
Originally Posted by pmb600
I would just hold off until they add the seat memory and bigger engines. Please don't buy a competeting car Mercedes will get their act together soon enough.

BTW, I just noticed that you live in Paradise Valley. My dad took us to Elements at the Sanctuary (I think?) last year. Cool place and nice view.
Do you think they will add those options during the model year or will they wait until the 2009 model? I am so undecided about this issue and really do not want to wait another year.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by MBTex
Interesting idea...was it that easy just to change the grille? I must say a part of my likes the traditional hood ornament, but the sport grille does look nice.
Yes my friend the car is exactly the same and the differences are the grill the star on the hood and the front bumper that has a net on the sport edition and a bit of more chrome on the fog lights (that i dont like it anyway) .The interior on the luxury edition is 10 times better than the sport ones (matter of taste i suppose) so you Just order the luxury and buy the avantgarde grill from a merc merchantiser and takes 10 minutes to change it (ask em to do it)!Costs around 200-300 dollars and you get the look on the attached picture!
Attached Thumbnails Luxury vs. Sport-wallpaperelegance.jpg  
Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Yes my friend the car is exactly the same and the differences are the grill the star on the hood and the front bumper that has a net on the sport edition and a bit of more chrome on the fog lights (that i dont like it anyway) .The interior on the luxury edition is 10 times better than the sport ones (matter of taste i suppose) so you Just order the luxury and buy the avantgarde grill from a merc merchantiser and takes 10 minutes to change it (ask em to do it)!Costs around 200-300 dollars and you get the look on the attached picture!
I think I may be getting sold on your plan. The Luxury won't have the sport styling of the 350, but i think the grill will sure make it sporty enough. I haven't seen a luxury in person yet, but I think I'm really going to love the interior. Just too bad we can't get the larger engine in it.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
The C350 Sport in the US comes standard with the black birdseye maple trim. This is confirmed by the build list for my car, which will be built next week.

TEAShea
from Nebraska
Old 08-07-2007, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Well I just noticed that the Luxury comes with a "Sport Grill Kit" option for $191....Now there's how you get that done. Sporty looking exterior on a Lux ride.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:01 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Sport grill kit??

<<Well I just noticed that the Luxury comes with a "Sport Grill Kit" option for $191....Now there's how you get that done. Sporty looking exterior on a Lux ride.>>

Where did you see this information? Is this offered for US models? What's the option code? The cutoff date for order changes for my car is still in the unknown future. $191 is certainly cheaper than buying the parts for a DIY conversion.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by RLE
<<Well I just noticed that the Luxury comes with a "Sport Grill Kit" option for $191....Now there's how you get that done. Sporty looking exterior on a Lux ride.>>

Where did you see this information? Is this offered for US models? What's the option code? The cutoff date for order changes for my car is still in the unknown future. $191 is certainly cheaper than buying the parts for a DIY conversion.
It's on the MBUSA website. Select Build Your Own...2008 C300 Luxury. Then click the Accessories Tab and it is listed about 1/2 way down the "Exterior Appearance" section. Sorry, it doesn't list a product code, but it is there for you to print and bring to your dealer.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:46 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA build-your-own?

<<It's on the MBUSA website. Select Build Your Own...2008 C300 Luxury. Then click the Accessories Tab and it is listed about 1/2 way down the "Exterior Appearance" section. Sorry, it doesn't list a product code, but it is there for you to print and bring to your dealer.>>

I have just tried to build my own and the site is really screwed up.
If you select the P2 package, it also adds the P1 package which is included in P2. And adds the $1400 to boot. If I ignore that and deduct the $1400, the price comes up the same as my car will be.

Further, under accessories, it shows a bunch of optional wheels with no pictures and then adds that tires are extra. And all kinds of stuff that comes in a box unpainted.

But I know that the Lux has no wheel options and the prices they quote could be beaten easily elsewhere. I will ask my salesman about the grill option but I'll bet it's not available.

My opinion of MBUSA's competence is unchanged.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by RLE
<<It's on the MBUSA website. Select Build Your Own...2008 C300 Luxury. Then click the Accessories Tab and it is listed about 1/2 way down the "Exterior Appearance" section. Sorry, it doesn't list a product code, but it is there for you to print and bring to your dealer.>>

I have just tried to build my own and the site is really screwed up.
If you select the P2 package, it also adds the P1 package which is included in P2. And adds the $1400 to boot. If I ignore that and deduct the $1400, the price comes up the same as my car will be.

Further, under accessories, it shows a bunch of optional wheels with no pictures and then adds that tires are extra. And all kinds of stuff that comes in a box unpainted.

But I know that the Lux has no wheel options and the prices they quote could be beaten easily elsewhere. I will ask my salesman about the grill option but I'll bet it's not available.

My opinion of MBUSA's competence is unchanged.
Yes I've noticed those "errors" as well. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the AMG rims were an option in the Lux, but not at $3300!! I also have tried to see what the other optioned rims look like without success.

The P1/P2 things is definately a screw up. I haven't had too much experience with MBUSA or their website, but I have learned more about the car on this forum than I think even my dealer knows.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:57 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Options

<<Yes I've noticed those "errors" as well. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the AMG rims were an option in the Lux, but not at $3300!! I also have tried to see what the other optioned rims look like without success.

The P1/P2 things is definitely a screw up. I haven't had too much experience with MBUSA or their website, but I have learned more about the car on this forum than I think even my dealer knows.>>

I just returned from my dealer's storage lot where I examined the nine cars that were delivered yesterday. Seven black, one Palladium Silver and one Steel Grey. All Sport models. Some of the Sports had the 18" AMG wheels and at least one C300 had the 17" AMG which is not very attractive. No Multimedia packages were seen.

There is one black C350 Sport with no options whatsoever. It has the 17" staggered wheels which are different than the C300 Sport wheels and look pretty good.

I headed on up to the showroom and spoke to my salesman. It turns out that all the optional wheels listed for the C300 on the MBUSA website (no pictures) are dealer installed which explains why tires for them are extra. Yes, the prices are ridiculous.

I asked about the Sport grille conversion kit and it is purchased from the parts department to be installed later. The part number is BQ6880105 and the retail price is $200.00

The trunk drawer (which I have now in my C320) is part number B6660002 and the price is $119. Also from the parts department.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by RLE

The trunk drawer (which I have now in my C320) is part number B6660002 and the price is $119. Also from the parts department.
I haven't heard of the trunk drawer? Worth it? Where located/how big?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 PM

RLE can you tell me how the steel gray looked in person.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:29 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trunk drawer

<<I haven't heard of the trunk drawer? Worth it? Where located/how big?>>

It's 18" wide, 5" high and 13" deep and slides in and out on aluminum rails mounted under the package shelf on the right side. It can be removed for bulky trunk items. I keep my Owners manual, cameras, flashlights and so on in it. Things I don't want rolling around in the glove box.

Perhaps I will post a picture of it tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Steel Grey

<<can you tell me how the steel gray looked in person.>>

I took some pictures of it but the cars were pretty close together plus it was an overcast day so the color didn't look like it might in the sunshine. I haven't downloaded today's pictures yet but I will see if they are of use and if so I will post them tomorrow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Luxury vs. Sport